PDA

View Full Version : Apollo Bio Filter

terrillja
08-26-2007, 17:35
I did my AOW and Rescue classes earlier this summer, and was getting bad headaches from breathing very dry air, my throat was killing, etc. I emailed Joe, and he said that the Apollo reg had made him enjoy diving again, so I figured it would be worth a try. I bought one that night, and have used it ever since, have never had any problems, and my dad even did his OW checkout dives using my reg, just so he could see how well it works. He is now looking to buy one as well, because he liked it so much. A great buy, highly recommended. The fill valve works perfectly, and allows you to make multiple dives without breaking down the device between dives.

Cichlid
08-26-2007, 20:35
Sweet, thanks for the review!

chewyjr15
09-15-2007, 20:33
where does it go? does it put moisture back into the air or what?

terrillja
09-16-2007, 03:19
where does it go? does it put moisture back into the air or what?
It is an intermediate between the first stage and the reg hose to your second stage. It works by using a wick, which you add water to, this water then evaporates into the air, making the air coming to your second stage more moist.

TommyB
09-16-2007, 04:21
My Wife loves it.
Just hooked it up pn my setup last night.

Here's some details of the thing-

http://www.apollosportsusa.com/documents/reg/manual-bfilterv3upd07mayc.pdf

It's only rated to 130fsw and not to be used with EAN over 40%..
Very easy to install, and as mentioned it helped Teresa's dry-mouth issues.

Tommy //

jo8243
09-18-2007, 10:18
What % humidity is the air after it leaves the biofilter under normal breathing load? Has this been measured by anyone?

mdb1
09-18-2007, 10:59
What % humidity is the air after it leaves the biofilter under normal breathing load? Has this been measured by anyone?

jo8243: Normally, 30-40%
www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Regulators/Moisture_Overview.htm

sudnit5
09-18-2007, 14:25
This is going to be next on my list of things to purchase.

scubafreak
09-21-2007, 18:00
Anyone know where I can buy one online?

NitroWill
09-21-2007, 18:05

Scuba Toys, of course!

http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=BioFilter

ScubaToys Larry
09-21-2007, 18:50

You do realize that we're going to take 50 off your post count for even saying this?! :smiley36:

Cichlid
09-23-2007, 12:02

You do realize that we're going to take 50 off your post count for even saying this?! :smiley36:

:smilie39:

Best question of the year.

Keiths
09-23-2007, 17:25
Wow I never even heard of this before Very cool. Something Im going to really look into.

quasimoto
09-23-2007, 17:50
Be sure and keep it clean. Moisture and dark mean mold and you really don't want to breath mold. I had one and it wasn't worth the trouble to me. I put a small mint in my mouth before a dive and it works better and costs a lot less.

scubasavvy
09-23-2007, 20:53
Be sure and keep it clean. Moisture and dark mean mold and you really don't want to breath mold. I had one and it wasn't worth the trouble to me. I put a small mint in my mouth before a dive and it works better and costs a lot less.

I second that statement. It seems to me that it would retain moisture and I think you have to change the filters constantly. Just something to think about. The mints are a lot cheaper than the filter....

crpntr133
09-23-2007, 21:10
I think the mold issue is one that needs to be taken into consideration. For a lot of divers it won't be because they dive once a year on vacation. They simply remove the wick and replace it next time. There is still the possibility of mold. This is one reason why I have never gotten one.

azdiver
12-19-2007, 16:50
how much are the replacement filters?

MSilvia
12-19-2007, 17:06
I'd be concerned that additional mositure would contribute to increased chance of icing and free flow in cold water, but I can see where it would be nice otherwise.

terrillja
12-19-2007, 18:17
It seems to me that it would retain moisture and I think you have to change the filters constantly.

I have yet to change the filter. If you are referring to changing the wick, still yet to do that, I just take it out after diving and let it dry. In between dives you can add water without taking the bio-filter apart.

terrillja
12-19-2007, 18:20
I'd be concerned that additional mositure would contribute to increased chance of icing and free flow in cold water, but I can see where it would be nice otherwise.

I have taken mine with water temp of 36, air temp of 28, and no problems at all. I even puged for a bit to see if the expanding gas would cool it and freeze the reg. I won't be using it for ice dives, but haven't had any issues with it otherwise.

