PDA

View Full Version : Depth Gauge

SlvrDragon50
07-22-2009, 00:07
Does anyone know of a good cheap depth gauge that can be mounted on the wrist?

The one I have broke somehow :(

bsktcase93
07-22-2009, 17:38
If you still have a strap

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_957/Context_954/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/Filter_2%3d91/GNSDG.html?Hit=1

I couldnt find any on scuba toys but this seams to be the cheapest one I could find with the wrist strap

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_957/Context_954/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/Filter_2%3d91/OCNMDW.html?Hit=1

CompuDude
07-22-2009, 18:17
Why not an inexpensive dive computer, perhaps one in gauge mode?

SlvrDragon50
07-22-2009, 19:04
I considered a cheap computer but I plan on buying a computer in the future, so I don't want to spend more money than I need to yet.

At the moment, I'm eyeing a Uwatec Bottom Timer with a DSS Bungee Strap for 60$. Only flaw is that it's metric but I can convert it to imperial in a couple seconds.

I'm thinking of getting it. Only thing I don't like is I'm not sure how many hours it has left :/

CompuDude
07-22-2009, 20:02
$60 is a screaming steal, although that does depend on the remaining life.

How do you convert a metric BT to imperial? I never knew that was possible, short of mental math.

navyhmc
07-22-2009, 20:04
I considered a cheap computer but I plan on buying a computer in the future, so I don't want to spend more money than I need to yet.

At the moment, I'm eyeing a Uwatec Bottom Timer with a DSS Bungee Strap for 60$. Only flaw is that it's metric but I can convert it to imperial in a couple seconds.

I'm thinking of getting it. Only thing I don't like is I'm not sure how many hours it has left :/

If you're diving imperial, go imperial. If you plan on diving 100% metric, go metric. I don't recommend mix and match. Depending on your depth and narcosis, you may not make the conversion at a time where you really, really, need to and get in trouble. I will make the caveat that if you are going metric for gas and imperial for depth or vice-versa you will be okay because you will be doing what you're used to doing. But having to make a calculation mid-dive can be a trouble maker.

Were it me, I would not go with the metric timer.

scubastud
07-22-2009, 21:10
May I ask why wrist mounted? I thought maybe you wanted this as a back-up but I see that isn't the case.
Just wondering.

SlvrDragon50
07-23-2009, 07:48
$60 is a screaming steal, although that does depend on the remaining life.

How do you convert a metric BT to imperial? I never knew that was possible, short of mental math.
The conversion is ~3.3 ft per meter (slightly conservative but most likely not enough to make a difference for me since I'm OW certified).

All I do is convert the 3.3 to 10/3; so take the imperial amount and divide by 3 and shift the decimal one to the right. :smiley20: I considered a cheap computer but I plan on buying a computer in the future, so I don't want to spend more money than I need to yet.

If you're diving imperial, go imperial. If you plan on diving 100% metric, go metric. I don't recommend mix and match. Depending on your depth and narcosis, you may not make the conversion at a time where you really, really, need to and get in trouble. I will make the caveat that if you are going metric for gas and imperial for depth or vice-versa you will be okay because you will be doing what you're used to doing. But having to make a calculation mid-dive can be a trouble maker.

Were it me, I would not go with the metric timer.
Never thought of that. Maybe I will get a computer.

navyhmc
07-23-2009, 09:26
Give pyre24 a pm, he's got a good deal on a VEO 100...

http://forum.scubatoys.com/used-stuff-sale/25134-oceanic-veo-100-sale.html#post317056

SlvrDragon50
07-23-2009, 11:51
I'm more of a believer of the buy one time than buy advancing computers.

I was interested in the Zeagle/Dive Rite N2ition 3 or Duo although the uwatec Aladin Prime. Now it's just an issue of money.. WHY MUST SCUBA BE SO EXPENSIVE!

jj1987
07-23-2009, 12:05
All a computer does is cost more and tell you what you could figure out with a BT and your brain. I sold mine and pocketed the extra $$$, haven't regretted it. If you have the money, I guess get one, but on a budget, a BT makes way more sense IMO.