PDA

View Full Version : need small tank to keep on the boat

chewyjr15
07-23-2009, 17:49
My family and i just got a nice 35 foot tiara and i want to keep a small pony tank and reg aboard for emergencies, and also just quick dives in shallow waters. Im curious what i should get. I like the idea of the zeagle rapid diver but i dont like the hefty price tag.

any help is appreciated.

CompuDude
07-23-2009, 19:09
How about a small pony tank and reg? ;)

The Zeagle kit is great but costs, as you see. Otherwise, just whip something up. If it's just for swimming under the boat the pull kelp off the props, it doesn't need to be fancy. Size it according to the time you think you would need, the bigger the tank, obviously, the longer it'll last.

hooligan
07-24-2009, 01:07
AL80 and a Scubapro MK2+R190... doesn't get much simpler than that. Maybe an AL40 if you want something smaller.

navyhmc
07-24-2009, 04:56
Unless you want used, I would go with the AL80, usually the most inexpensive tank in town.

for a reg: Aeris A1 Regulator reviews and discounts, Aeris (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=AerisA1)

chewyjr15
07-24-2009, 11:14
im thinking of going with an al 19 the xs pony pack, a simple pressure gauge aeris a1 and a simple wight belt.

how much weight would i need im 6'1 210 pounds. ill be wearing neoprene booties and thats it. Im talking shallow no more than 20 feet depths.

SlvrDragon50
07-24-2009, 12:58
im thinking of going with an al 19 the xs pony pack, a simple pressure gauge aeris a1 and a simple wight belt.

how much weight would i need im 6'1 210 pounds. ill be wearing neoprene booties and thats it. Im talking shallow no more than 20 feet depths.
If you go with a BP/W.. I'd think that you might able to skip a weight belt if you go steel or wear 4-6 lbs with aluminum.

CompuDude
07-24-2009, 16:28

With no exposure protection (in SoCal? Yikes!) you won't need much to sink. Weight yourself in just a swimsuit in a swimming pool, add 2 lbs for salt (since we're not talking about much weight anyway) and call it a day.

mrmccoy
07-24-2009, 18:55
I know everyone dislikes Spare Air but that would be a simple solution. small and you could grab that and dive in pretty quick for an emergency........I guess no one used to watch baywatch :)

SlvrDragon50
07-24-2009, 19:03
I know everyone dislikes Spare Air but that would be a simple solution. small and you could grab that and dive in pretty quick for an emergency........I guess no one used to watch baywatch :)
Wouldn't work if he wants to do quick shallow dives though.

navyhmc
07-24-2009, 19:37

But how much time did they get on the spare air in BW? 30 mnutes?:smiley36:

chewyjr15
07-25-2009, 00:42
I went with a b/p and wing. Aluminum plate oms 30lb wing, custom webbing. Cost me 400 bucks at my lds. Also picked up an al 50. And i am wearing some protection. A 5/3 vest and hood. My 5mill booties, and my 3 mill gloves. Im going to wear 10 pounds and see how that goes for me. Im cleaning the hull tomorrow so ill let you know how it works out.

Jack Hammer
07-25-2009, 01:13
Considering many aluminum tanks are similar in price, I'd go with an 80cf tank. It may be more than you think you need, but it's pretty versatile, if you just do a quick dive to work on the boat you have air left for the next few times. Rather have more air than you need than have to stop 3/4 way through the job and go get the tank filled. For me, I wouldn't go any smaller than an al50 or 63.

Jack

chewyjr15
07-25-2009, 01:37
iv got an al 50, and a steel lp 72 on the boat.

WD8CDH
07-27-2009, 14:59
I wouldn't go with anything smaller than a 19. Personally, I would go with a 30 or 40.

frogman911
07-30-2009, 08:42
If you are going to be washing your hull, you probably won't need any weight. If you are neutrally bouyant and you put pressure on the hull to scrub it, you are just pushing yourself off the hull. It's better to be positively bouyant so you can put more elbow grease into your cleaning. Also, a lot of scrubbing can get your heart rate up and increase your breathing, so don't be surprised if you empty your AL50.

TRiggER2117
08-03-2009, 13:11
How about a small pony tank and reg? ;)

The Zeagle kit is great but costs, as you see. Otherwise, just whip something up. If it's just for swimming under the boat the pull kelp off the props, it doesn't need to be fancy. Size it according to the time you think you would need, the bigger the tank, obviously, the longer it'll last.

I agree with compudude completely in every way possible :smiley20:

jugglematt
08-10-2009, 05:29
i went to visit my mate on his yacht one afternoon , next thing i know im under his boat helping him clean the hull , yep cleaning the bottom of boats can be hard work , i was surprised how tiring it was on the arms , wuith the resistance in the water , i gues it also depends how easy it is to get your pony refiled ,

Matt