BTW, it was an Oceanic CDX5 with GT3 that I used.

mdb1
12-20-2007, 10:09
how much are the replacement filters?

azdiver: The replacement activated charcoal filters are $9.00.
Moisture wicks are $10.00. A wick/filter kit, with 1 moisture wick and 3 filters is available @ $32.00.

Apollo Sports: Dive Gear: Regulators: Bio-Filter (http://www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Regulators/Biofilter.htm)

Travelnsj
12-20-2007, 13:21
I have one of the original Bio-filters that I got when they first came out....Now you have the wick and the filter together????...So I have to buy another device and have another outdated product?...%^#X&*%!!!!...no fair...mdb1...did you plan it that way?.....LOL

mdb1
12-20-2007, 14:07
I have one of the original Bio-filters that I got when they first came out....Now you have the wick and the filter together????...So I have to buy another device and have another outdated product?...%^#X&*%!!!!...no fair...mdb1...did you plan it
that way?.....LOL

Travelnsj: Nope we still have a separate moisturizing wick and charcoal filter, parts are available for the older models, no problem, just give us a call @ 800.231.0909 or e-mail @ [email protected] We do strive to improve all our products, but no outdates, we still carry parts and service for products from all earlier models.

bfindley
04-18-2008, 11:42
I've been thinking about these for a long time. I really hate the dry mouth after a day of diving.

mdb1
04-25-2008, 10:17
I've been thinking about these for a long time. I really hate the dry mouth after a day of diving.

bfindley:We get a Lot of good positive comments from divers who are diving with clean, moist air:
Apollo Sports: Dive Gear (http://www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Regulators/Moisture_Overview.htm)

freeski4ever
06-05-2008, 01:21
I wish there was a way to clean/sterilize the filter after removing it from the canister. After a few dives, my filter started to develop mildew/mold, albeit storing it in a dry warm environment. I do not want to spend the money on a new filter element as I am sure that there is an alternative that exists which would allow me to sterilize/clean my filter using UV light or something along those lines.

mdb1
06-26-2008, 11:13
I wish there was a way to clean/sterilize the filter after removing it from the canister. After a few dives, my filter started to develop mildew/mold, albeit storing it in a dry warm environment. I do not want to spend the money on a new filter element as I am sure that there is an alternative that exists which would allow me to sterilize/clean my filter using UV light or something along those lines.

freeski4ever: One method to clean a moisture wick that is showing mildew is to use a very small amount of bleach, a drop or two, and soak in fresh water. Too much bleach and the moisture wick will disintegrate. The foam is very high density and does take time to dry completely before being stored. Replacement moisture wicks are $10.00.

Apollo Sports: Dive Gear: Regulators: Bio-Filter (http://www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Regulators/Biofilter.htm)

GreenJimmy
10-13-2008, 15:41
A lot of questions on what the filter is and where to get it - but I am more interested in hearing from those who have one. Can you tell a difference with each breath? I don't suffer from many dive headaches - but taking in a nice humid breath would be nice :)

caveman
10-30-2008, 20:14
I've had mine for the last four years. I replaced a wick and a filter over that period. Beats a dry throat and sinus infection if you dive 12 to 14 times in a week like I do on vacation.

Splitlip
01-18-2009, 16:16
A lot of questions on what the filter is and where to get it - but I am more interested in hearing from those who have one. Can you tell a difference with each breath? I don't suffer from many dive headaches - but taking in a nice humid breath would be nice :)

I used one for the first time today. It is nothing less than amazing. It is the best money I have ever spent..on anything.

I have been diving for over 30 years. Dry mouth and throat have always been something I just dealt with. I would often cough. I was more comfortable with one of my old metal barrel regs and was considering a new second stage. Decided to pull the trigger and give this a try.

Breathing is as good or better than where I sit now. The added bonus of which I was unaware, I think I do truly feel more refreshed.

padi1029
01-25-2009, 18:54
What comes in the box? Is it just one unit or does the moisture wick have replacements? Is there some type of charcoal filter? does the moisture inside your reg hoses cause any problems as far as bacteria or damage?

Splitlip
01-25-2009, 20:32
1 moisture wick and 2 charcola filters.

http://apollosportsusa.com/documents/reg/manual-bfilterv3upd07mayc.pdf

lund0485
01-26-2009, 14:37
I borrowed one from a friend when I went diving in Hawaii last year. The newer models look great because you don't have to unscrew the body anymore to add water to the filter. I don't think I would dive these with nitrox though.