PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Water Ear Problems

underwaterdan
08-26-2007, 19:01
:smiley5:I liked dutch springs, but had the worse ear infections of my life about 2 days after I left.... Just a warning to everyone be careful of swimmers ear - let them DRY!

Jaymeany
08-26-2007, 19:37
1:1 white vinegar to rubbing alcohol....works like a charm!

underwaterdan
08-27-2007, 11:09
After? On a qtip or something?

Cheddarchick
08-27-2007, 12:02
lay on your side, put 5 drops in each ear, leave in for 5 minutes.

Jaymeany
08-27-2007, 12:24
we rinse right after every time we get out of the water. Cap full in your ear for 30 seconds or so, dump and repeat on other ear. I will do it one last time after we have cleaned the boat off or later that night to make sure I got everything.

Flatliner
08-27-2007, 14:44
Doc's ProPlugs...

thor
08-28-2007, 14:22
Does your doctor think this is specific to Dutch Springs? Is there something lurking in the water we should know about?

TAH 73
08-28-2007, 14:49
After doing fresh-water water analysis for a job, drops go in after every dive. Quarries are the worst due to the size of the body of water (smaller), relatively warm water tempature, lack of current, and little water change in areas close to shore.

caroln
08-28-2007, 17:14
I don't think it's specific to DS, just to more enclosed bodies of water. I know we were advised to use the ear solution after diving the cenotes in Mexico too due to a lot of people getting ear infections.

underwaterdan
08-28-2007, 18:35
I think it had to do with hood I wore too, but it could just be me being paranoid. I got some antibiotics from the DR for each time I dive. Anyone get ear infections in salt water too?

Condor
10-11-2007, 13:33
Ear infections in fresh water lakes and quarries are quite common. I worked at a YMCA camp and after swim time was over each camper received a squirt of diluted white vinegar in each ear with an eye dropper. We never used rubbing alcohol (I am not even sure it's a good idea). Any ear doctors have any comments on this?

Sansho
10-21-2007, 23:20
We never used rubbing alcohol (I am not even sure it's a good idea). Any ear doctors have any comments on this?I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV ....

The bottle of 'Swimmers Aid' I picked up, supposed to be the same as AuroDry for drying ears, is 95% isopropyl alcohol and 5% glycerin. Says 'safe for children' on the label.

A bottle of rubbing alcohol I have says it's isopropyl alcohol 70%.

Ohmdiver
10-25-2007, 21:01
Happens in lakes too. My regular dive buddy pours a dose rubbing alcohol in each ear after every dive. I never had a problem. But I know those who have

lucidblue
10-26-2007, 21:41
My ears bother me every time I dive at Dutch. The 50/50 white vinegar/rubbing alcohol has helped a lot. I forgot to put it in after my last dive this past weekend and one of my ears is really starting to ache...

Babster
04-19-2008, 08:22
~Now~ I understand. Yup - happened to me too last August at Dutch Springs. Left ear got infected so bad it closed up entirely. At first I thought it might be a barotrauma, so I called DAN just in case. They said it sounded like an inner ear bacterial infection, which the ENT I went to confirmed. Cure involved 3 trips to the ENT and Ciprodex with a wick. Not fun. I will faithfully rinse as described here from now on!

johnyringo
04-19-2008, 11:25
I think it had to do with hood I wore too, but it could just be me being paranoid. I got some antibiotics from the DR for each time I dive. Anyone get ear infections in salt water too?

Yes, last time I was in Cozumel I ended up with an ear infection. I found a pharmacy there and the guy sold me an antibiotic solution for the ears. Cleared it right up...after a fashion. I pack it in my 1st aid kit now.

mselizann
04-23-2008, 13:37
this is good info- I often have ear problems
I will try this too

CompuDude
04-23-2008, 16:43
lay on your side, put 5 drops in each ear, leave in for 5 minutes.

You'll do better to fill the entire ear canal. Not so much it's spilling out, but more than 5 drops, generally.

It's absurdly cheap to mix, so don't be stingy.

Swim Ear is bad. 95% rubbing alcohol... dries the heck out of the ear lining and can actually make infection worse as a result.

50-50 white wine vegar and rubbing alcohol (90%+ isopropyl alcohol) is the way to go (aka "ear beer". Add a few drops of mineral oil or glycerin to the mix if you want. And if your ears are really sensitive, dilute with up to 25% distilled water (or mix thirds, 33-33-33% water, vinegar, alcohol).

The key is a full 5 minutes in each ear. PITA, yes, but way less hassle than an ear infection and 3 weeks off diving.

DAN Divers Alert Network : More On Swimmers Ear (http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=49)

DAN Divers Alert Network : Can You Prevent Otitis Externa, or Swimmers Ear? (http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=48)