PDA

View Full Version : Liberating an SK-7 from a hosed computer console

gNats
07-30-2009, 17:21
hello,

I've recently purchased the DSS wrist mounting system for my SK-7 compass.

The compass is currently located on my air integrated Cobra hose. Looks really pretty, but I need to move the compass to my wrist so I can actually navigate!

I've been able to remove the rotating bezel and friction ring (as one unit) and now I am trying to pry the "brittle and fragile" liquid filled housing out of the console unit and EEEP. It's very very difficult.

Also, much to my chagrin, it almost appears as if I have to put this empty console unit back on my computer hose, because the compass unit "closes off" the computer unit.

Was this a good idea, but I am using the technology? I know I could have bought the computer on the hose without the compass and the housing would have been closed and appropriate.

Can someone please help me understand if I should continue or abandon ship and return all to normal?

thank you,
gNats

Jack Hammer
07-30-2009, 17:31
Get yourself some hot water and let the compass soak for a few minutes. The entire compass should come out fairly easily. Same method also works for putting it in.

If it's like my old Suunto console there should be an end piece that you can unscrew from the compass section that will go onto the end of the computer housing. It's a modular design.

Jack

gNats
07-30-2009, 17:34
Get yourself some hot water and let the compass soak for a few minutes. The entire compass should come out fairly easily. Same method also works for putting it in.

If it's like my old Suunto console there should be an end piece that you can unscrew from the compass section that will go onto the end of the computer housing. It's a modular design.

Jack

Thanks Jack!

I was just getting ready to come online and say WOOOOHOOOO I did it... Lots of hot water, a butter knife, and a prayer! It popped right out.

Thanks about the end piece information. I see where this one piece will come off.

Natalie

gNats
07-30-2009, 17:36
Bummer.

The piece I thought would come off appears to be molded into the plastic - no screws and it won't pop.

I may need to get the piece in question. When the LDS ordered my setup last year, he may have gone with a different console style, not thinking I would want to separate the pieces.

Rileybri
07-30-2009, 17:47
Just remember that just because your compass is on your wrist, it does not mean navigation is any easer/or more accurate. If you are navigating from your wrist and have your arm anything but perpendicular and flat to your baring and line of sight you navigation will be off. Its an easy error to make especially if your compass is held close to you your body.......

just food for thought...