PDA

View Full Version : Saipan, Guam, Yap, Palau are not in the South Pacific

Zeagle Eagle
07-21-2009, 21:54
Saipan, Guam, Yap and Palau are not in the South Pacific. They are all north of the equator. They are in the North Pacific ocean.

scubarobin
07-28-2009, 17:10
Saipan, Guam, Yap and Palau are not in the South Pacific. They are all north of the equator. They are in the North Pacific ocean.

Technically you are correct, but culturally and travelwise, they are in the same geographical area as all those islands that are wonderful tropical diving. Most people refer to that whole area as South Pacific. Hawaii is the only dive destination I know of that is considered Pacific but not South Pacific.

It is the same thing with Florida Keys, Bahamas, and Turks & Caicos. They are not IN the Caribbean, they are in the Atlantic Ocean as they are above Cuba which is the dividing line... but everyone still considers them Caribbean dive destinations.

navyhmc
07-28-2009, 23:34
You mean the Keys Tuks and Caicos aren't Caribbean? I will admit I have always considered them so. Bahamas too. "Well, Jane, that goes to show you...There's always something"

Zeagle Eagle
07-29-2009, 22:56

Technically you are correct, but culturally and travelwise, they are in the same geographical area as all those islands that are wonderful tropical diving. Most people refer to that whole area as South Pacific. Hawaii is the only dive destination I know of that is considered Pacific but not South Pacific.

It is the same thing with Florida Keys, Bahamas, and Turks & Caicos. They are not IN the Caribbean, they are in the Atlantic Ocean as they are above Cuba which is the dividing line... but everyone still considers them Caribbean dive destinations.

"Now that's just silly, have you met everyone on the planet? ( Line from Two Weeks Notice).

Fact: Guam is in the North Pacific. Guam is almost 1600 miles North of New Guinea. That's like New York to Central America. I also think that most Guamanians, Yapese, Palauans; etc, would beg to differ on the culture thing. Guam, Yap, and Saipan have closer ties to the US than any South Pac nation. As a matter of fact Guam is a US territory and they are represented in Washington DC with their own Congressmen and Senators. It is very much like Hawaii. Many of the locals on Guam are from the Philippines. Saipan became part of the United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States) Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Mariana_Islands) in 1986, Yap is part of the Federated States of Micronesia. They pretty much do their own thing and do have close ties to the South Pacific.

Basically this whole South Pacific thing is an advertising gimmick. No one wants to dive/travel to the North Pacific (icebergs, polar bears) when they can dive in the South Pacific (Coconut Palms swaying in the breeze, azure seas and sugary beaches)

All that being said it is some of the finest diving on the planet whether we consider it to be South Pac or North I suppose is a matter of advertising...er I mean perception.

petronius
07-29-2009, 23:17
As a matter of fact Guam is a US territory and they are represented in Washington DC with their own Congressmen and Senators. ... No one wants to dive/travel to the North Pacific (icebergs, polar bears..yea, I know they live only at the South Pole) ...

Weeellll, since we're being pedantic, I have to point out that territories don't get Senators, they have non-voting Delegates to Congress. And I do hope you're joking about the polar bear thing...

:)

scubarobin
07-30-2009, 08:20

"Now that's just silly, have you met everyone on the planet? ( Line from Two Weeks Notice).

Fact: Guam is in the North Pacific. Guam is almost 1600 miles North of New Guinea. That's like New York to Central America. I also think that most Guamanians, Yapese, Palauans; etc, would beg to differ on the culture thing. Guam, Yap, and Saipan have closer ties to the US than any South Pac nation. As a matter of fact Guam is a US territory and they are represented in Washington DC with their own Congressmen and Senators. It is very much like Hawaii. Many of the locals on Guam are from the Philippines. Saipan became part of the United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States) Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Mariana_Islands) in 1986, Yap is part of the Federated States of Micronesia. They pretty much do their own thing and do have close ties to the South Pacific.

