PDA

View Full Version : Best way to prevent mask from fogging up?

Zanzi123
07-30-2009, 00:42
Hey guys,

Whats the best way to prevent a mask from fogging???

Thanks!

WaScubaDude
07-30-2009, 01:02
Most common is spit.
two good commercial defogs are 500PSI and SeaGold
Scuba Gear and Dive Equipment with reviews on sale (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/search_results.asp?iLevel=1&txtsearchParamCat=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&txtsearchParamTxt=defog)

With a new mask you need to clean the factory crap off the lense(s) first. Use old fashioned Crest and a soft cloth rub hard, rinse and repeat inside and out three times.

Jack Hammer
07-30-2009, 02:58
Basically what he said, use toothpaste and an old toothbrush to remove the factory coating. Personally I prefer the 500psi antifog, IMO it lasts longer than the McNetts and has never made my eyes sting. When those weren't available I've just used spit - works great and is free.

Jack

Zanzi123
07-30-2009, 03:24
So any tooth paste or do I have to buy crest?

snagel
07-30-2009, 05:17
Really on the toothpaste, you want some type of gel paste like close-up. Some of the others contain sand that can scratch your mask. (Baby shampoo will also work)

As mentioned a new mask you will have to clean it several times. Then use a good anti-fog.

Once it's clean and you're in the water, leave it on. Taking it off and on will tend to cause it to fog.

Snagel

Vercingetorix
07-30-2009, 07:40
Dive Instructor's Secret Recipe:

Johnson's Baby Shampoo watered down 10-to-1. I carry a small 3 oz spray bottle of this in my BC. While waiting on the surface before a dive, I give a couple squirts. Rinse. Dive.

If I don't have that, I spit.

//please do NOT hock a lugey. Ineffective. Gross.

//I also give the mask the toothepaste treatment a couple times during dive season to remove any build-up of whatever.

navyhmc
07-30-2009, 07:57
I've tried the various solutions and find that spittle still works the best.

Rileybri
07-30-2009, 08:22
Dive Instructor's Secret Recipe:

Johnson's Baby Shampoo watered down 10-to-1. I carry a small 3 oz spray bottle of this in my BC. While waiting on the surface before a dive, I give a couple squirts. Rinse. Dive.

If I don't have that, I spit.

//please do NOT hock a lugey. Ineffective. Gross.

//I also give the mask the toothepaste treatment a couple times during dive season to remove any build-up of whatever.

I completely disagree. well not about the hacking a lugey part but that it is ineffective. I have never used not will i ever pay for anti fog for my masks.

If they are new they get a few scrubs of paste toothpaste (I have never scratched a mask lens polishing/cleaning it.

For general every day diving I use just so plain spit. rub around and rinse and I am good to go for the day. Gross, well you may think so but not I and its free and with me every time I go diving.....

scubarobin
07-30-2009, 08:26
as others have mentioned - a BRAND NEW mask needs to be scrubbed to remove the film put on the lenses in the manufacturing process. All new masks have this film. Scrubbing with toothpaste 3-5 times is the best method although there are some "mask scrub" products on the market right now. I like toothpaste as it makes my mask minty fresh smelling! :smiley20:

After that, use defog every dive. I rarely use spit in my mask. I read an article several years ago about eye infections and dive masks, bacteria in the mouth, etc. It turned me off the the spit thing. :smiley11: Baby shampoo is another great defog.

DevilDiver
07-30-2009, 08:51
Hey guys,

Whats the best way to prevent a mask from fogging???

Thanks!

Keep it clean. Most de-fogs are nothing more than a cleaner, after the initial removal of the film from the manufacturing process a simple soap should do the trick, this can deter a clear skirt from turning dingy as well, spit works well also, just a matter of cleaning the glass......

Make sure there is no hair in thee seal and sometimes breathing out from your nose could effect the mask fogging, I would guess this would be more of a factor in colder water.

Flatliner
07-30-2009, 09:10
I have always had a problem with my mask fogging. I now have a method that allows me to go ALL day (4-5 dives) without re-applying defog.

1.) The night before, clean the mask well with scrub or tooth paste.
2.) Apply 500psi defog and let it sit overnight until just before you get in the water.

Not as macho as spit but it works REALLY well.

PS, it also helps to splash water on your face before donning the mask to better equalize the temp.

TRiggER2117
07-30-2009, 10:58
wow thats a great idea! Im definitely gonna try it on my next dive :)

SugarInWater
07-30-2009, 12:05
PS, it also helps to splash water on your face before donning the mask to better equalize the temp..

Flatliner, that's very helpful. Thanks for that.

CompuDude
07-30-2009, 13:00
Properly cleaning the new mask is the most important thing, by far.

SCUBA Knowtes, Your Dive Mask (http://home.gwi.net/~spectrum/scuba_mask.html)

Once the mask is properly cleaned, spit works great, as does pretty much any commercial defog, as does a diluted baby shampoo solution.

firenwater
07-30-2009, 14:35
Hi,
I saw this new anti-fog at my LDS and thought I would try it. It comes as a paste and is called absolutely clear. So far it has worked great although I have only been diving in relatively warm water. Much better than the last anti-fog I wasted my money on. If you see it, give it a try.
:smiley20:

Zanzi123
07-30-2009, 16:49
all I have is toms Gel tooth paste... Would that work?

Thanks so much for all your helpful responces.

DevilDiver
07-30-2009, 17:45
all I have is toms Gel tooth paste... Would that work?

Thanks so much for all your helpful responces.

As long as Tom doesn't need it back. :smiley36:

Gel could work fine, the point is it needs to have a little bit of grit to it to work as a light abrasive.

When a mask is made a light layer of the silicone from the skirt is left on the glass, this needs to be removed. Anything on the glass (sunscreen, oils, salt or just plain dirt) gives any moisture a place to gather and form beads or droplets causing "fog" on the glass. Clean glass = no fog. I clean the inside and out including the skirt.

There are other factors such as excess moisture (bad seal or hair caught under the skirt) or temperature differences but not cleaning is the most common issue IMO.

Zanzi123
07-30-2009, 18:29
After a house search I found some Vicco herbal tooth paste. It had a lot of grit to it, one of the first ingrediants was fine chalk. Looks like it did the trick... I might test it in my pool today!

fisheater
07-30-2009, 18:32
On the clean note, I use eyeglass cleaner on my mask before a dive day.

hooligan
07-30-2009, 19:08
I do it kind of like Flatliner. I dont' put the defog on thenight before, but I do put it in my mask about 20 minutes or so before the dive, spread it all around the lens and let it sit until it's dive time. I don't dunk the mask before the dive, just splash a bit of water on it and then I'm good to go. I've been using the same bottle of sea drops for the past 4 years.