PDA

View Full Version : Jocassee Junk

JCAT
07-28-2009, 13:46
Here's a short video of the Junk at Lake Jocassee, South Carolina.

Sorry it's B/W, but it has a little bit more clarity like this.

Canon A570IS + Epoque WA

The Junk (http://www.scubadivingtube.com/play.php?vid=809)

navyhmc
07-28-2009, 23:24
Not bad...looked like your vis 10'?

JCAT
07-29-2009, 04:00
About 10-15' vis. I changed the video to B/W for better clarity, lots of silt this time of year at that depth.

It can't be seen in the video, but the wall is to my left. Drops to 175'. Before the end of summer, I'll get some video. Below about 80', the vis really gets good, sometimes up to around 50', however the temp drops quick.

blue37
08-02-2009, 18:25
Great job, JCAT... my first deep dive was "over the Wall" with M. Atkins of The SCUBA SHOP... never forget the experience.

JCAT
08-02-2009, 20:29
Highly possible I was there, as I dive regularly with The Scuba Shop. Mike, Corey, Jean, Ritchie and the rest of the staff are very experienced and knowledgeable.

Jocassee is a great teacher, especially the wall. One of the first lessons it taught me 5 years ago, was that wearing a hood is a good thing, even in the dead of summer. :smiley36:

I hate ice cream headaches:smiley11:

blue37
08-03-2009, 17:22
They're the best... make you feel like home.

TJDiver
08-24-2009, 13:15
Hey JCAT...how deep is the Junk at Jocassee? I have a little time underwater, but my 13-year old son is newly certified and wants to do some non-penetrating wreck diving. I figured the Junk would whet his appetite, if within his range.

JCAT
08-25-2009, 04:43
Usually 60' or less. More often less. Depends on the lake level, starting to drop a bit since we need rain. I've seen it at 44' before.

The Junk is a great training site to work on critical wreck skills like reel use, perfect trim, frog kicks in a confined environment.

Divers can penetrate the wreck easily, as it is very open with a little bit of overhead.

Come on up, water will start turning cold in late Oct.

cheers

TJDiver
08-25-2009, 07:06
Usually 60' or less. More often less. Depends on the lake level, starting to drop a bit since we need rain. I've seen it at 44' before.

The Junk is a great training site to work on critical wreck skills like reel use, perfect trim, frog kicks in a confined environment.

Divers can penetrate the wreck easily, as it is very open with a little bit of overhead.

cheers

Thanks for the info, JCAT. We have some friends that are wanting to spend a couple days at Jocassee during Labor Day Weekend. We're thinking about meeting them there, and doing a bit of diving while there.

JCAT
08-26-2009, 05:09

cheers

Thanks for the info, JCAT. We have some friends that are wanting to spend a couple days at Jocassee during Labor Day Weekend. We're thinking about meeting them there, and doing a bit of diving while there.

I forgot to mention, there are a couple of ski boats sunk in the vicinity as well. One is close to the junk, the others you'll need to hunt for, which is fun for navigation skills.

EDIT: I'll post a picture of one of them in the afternoon.

Dive Master
08-26-2009, 17:46
Hey JCAT...how deep is the Junk at Jocassee? I have a little time underwater, but my 13-year old son is newly certified and wants to do some non-penetrating wreck diving. I figured the Junk would whet his appetite, if within his range.

Jocassee Update from Sunday 8/23/09

The lake is down approximately 13-15 feet from full pond.

The Junk is 40-55 feet deep.Vis was bad due to lots of divers--maybe 10 feet---vis was better as you moved off the Junk.

Bottom of the wall at the Junk should be 165 or so. I cruised the Wall at 80-85 feet---good vis and not to cold.
Mt. Carmel Church Cemetery---I got 126 feet laying my computer on Doris's headstone.Temp was 52 chilly degrees.Vis was fantastic---50 to 60 feet but I was the first diver down so it wasn't kicked up.

I just love diving Jocassee---close to home and cheap. I almost always dive with Bill at Off the Wall Charters (Lake Jocassee Dive Shop). I have dove with Mike before and sometimes just dive the ramp if moeny is tight.

JCAT
08-27-2009, 03:53
Thanks for the update Dive Master, it's been a month since I was up there.

Darn it, we need rain. Hope we're not going into another 4 year drought. I have not needed to cut my grass in 2 weeks.

Always cold at the graveyard LOL. One of these days I'm going to buy a 7mil with an attached hood. Maybe Larry and Joe will put last years stock on sale at the end of the year.

TJDiver,

Here's a picture of one of the ski boats..

http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/files/6/7/6/crw_2401.jpg

Dive Master
08-27-2009, 12:02

Darn it, we need rain. Hope we're not going into another 4 year drought. I have not needed to cut my grass in 2 weeks.

Always cold at the graveyard LOL. One of these days I'm going to buy a 7mil with an attached hood. Maybe Larry and Joe will put last years stock on sale at the end of the year.

TJDiver,

I just ordered a new Henderson Hyperstretch 7 mil from Scuba Toys yesterday---on sale for $338 with a free storage case.These are the old style not the new H2 but the price is right.I have a 7/5 hyperstretch now but it has close to 175 dives on it and now I find myself getting cold.I also have the hyperstretch vest/hood combo which really helps.I guess I should just bite the bullet and go for a drysuit but I did not win powerball and one of my friends got hurt really bad when his drysuit malfunctioned on the Mt. Carmel Church foundation.Thankfully he had recovered enough to begin diving again.Hope to see you at the lake sometime.

TJDiver
08-27-2009, 15:11

TJDiver,

Thanks JCAT. My son's really stoked about wreck diving. There's a small...maybe 12 ft...old style runabout sunk in the local quarry we like to hit, and it just thrills him to dive to it...over and over. hehe I can't wait to see his excitement over something like the Junk, or one of the shallower wrecks in the Keys we might hit in October. Hope to see you at Jocassee sometime, but it's looking like we won't be able to make it Labor Day Weekend...soooo, maybe early next season.

precision28
09-12-2010, 21:30
how hard is it to find the junk if you are not on a charter we have a boat but would probably do the charter first