PDA

View Full Version : Real Men

dmdoss
08-27-2007, 01:25
Where have all the real men gone? Today we don't have the larger than life men/actors in our society. When you think of Audie Murphy, John Wayne, James Stewart and so on. Sure they were actors, so well use them. Can you compare any of today's celebrities to them? We don't have an Audie for sure, instead we have Brad Pitt. The icon's that I grew up with sure don't seem anything like the one's today. Can you think of a man who is as "manly" as John Wayne? If so who is it? I don't think any of today's actors have the "value's" of old.

deepdiver47
08-27-2007, 04:38
real men actors, my guys were Bronson and McQueen.

Maybe, just maybe Matt Damon as Bourne. But he still has a baby face.

YellowfinKunkfish
08-27-2007, 06:10
GERARD BUTLER
(King Leonidas in 300)

He's a very manly man. :smiley2:

creggur
08-27-2007, 06:47
They're not allowed to be that way anymore...It's just not PC anymore. I've heard it called the "wussification" of America...Sad really. The way actors are these days who would want to look up to them anyway?

Centerius
08-27-2007, 07:39
Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson.

94GTStang
08-27-2007, 08:05
No, there really aren't manly men any more in Hollywood. Or at least not the same amount of them.

The guy from Transporter is another to put on the list

Jaymeany
08-27-2007, 08:10
Russel Crow when he first started (Gladiator) and I can't believe I'm gonna same this Brad Pit in Troy :bonk:

Kingpatzer
08-27-2007, 09:33
Real men and actor just don't go together.

Want a "real man" go meet someone in a profession such as:

fire jumper
coal mining
high steel workers
fishermen
etc.

There are plenty of real men in our society, but since they can't afford Armani, you never see them on TV so you don't know they exist.

gtjason2000
08-27-2007, 11:16
I second Samuel L Jackson

loudgonzo
08-27-2007, 14:14

fire jumper
coal mining
high steel workers
fishermen
etc.

There are plenty of real men in our society, but since they can't afford Armani, you never see them on TV so you don't know they exist.

miners...

greyzen
08-27-2007, 14:16
Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson.

Dude, Sam Jackson is one pimp dude...

He'd beat down John Wayne and then buy him a beer afterwards.

greyzen
08-27-2007, 14:17

fire jumper
coal mining
high steel workers
fishermen
etc.

In the real-world:
GOOD cops
Firemen

Either one of those jobs, you couldn't pay me enough to do.. you have to be a badass to do them right.

No Misses
08-27-2007, 14:24
Audie Murphy - the only actor who earned the Medal of Honor :smiley20:

loudgonzo
08-27-2007, 14:28
well, since we're talking about actors and basing their machoness on the movies they do, then i'll have to throw in Robert DeNiro.

Black-Gorrilla
08-27-2007, 14:56
No, there really aren't manly men any more in Hollywood. Or at least not the same amount of them.

The guy from Transporter is another to put on the list

Jason Statom ?? (i think thats how it's spelled)

Black-Gorrilla
08-27-2007, 14:58

fire jumper
coal mining
high steel workers
fishermen
etc.

miners...

Mill Workers
Chefs
Gunsmiths and Blacksmiths

the tough jobs!!
i know what you mean.

Black-Gorrilla
08-27-2007, 15:00
In the real-world:
GOOD cops
Firemen

Either one of those jobs, you couldn't pay me enough to do.. you have to be a badass to do them right.

you mean NOT FAT cops? so few out there that do what they are supposed to do other than sit around and give kids grief for skating around town without a helmet.
let them fall and break their heads... it's good for a kid to get hurt. Makes them men!!
i used to get hurt alot, and im perfectly fine!

MEL-DC Diver
08-27-2007, 15:04
In the real-world:
GOOD cops
Firemen

you mean NOT FAT cops? so few out there that do what they are supposed to do other than sit around and give kids grief for skating around town without a helmet.
let them fall and break their heads... it's good for a kid to get hurt. Makes them men!!
i used to get hurt alot, and im perfectly fine!

Yes, perfectly fine. Absolutely. No doubt. Without question.

dmdoss
08-27-2007, 16:45

fire jumper
coal mining
high steel workers
fishermen
etc.

These are good examples. But they are not what the majority of the youth see.

texarkandy
08-27-2007, 21:21

fire jumper
coal mining
high steel workers
fishermen
etc.

These are good examples. But they are not what the majority of the youth see.

Real men provide for and take care of their families - whatever it takes.

kevinj1
08-27-2007, 22:33
I actually will say Mel Gibson in Braveheart--but only that movie.

Black-Gorrilla
08-27-2007, 22:56
a man, as manly as john wayne? is that possible? maybe someone like Jet Lee, but then again, not american... but most of his movies (oriental movies) have extremely good stories, having alot to do with the imperial times in china etc... such as Hero and Fearless (more recent ones)
he's manly in a diff. scense. not the "badass old cowbow" type thing, but like a take care of family and bussiness manly. (hard to make sence of that, and plenty of bad grammer (or grammar))

JugglingMonkeys
08-27-2007, 23:50
Real men provide for and protect their families, loving their wives and spending time with their kids.