Basically this whole South Pacific thing is an advertising gimmick. No one wants to dive/travel to the North Pacific (icebergs, polar bears...yea, I know they live only at the South Pole) when they can dive in the South Pacific (Coconut Palms swaying in the breeze, azure seas and sugary beaches)

All that being said it is some of the finest diving on the planet whether we consider it to be South Pac or North I suppose is a matter of advertising...er I mean perception.

yes, I am perfectly aware of Micronesia and where it is located. I have been there, too. I also know that polar bears are at the North Pole! :smilie39:

Zeagle Eagle
07-30-2009, 08:43
As a matter of fact Guam is a US territory and they are represented in Washington DC with their own Congressmen and Senators. ... No one wants to dive/travel to the North Pacific (icebergs, polar bears..yea, I know they live only at the South Pole) ...

Weeellll, since we're being pedantic, I have to point out that territories don't get Senators, they have non-voting Delegates to Congress. And I do hope you're joking about the polar bear thing...

:)
Guam has a territorial legislature, like all states who have their own state legislatures. Guam currently has 15 senators. The Texas Senate, for example has 31 senators in their state senate.
You are correct about the Polar Bears what can I tell you it was late. It's the penguins that live in the southern hemisphere. Now, Santa Claus lives at the North Pole. I am pretty sure about that one.
BTW, when were you in Guam and where did you dive?

navyhmc
07-30-2009, 09:40
yes, I am perfectly aware of Micronesia and where it is located. I have been there, too. I also know that polar bears are at the North Pole! :smilie39:

Aaand how long were you planning on keeping this information from the rest of us!!????:smilie39:

Desert_Diver
07-30-2009, 14:10

Aaand how long were you planning on keeping this information from the rest of us!!????:smilie39:

Robin comes from a Wing Nut Environment. She was just taking pity on you geographically challenged Swab Jockies. :smilie39:

navyhmc
07-30-2009, 23:14
Not a swab jockey, not a shell back...hell, I never served on a ship!!!! Spent time in brick and mortar and USMC...

Am a blue nose though-28 days in feb '85 300 miles north of Point Barrow AK.

Zeagle Eagle
07-31-2009, 10:51
I am a Jarhead and a Zoomie, now just a citizen. Beats being an anchor planker.

Desert_Diver
07-31-2009, 10:51
Not a swab jockey, not a shell back...hell, I never served on a ship!!!! Spent time in brick and mortar and USMC...

(sadly shaking head) Not a single Navy guy I've met served on a ship. :smiley29:

What happened. Did we outsource the Navy to India or something? :smilie39:

Art

Desert_Diver
07-31-2009, 10:53

My nephew, currently a groundpounder Jarhead, informs me that Airdales are not REAL Marines. :smilie39:

Art

Zeagle Eagle
07-31-2009, 20:05

My nephew, currently a groundpounder Jarhead, informs me that Airdales are not REAL Marines. :smilie39:

Art
Once a Marine always a Marine. Is your nephew a California Marine or a Paris Island Marine? California Marines are not REAL Marines. :smilie39:

Travelnsj
07-31-2009, 20:31
OMG...Palau, Yap, Truk and Guam are not in the South Pacific???:smiley29:....Lets see I've been to Rangiora, Moorea, Tahiti and Farkarva please tell me that is the South Pacific?....now what about Kiritimati, Malaysia and Indonesia...is that the Western Pacific, South Pacific or Both?....Hmmmmm.....Ok I've spent to much time this afternoon in the Wine Country:smiley20:

Zeagle Eagle
07-31-2009, 21:39
OMG...Palau, Yap, Truk and Guam are not in the South Pacific???:smiley29:....Lets see I've been to Rangiora, Moorea, Tahiti and Farkarva please tell me that is the South Pacific?....now what about Kiritimati, Malaysia and Indonesia...is that the Western Pacific, South Pacific or Both?....Hmmmmm.....Ok I've spent to much time this afternoon in the Wine Country:smiley20:

I don't know where half those places are;but, I think they are all in South Pac. Did you dive all those places? I am very jealous

Desert_Diver
07-31-2009, 22:08

Art
Once a Marine always a Marine. Is your nephew a California Marine or a Paris Island Marine? California Marines are not REAL Marines. :smilie39:

He prefers to be called a Hollywood Marine. :smilie39:

Travelnsj
07-31-2009, 22:10
Yep dove all those spots except for the Island of Tahiti....Don't be jealous about Malaysia!

