PDA

View Full Version : fins or no fins

stellar
07-25-2009, 15:09
My daughter wants me to search for a lost boat part at the dock. I will be in a river with some current and almost 0 visability at 8-14 ft. I suspect this will be a hands and knees crawl on the bottom searching by feel. My question is should I leave the fins on the dock making it easier to maneuver on the bottom, or wear them. The plan is to have a line attached to return. so should I wear the fins for safety reasons and assent or just rely on the line and bc to get me back? I really don't want to wear them for this search and would rather not have them attached to another line or to me getting in the way even tho i guess this is safest. Mark

Jack Hammer
07-25-2009, 15:14
My daughter wants me to search for a lost boat part at the dock. I will be in a river with some current and almost 0 visability at 8-14 ft. I suspect this will be a hands and knees crawl on the bottom searching by feel. My question is should I leave the fins on the dock making it easier to maneuver on the bottom, or wear them. The plan is to have a line attached to return. so should I wear the fins for safety reasons and assent or just rely on the line and bc to get me back? I really don't want to wear them for this search and would rather not have them attached to another line or to me getting in the way even tho i guess this is safest. Mark
Wear the fins, it's to difficult to move in the water without them with gear on. If you have some shorter snorkel or board fins they will do, and they'll make it easier when you're on the bottom.

Jack

Splitlip
07-25-2009, 15:19
Diving under a dock or a bridge? :)

cmburch
07-25-2009, 15:49
I assume you will be on SCUBA.

Fins are a great safety feature should you become unattached. Just shoes or booties if just walking and crawling a rocky bottom will also work. Also head protection, cutter, and work gloves should there be any nails, hooks, glass, sharp objects or entanglement possibilities.

If high traffic area, something to mark where you are so a boat doesn't go over you.

You will find out if you need fins at the dock before getting in or if in the water someone can hand them to you.

navyhmc
07-25-2009, 16:38
Ever dove without fins? It's a complete PIA unless you're planning a moon walk and are heavily weighted-don't fall over though, talk about turtling!!!

The fins not only provide motion, but are a great source of fulcrum if you need to manuvor at all.

stellar
07-25-2009, 16:42
under and beside a dock. with scuba. probably crawling. vis at the top is less than 2 feet. was going to use booties and gloves and hood. Is there some other head protection? I will have a knife, but I didn't think about the cutter. Excellent advise thanks. I will have a dive flag. thanks keep it comming.

stellar
07-25-2009, 16:45
never went without fins. I was planning on extra weight. This is a great site. the more replys I get the better I can plan. Thanks

navyhmc
07-25-2009, 16:45
If you want head protection, I would go with a kayak helmet ifyou know someone who has one-lightwieght protective and is intended to get very wet.

If you're on hands and knees. extra knees pads is a plus as well-cheap skate board pads would do the trick.

rongoodman
07-25-2009, 16:47
I'd think this one through a little more. It sounds like you're talking about solo, no-viz, with entanglement hazards(people fish off docks), potential HAZMAT, current... This isn't recreational diving any more. Maybe you should just buy her a new part for the boat.

stellar
07-25-2009, 16:49
great advise navyhmc. Looks like the grandson will be without knee pads for a day. I might snag his bicycle helmit too.

stellar
07-25-2009, 17:05
rongoodman What fun would buying the part be? Maybe i shouldn't say this,but actually it wouldn't be my first solo. I kind of enjoy solo. You do have a very valid point. It isn't recreational anymore. Now you got me thinking and i am eager to do this. Now i am going to have to rethink. But since i enjoy a challenge and am a little stubborn i think i'll still go. I will be sure to excercise more caution now tho. Who knows i may change my mind at the last min. and not go.

stellar
07-25-2009, 17:31
rongoodman You are causing me pause.(which is a good thing) You have a very valid point, it isn't recreational any more. I am still excited about doing this, i love a challenge and buying the part just wouldn't be any fun. I probably shouldn't say this,but i have done solo before and i like it. Poor vis in this part of the country is common,but this will exceed what i have done. Cutting out of entanglement with no vis may take awhile. I do have an extra reg and tank, so i may bring it down with me. Hell fins or no fins is beginning to almost become a moot point. I may as well tie them to the line with the extra tank. This is beginning to sound like a real job instead of fun.

stellar
07-25-2009, 18:02
I called a few buds to go to the quarry tomorrow. I will do a little prep work and the buds are interested in assisting with the boat part recovery JOB. So there will be some help and it may end up being fun. I sure feel a lot more informed than before i asked about the darn fins. Thanks. I will let you know how the recovery goes hopefully within the next 2 weeks.

mrmccoy
07-25-2009, 20:07
If it is around and under docks, I would have someone on the surface making sure no boats or fisherman come around....you should be fine!

navyhmc
07-26-2009, 02:03
You haven't said stellar, what is the "Lost boat part"?

divingchef
07-26-2009, 02:12
Fins!!! or weight on each foot with life line to dock....

How deep is the bottom?

Doing this dive solo doesn't bother me, I've been under numerous boats, never fun!! But good luck!

Aligators? Snakes? Bulls? Tigers? just the things I think about in the mexican marinas where I dive boat bottoms....

GOod luck!

Saludos!

