PDA

View Full Version : Wrench size for lp and hp hoses?

BRsnow
07-30-2009, 19:55
Hello, I was curious if there was a standard size? I don't have my tools with me, so I want to pick one up. Thanks

matt reed
07-30-2009, 22:05
they vary in my experience...somewhere between 13-16mm

hth

BRsnow
07-30-2009, 22:42
Thanks, looks like I will just get an adjustable....BR

CompuDude
07-30-2009, 22:50
Yup, different brands use different connectors and sizes, so I wouldn't want to be stuck with just one. An adjustable wrench and a pair of pliers tends to cover all bases. (Having two tools is good because sometimes you need the extra torque in the opposite direction.)

navyhmc
07-30-2009, 23:25
Yes...usually 1/2" or 6mm, 9/16" or 7-8mm or 5/8" it actually more manufacturer dependant. If you have 1/2, 9/16 and 5/8 you're good to go or just bring a small cresent wrench.

scubasamurai
07-31-2009, 22:08
Yes...usually 1/2" or 6mm, 9/16" or 7-8mm or 5/8" it actually more manufacturer dependant. If you have 1/2, 9/16 and 5/8 you're good to go or just bring a small cresent wrench.

i agree

Vercingetorix
08-01-2009, 09:44
May I suggest the ScubaTool from ST. Has all your wrenches, hex-wrenches, etc.

//ScubaTool...the invention that launched a dynasty

WaScubaDude
08-01-2009, 12:08
Hello, I was curious if there was a standard size? I don't have my tools with me, so I want to pick one up. Thanks

Unfortunately there are lots of standard sizes. Go with the crescent wrench and pliers. Tip: put a small bit of tape on the teeth of the pliers to keep from biting the finish off your fittings.

I have an ST scuba tool and unfortunately the width of the tool outer shell makes getting to some fittings impossible. The double size opened end wrenches are not often the best tool for the job.

A little zippered fabric pouch or crown royal bag works great to hold the small crescent, pliers, allen wrenches, Cristolube, etc.

BRsnow
08-01-2009, 20:38
Thanks, I noticed when it was put together, they chipped some of finish on the hose nuts, is this a big concern. They are small, will have issues with salt water? Thanks.

WaScubaDude
08-01-2009, 23:33
Thanks, I noticed when it was put together, they chipped some of finish on the hose nuts, is this a big concern. They are small, will have issues with salt water? Thanks.
I wouldnt say "big" concern, just keep it all rinsed well and let it air dry.
The spots will tend to collect currosion fastest. Mild vinegar and water solution with a tooth brush will remove mild currosion.

Straight vinegar with backing soda will remove extensive currosion, but may also harm finishes. Dont use vinegar on plastic parts. Rinse everything well with fresh water, pat and air dry.