PDA

View Full Version : Humbolt Squid Uprising ~

mrm777
07-16-2009, 17:45
In California............

Jumbo squid invade San Diego shores, spook divers (http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D99FNF0O0&show_article=1)

tonka97
07-16-2009, 18:09
In California............

Jumbo squid invade San Diego shores, spook divers (http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D99FNF0O0&show_article=1)

Overblown headline.

I would love to dive with them!

:smiley20:

CompuDude
07-16-2009, 18:09
Jumbo squid invade San Diego beaches (http://www.azcentral.com/travel/features/articles/2009/07/16/20090716squid0716.html)

YouTube - Trouble in Paradise (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcKQt5hHDXg)

I'm not sure whether to be ecstatic or terrified. Those Humboldts are scary mofos.

CompuDude
07-16-2009, 18:10
Overblown headline.

I would love to dive with them!

:smiley20:

Not overblown. I'd love to dive with them, too.

In chainmail, and suspended from a steel cable.

mrmccoy
07-16-2009, 18:27
It would be cool to dive with them but with all the proper saftey equipment like CompuDude said! That beak would bother me the most

CompuDude
07-16-2009, 18:52
The beak of the bigger ones can take grapefruit-sized chunks of flesh out.

They're also WAY stronger in the water than we are. I've wanted to dive with them since I first met Scott Cassell, but his initial encounter story scares the crap out of me. A squid grabbed him and hauled him down 40 feet in the blink of an eye, so fast his ear drum burst from the fast pressure change with no time to equalize.

Behold the Humboldt Squid | Outside Online (http://outside.away.com/outside/features/200607/sea-of-cortez-humboldt-squid-1.html)

I want to wear armor, though.

The thought of them coming up here, locally, and having some not-overly-friendly interactions with local divers definitely doesn't sit entirely well.

fisheater
07-16-2009, 20:23
Some theorize that the man-induced crashing of the shark population has let this particular genie out of the bottle.

navyhmc
07-16-2009, 20:36
I don't know if I would want that swim. I recall and article (probably Scott Cassell) that had the diver wearing a pseudo-suit of armor as he was worried that one of the squid could literally slice into his chest or abdomen creating a life-threatening injury.

Not my idea of good times!

mrm777
07-17-2009, 16:44
Option 1: Cage diving

Option 2: Chain mail & cable

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I guess I'll go with cage diving.......

CompuDude
07-17-2009, 17:13
Option 1: Cage diving

Option 2: Chain mail & cable

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I guess I'll go with cage diving.......

What makes you think squid can't get into a cage? It'll stop you from being dragged down the deep, but it certainly won't stop the big squid from getting you. Not shark cages, at least... perhaps if they covered the cage with chain link fencing, it would do the job, though.

navyhmc
07-17-2009, 21:00
I have a feeling they could get to you-even through the chain link. May not be able to pull you through, but they might be able to get a tentacle or two on you.

neugierig
07-17-2009, 22:00
they look like amazing and dangerous creatures. would love to dive with them with the right safety equipment

CompuDude
07-18-2009, 01:57
I have a feeling they could get to you-even through the chain link. May not be able to pull you through, but they might be able to get a tentacle or two on you.

Absolutely. But they couldn't get their beak on you, nor could they drag you to depth, and those are the biggest concerns. You can always pull away from one or two tentacles, especially with something solid (the immovable cage) to push against. Any squid small enough to squeeze through chain link is small enough that I feel I could take them on. It's the big ones that can put a world of hurt on you.

navyhmc
07-18-2009, 02:09

Absolutely. But they couldn't get their beak on you, nor could they drag you to depth, and those are the biggest concerns. You can always pull away from one or two tentacles, especially with something solid (the immovable cage) to push against. Any squid small enough to squeeze through chain link is small enough that I feel I could take them on. It's the big ones that can put a world of hurt on you.

I learned my lesson from "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" I don't want to play there. :smiley36: Can a stun gun be used underwater??

Dive Rong
07-18-2009, 12:14
Maybe if we feed them they'll leave us alone - after all... SQUID PRO QUO

Jack Hammer
07-18-2009, 14:43
My biggest concern would actually being getting my expensive to replace gear ruined or lost to curious tentacles with sharp teeth. That and getting 'mugged' by them. That seems to be a realistic concern regardless of 'armor' or cages. Honestly, I think I'll wait for IMAX or some documentary team to film something with them then just imagine I was actually there.

Jack

Travelnsj
07-19-2009, 13:02
My biggest concern is that Water Temp.....if that water were just 82....I would be diving with them!

chinacat46
07-19-2009, 13:29
My biggest concern is that Water Temp.....if that water were just 82....I would be diving with them!

Thats your story and your sticking to it! :smilie40:

Mtrewyn
07-19-2009, 17:44
There is a guy on Discovery that was looking for the Squid in baja Cal. looking for them, maybe he'll go up there to find them.

He had Plate armor of something like Carbon fiber and or kevlar with something like a "shark" suit under it.

It is a pretty cool program if you get a chance to watch it, its is called something like "killer squid" or something along those lines.

CompuDude
07-20-2009, 16:14
There is a guy on Discovery that was looking for the Squid in baja Cal. looking for them, maybe he'll go up there to find them.

He had Plate armor of something like Carbon fiber and or kevlar with something like a "shark" suit under it.

It is a pretty cool program if you get a chance to watch it, its is called something like "killer squid" or something along those lines.

Yes, Scott Cassel, the guy I was talking about above. He's made several shows about them, a couple of which aired on Discovery Channel.

He still runs tours: Giant Squid Diving - Dosidicus Gigas - Mexico (http://www.sharkdiver.com/package_squid.html)

Travelnsj
07-20-2009, 17:49
The only thing holding me back from the La Jolla waters is 58 degrees! I would love to dive with the Squid!

Mtrewyn
07-20-2009, 17:58

Yes, Scott Cassel, the guy I was talking about above. He's made several shows about them, a couple of which aired on Discovery Channel.

He still runs tours: Giant Squid Diving - Dosidicus Gigas - Mexico (http://www.sharkdiver.com/package_squid.html)

I didn't make that connection, That is pretty cool that you met him!