Dd

mitsuguy
07-27-2009, 07:21
Given the info at hand, and that everyone has given you good warning... I say no fins, wear booties, and overweight yourself a good 10 lbs... Honestly, I would overweight yourself 2/3rds what your BC can lift... We do a lot of work setting up boat moorings and such... a sand screw weighs about 30 lbs, and we have two options for moving them around underwater - a) lift bag or b) deflate your bc completely, take the fins off, and walk point a to point b...

as mentioned, proper planning is essential...
since the lift bag is one extra thing to worry about once we get to the destination, we choose to have one diver carry the other divers fins and a couple clip weights to hold on to all of our fins once we make it to the place where the sand screw is to be installed... there, we are purposely overweighted so we stay in place while installing the screw...

stellar
07-27-2009, 13:41
There will be someone on top. Not sure what the part is called or even what it looks like, but i will know before i go. That sounds like a good saying can I patent it? (KNOW BEFORE YOU GO) The part holds an outboard to the boat when the motor is lowered and keeps it from hitting the boat. My daughter says it is about the size of a deck of cards. Her boyfriend (not the brightest bulb on the tree) went fishing for it with a magnet. I didn't say anything, but I think most boat parts are made of AL and not FE. It is a private dock so boats shouldn't be a problem.

I did a few dives at a quarry yesterday and played on the bottom a little kicking up the silt to reduce vis to 0. The extra weight is a good idea and the fins won't be on. I also found out I am going to need a refference point. It gets a little confusing with no vis. So I will drop a lot of weight on a line from the dock to work from. I am also thinking about attaching another line to the weight with knots evenly spaced to work my way in in an orderly way. I would like to work from down stream to up stream, hoping to limit more silt. I will probably do this next week.

cmburch
07-27-2009, 15:15
Yes, good idea for a reference point. When low Vis, I use a yellow floating line with a sash weight to mark my position when freediving, so I can easily return to the same location on the bottom.

SadrithMora
08-03-2009, 13:41
Man, diving without fins always seems like a bad idea to me. I must admit I've done it before, but in 10 feet of water in the keys to find lobster. It was the easiest way to maneuver around in the dead coral environments, but it made me feel REAL uneasy. I triple checked everything in my setup and made damn sure that I could launch out of my bc if anything did happen.

JCAT
08-03-2009, 14:16
I was not following this thread, but something to note is Electricity. Does the dock have it for lights, ect.

Personally, I would not go near any of our marinas because of wiring issues. Who knows what a slip owner might have done.

May not apply to what your doing.

cheers

fire diver
08-03-2009, 18:48
All this for an outboard kickstand? Just buy a new one!

cmburch
08-03-2009, 19:58
Is that what it is? The part that tilts the motor up when in shallow water?

Or is it a transom mount part?

fire diver
08-03-2009, 20:36
No, these are used when you take the boat out of the water, for road travel. It prevents the motor from dropping and ruining your prop, lower unit.

bsktcase93
08-12-2009, 23:08
hands down use fins

navyhmc
08-12-2009, 23:25
So Stellar, is the job done??? You have to let us know how it went.

thor
08-13-2009, 14:04
This sounds like the making of a viral Youtube video. You may want to have someone on the dock filming this.

bigman241
08-13-2009, 22:03
good look being a newbi getting ready to get cert i would say i would do it. But that might just be alittle stupid for me. Have fun i hate lossing boat parts. LOst my dad 50 dollar craftmen ratchet once. Watched a guy fish with a magnet for a alum prop. I asked him are you going to all the trouple for a stainless prop he said no just alum just do not want to lose the weekend. I asked how a magnet would find a alum prop. He looked at me and laughed. Luckly a local had a 4 hook gaf that caught it 2 hours later maybe 1000 throws.

WV Diver
08-14-2009, 13:48
Wish I had found this thread sooner. I do a some of this type diving. Usually make a few dollars looking for peoples stuff. Got $200 last week to find a set of keys lost off the dock in 25' of water. Not bad money for an 8 minute dive.

I'm sure this has already been done and forgot about but I would be interested to hear if you found it and how you decided to do it.

Splitlip
08-14-2009, 18:25
Wish I had found this thread sooner. I do a some of this type diving. Usually make a few dollars looking for peoples stuff. Got $200 last week to find a set of keys lost off the dock in 25' of water. Not bad money for an 8 minute dive.

I'm sure this has already been done and forgot about but I would be interested to hear if you found it and how you decided to do it.
LOL. Shouldn't you at least hang out down there for a little while so they think they got their money's worth?

WV Diver
08-14-2009, 20:16
Why, I make no guarantees that I will find anything and I get my money, cash on the barrel head, before I ever suit up.

bigman241
08-17-2009, 00:31
your a very smart man. Had a local hire a guy to find his keys in the lake no scuba gear 50 bucks if he found them 8 feet of water. Two hours later he finds them hands them to the guy The guy tells him he will run up to the store and get some cash. or he could take a check. He told him to go get the cash. The guy never came back. I told a nieghbor i was getting my cert. I guest they lost the guys wallet. He told me it has 500 bucks in it 10 feet down right by the bridge support colum. HE told me if i find it i can have half. Makes me think i need to pull my cash out underwater then give him his wallet alittle light. :smiley2::smiley2:
Had another friend ask if i could find his prop guest he lost it down the lake alittle on a wall that is 25 feet deep and drops to 30. A scuba neighbor told me the area is known for dark water that you can not see your hand on your mask. I guest two currents meet there nothing serious just a small liek but alot of mud. I told the guy by the time he rented me a tank adn a setup my gear found a buddy that would do it with me it was not worth a alum prop that cost 100 bucks. Though making money finding all this stuff people losses sounds good.
Why, I make no guarantees that I will find anything and I get my money, cash on the barrel head, before I ever suit up.

tnrescuediver
08-23-2009, 21:37
fins is the safest and e z way to go

mitsuguy
08-23-2009, 22:13
fins is the safest and e z way to go

not necessarily - there are situations where no fins is safer and easier to move with than with using fins...