But where is Indonesia and Malaysia....Western Pacific or Southern Pacific?

Desert_Diver
07-31-2009, 22:10

I don't know where half those places are;but, I think they are all in South Pac. Did you dive all those places? I am very jealous

I think he gets seasick. So he walks down the beach with a mask and snorkel until he's deep enough to bend forward and put his face in the water. Then logs it as a dive. :smilie39:

That keeps him from blowing chunks into his regulator. :smiley20:

Desert_Diver
07-31-2009, 22:17
Yep dove all those spots except for the Island of Tahiti....Don't be jealous about Malaysia!

Don't you hav to cross the Coral Sea to get to Indonesia and Malaysia? So I don't think they are in the Pacific at all. They are probably in the Indian Ocean. Except that Maylasia is probably on the Malaccan (sp?) Straits.

My head hurts...:smiley5:

Art

Travelnsj
07-31-2009, 22:19
The Coral sea is a sea is within an ocean's boundries.....Where is the dividing line between the Indian and Pacific ocean?

navyhmc
07-31-2009, 22:22

(sadly shaking head) Not a single Navy guy I've met served on a ship. :smiley29:

What happened. Did we outsource the Navy to India or something? :smilie39:

Art

I know a ship load of 'em...I'm just not one of them...

Folks look at me odd when I say that, look even more confused when I say I was in the Green Navy (8404 corpsman)

Travelnsj
07-31-2009, 22:25
I think he gets seasick. So he walks down the beach with a mask and snorkel until he's deep enough to bend forward and put his face in the water. Then logs it as a dive. :smilie39:

That keeps him from blowing chunks into his regulator. :smiley20:

I have blown chunks in my Reg before....really prefer not to do that again:smiley13:

Zeagle Eagle
08-01-2009, 00:10

Don't you hav to cross the Coral Sea to get to Indonesia and Malaysia? So I don't think they are in the Pacific at all. They are probably in the Indian Ocean. Except that Maylasia is probably on the Malaccan (sp?) Straits.

My head hurts...:smiley5:

Art
Check the thumbnail

Travelnsj
08-02-2009, 09:44
Still waiting for an answer from Art!

Desert_Diver
08-02-2009, 12:15

The answer is that I was right (considering the Papal Engineering Dispensation for Spelling). :smiley20:

Art

Travelnsj
08-02-2009, 12:29

The answer is that I was right (considering the Papal Engineering Dispensation for Spelling). :smiley20:

Art

About what?....The Coral sea is not part of the Pacific or Indian ocean?....perhaps it is part of the Atlantic?:smiley36:...I know you head is starting to hurt!:smilie39:

chinacat46
08-17-2009, 18:03
You know if they change the name of the forum from "South Pacific" to "Pacific Islands" that would be a solution.

Travelnsj
08-17-2009, 19:11
Well it is south and west from us.....Southern-Western Pacific?

Desert_Diver
08-18-2009, 08:43
You guys do understand, don't you, that compulsive/obsessive anal retentive behavior is classified as a mental disorder? :anim_stick:

Art

Travelnsj
08-18-2009, 09:19
You guys do understand, don't you, that compulsive/obsessive anal retentive behavior is classified as a mental disorder? :anim_stick:

Art

Well Art it sounds like you have had your problem diagnosed...good luck with the Meds and the electro shock treatments you must endure:smiley36:....I hope your Family does not have to lock you up!:smilie39:

Zeagle Eagle
08-18-2009, 10:25
You know if they change the name of the forum from "South Pacific" to "Pacific Islands" that would be a solution.
Works for me!

scubastud
08-18-2009, 16:03
Micronesia isn't all that "micro"

navyhmc
08-18-2009, 16:32
Micronesia isn't all that "micro"

That depends, how big is Nesia or Macronesia????:smiley36: