PDA

View Full Version : Dive Report - Straits of Mackinac

crosseyed95
07-27-2009, 19:49
Went diving in the Straits of Mackinac this weekend. Biggest surprise was when I dropped the boat into the Mackinaw Marina. They made me park my truck 3 miles from the marina (leaving truck/trailer overnight). This is a change from previous years when you could park next door. Ended up being a big deal later on.

Air temp was about 65 or 70 but with 93% humidity. At 1:00pm you could see your breath it was so damp. Nothing would dry out including drysuit undies which seemed to make each dive colder.

Friday
Wife and I decided to dive the Eber Ward first. As usual, I enjoyed this wreck. Surface temp was 62 with bottom temp being 43. After looking around the interior we went on deck for the usual "sit on the toilet" routine. About this time, I realized the wife was bored. Did I mention she doesn't care for this wreck?

Upon surfacing, we were going to visit the Sandusky but the weather was kicking up. Headed back to tackle the Cedarville. We both (telling the truth this time) love this wreck for the penetration opportunities. We went into the engine area running our lines. Went thru a couple rooms and then my wife disappeared. Murphy's law had decided that now is when her light should crap out. Took her a moment to activate her secondary. We had planned to enter one more room but with any failure on penetrations we abort. I've finally redeemed myself with my reel. Didn't explode it like I have on previous posts. Back on our boat, I told the wife that I'm glad she had her secondary since I can't cook. Yep, went over about as good as it sounds.

Friday night
Found a nice cove to anchor down for the night. Weather report was thunderstorms but (Coast Guard words) nothing of concern. Wind of 10 mph. Fell asleep around 9 and woke up at 10 with a rocking boat. Went on deck to listen to the weather and they had changed it to 30 mph winds with severe thunderstorms. Coast Guard made my decision to leave when weather lady said "put on life jackets and vacate the water immediately". Pulled anchor and made it to the marina. Couldn't see anything since there were no lights on. Tied up at the landing and went to the office to rent a slip. CLOSED... Couldn't believe it. Well, I just picked an open slip and parked my $25k boat between two $250k boats.

Saturday
Started with the Minneapolis. Pretty good current running. Strong enough that if you let go of the rope you probably had two kicks before you wouldn't get back on. However, there was only a small current on the wreck. Visited the stern to explore the prop and rudder.

Second dive was on the Stalker. I'd never dove this one before so it was exciting going down the line. Bottom temp was 40. Part of the way thru the dive, I think I went from being an outtie to an innie I was so cold. The bow on the Stalker was very enjoyable. It was just nice to explore all the wreckage.

Overall, we played games with the weather both Friday and Saturday. Wind direction changed every 10 minutes and went from calm to strong. Waves would be 6 inches, then 2' and then 6 inches again. But, I always enjoy the Straits since 60' of vis is so enjoyable.

crosseyed95

BusDiver
07-27-2009, 20:08
Great report. Who watches your boat when you all are down?

navyhmc
07-27-2009, 21:32
Great report.

Do you pick up hitch hikers???

crosseyed95
07-29-2009, 19:41
Great report.

Only those that buy the gas and beer. :drankere:

H20newbie
07-29-2009, 21:29
Thanks for the great trip report. We are diving the straits for the first time the weekend of Aug 22-23. The weather variances should make it quite interesting.:smilie40: Actually looking forward to a fun weekend with a great group of dive buddies.:smiley20: Always nice to hear about sites we haven't dove before .

BusDiver
07-30-2009, 06:40
Great report.

Only those that buy the gas and beer. :drankere:

I make a mean mojito.