PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Roman shipwrecks found.

fire diver
07-24-2009, 06:01
Archaeologists find graveyard of sunken Roman ships - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090723/sc_nm/us_italy_shipwrecks)

The last line is pretty stupid in my opinion, but a cool story anyway.

baywatch106
07-24-2009, 07:26
All we need is treasure quest to goo there and then we can watch it on tv.

scubastud
07-24-2009, 07:34
all i need is mixed gasses and i will dive 100 meters all the time won't you!??

navyhmc
07-24-2009, 07:35
You mean you don't already???

scubastud
07-24-2009, 07:44
:tenker:well just free dive that deep. I'd like to stay at bottom more than 10 mins so i guess I'll need some sort of breathing apperatus.

Zanzi123
07-24-2009, 18:33
If a site such as this one was near the surface, would you be allowed to dive it? Or would it be restricted as a historical site?

petronius
07-24-2009, 18:50
The last line is pretty stupid in my opinion, but a cool story anyway.

I dive to 100 m on air all the time. Using my Al80. And if my friends weren't such wimps I'd even take a buddy along... ;)

It sounds to me like that guy wants to protect his turf from the 'ordinary' peons - kind of a jerk. Still, this is a really fascinating find and it will be exciting to see some pictures and more data from it...

Jack Hammer
07-25-2009, 01:07
[quote=fire diver;317334]...It sounds to me like that guy wants to protect his turf from the 'ordinary' peons - kind of a jerk...More likely they want to protect it as an archaelogical site and keep the site from getting picked cleaned and trashed by divers who want souvenirs for their basements or something to try to make a quick buck off of.Jack

fire diver
07-26-2009, 00:38
More likely they want to protect it as an archaelogical site and keep the site from getting picked cleaned and trashed by divers who want souvenirs for their basements or something to try to make a quick buck off of.Jack

Yeah, becuase there are sooooo many divers who can make those 100+ meter dives. Might as well lock-off Mt. Rushmore to keep the infants from climbing and setting off explosive charges.

navyhmc
07-26-2009, 01:10
I was thinking that same thing Fire Diver...I've had to stop my son 3 times to keep him from targeting Geo Wash!!!

Actually, I would be more worried about the site getting trashed by professional treasure hunters looking for the big bucks. I've been that deep, it's not really that much fun-too many things can go wrong too fast

Jack Hammer
07-26-2009, 06:11
Perhaps you guys aren't thinking far forward enough. FTR, I consider the statement implying a bunch of rec divers will be hitting 300'+ a huge stretch but the concept behind it has some validity. More people are being able to do dives deeper than before. Hell, Suunto just came out with a computer that you can use for 300+' dives. Their free software now includes planning for deep dives and will put together a basic deco schedule for anyone who wants to download it. Saying people may be able to make the dives isn't exactly the same as saying they can safely and easily make the dives.

The thought that Joe Resort Diver will do this in ten years is a joke. But is it really a stretch to consider that more professional treasure hunters, some of which are experienced tec divers, will be able to hit those depths to plunder what ever they can find in the future? I don't think it is, not with technology constantly increasing and the availability of mixing gasses yourself. We're talking about professional treasure hunters driven by greed here, not just any fool with a C-card and internet access.

Jack

ps - I'm out of town wreck diving for a few days, might take a while for me to respond to anything.