Buoyant1
08-28-2007, 07:44
Sorry...all those actors are "metro-sexuals"! The rest are pretenders with expensive cigars....

loudgonzo
08-28-2007, 08:18
Sorry...all those actors are "metro-sexuals"! The rest are pretenders with expensive cigars....

thats too funny :smilie39:

But i'll throw in Robert DeNiro again... But as someone else already mentioned, Samuel L. Jackson is the man, I mean, who else do you know where you have to mention their middle initial when referring to them?

greyzen
08-28-2007, 08:36
I would have Sam L. Jacksons man-babies.

He is just too much of a pimp. I mean, the guy can do some failure at recording like "Snakes on a Plane" and still have badass movies like "Blacksnake Moan".

I mean, the dude was in Star Wars and was STILL a bad ass.

"Get my wallet out of the bag."
"Which one is your wallet?"
"The one that says Bad mo..."

YellowfinKunkfish
08-28-2007, 16:14

WHAT?!!?

Define "Metro-sexual"

Gerry Butler is not a metro-sexual. Unless that term defines someone that occasionally carries a man-bag.
He's still very manly.:smiley20:

bullshark
08-28-2007, 20:22
Eastwood, Clint Eastwood

jsmharley
08-28-2007, 22:14
Clint Eastwood, Sam Elliot, Anthony Hopkins, but they are nothing like the Duke

3rdEye
08-28-2007, 22:39
just another facet of the emasculation of American men

dmdoss
08-28-2007, 23:27
Sam Elliot. I like his movies alot.

divechaplain-sara
08-28-2007, 23:33
I can't believe it took you guys 28 posts to get to Clint Eastwood. I can't think of anyone else who comes anywhere close to John Wayne for being manly.

I will have to say a LOUD AMEN for post 23 though and a big thanks to all you men who are manly.

JugglingMonkeys
08-29-2007, 05:32
I will have to say a LOUD AMEN for post 23 though and a big thanks to all you men who are manly.

:smiley20:

JCAT
08-29-2007, 07:37
Lee Marvin

texarkandy
08-29-2007, 10:33
Charles Bronson

scubasamurai
08-29-2007, 11:46
i am for jerry lewis, anyone that can put an act like that and still be a straight man has my vote, just for the brass ones to act like that.

but i like kojack

mountaindiver
09-01-2007, 09:21
I just found this thread, and can't believe it took three pages before Clint Eastwood was mentioned. Who could ever forget looking down the barrel of his 44 and hear him ask, "Do you feel lucky, Punk? Well, do ya?"

Eastwood and Wayne they were real men

scuba Widow
09-01-2007, 21:52
I think that you guys are right about Sam Elliott, but my personally favorites are Nicholas Cage and John Travolta. Nicholas is just tough and John can dance and still put a guy in a world of hurt during a fight.

But I also think we should look at the real world of manly men: firefighters, truck drivers,the military men serving and any man that is willing to do whatever it takes to take care of his family. Especially my very favorite manly men SCUBA DIVERS!!!!

Capt Hook
09-01-2007, 23:44
All these "men" from the eighties were coerced to believe they had to Be PC in everthing. Result no real men.

diverdad
09-02-2007, 08:49
what about tom selleck or sean connery

ScubaJenn81
09-02-2007, 08:53
What about Tom Cruise......HA-HA, just kidding :smilie39:

dmdoss
09-02-2007, 23:09
Wake of the Red Witch (1948) starring John Wayne.

mm_dm
09-02-2007, 23:10
Clint Eastwood in 'Unforgiven'

danielh03
09-03-2007, 02:05
Ok, whats real about an Actor?

scuba Widow
09-03-2007, 08:05
Ok, whats real about an Actor?

Good point.

plot
09-03-2007, 08:18
what about like steven seagul?

dmdoss
09-03-2007, 11:03
Not steven, he likes to beat up on ladies.

Osprey
09-03-2007, 11:42
Come ON guys! Harrison Ford! He blew up the bad guys in a galaxy far far away in Star Wars, gave adventure a real human name in Indiana Jones, and then killed a man with a blender in Firewall!

Ok maybe the last one doesn't make him a man, but it was jaw-dropping none the less

As for "real" men, I would say anyone who really tries their best to make the most of who they are. Some men are really smart and great, but are stuck in really bad situations in crap jobs that nobody wants. But they're making the most of what's given to them without complaining (A favorite past time of many human beings!) and that takes a lot.

Plus the unsung heroes who participate in neighborhood watches and visit the elderly. Gloried and brave? No, but it's more than a lot of beefy men (and I'll say it, women!) do!

NucMed Man
09-10-2007, 11:42
As for actors portraying Real Men (and are still active) Mel Gibson in 'We Were Soldiers", Samuel L. Jackson, Gene Hackman, Harrison Ford, and Bruce Willis do very well.

As for the 'Real" real men several have been listed/mentioned but for me I see a real man that not only cares for his family/children but will also stand next to his neighbor and do the same.:smiley20:

AggieDad
09-11-2007, 18:13
No one listed the American Soldier, Marine, Airman or Coast Guardsman.

Take a 18 year kid and in 4 months turn him into a disciplined fighting man that sacrifices so much and to their wives who sacrifice beyond measure.

tremtech
09-11-2007, 19:33
any of the over 160,000 soldiers serving in Iraq or Afganistan

scuba Widow
09-11-2007, 20:15
No one listed the American Soldier, Marine, Airman or Coast Guardsman.

Take a 18 year kid and in 4 months turn him into a disciplined fighting man that sacrifices so much and to their wives who sacrifice beyond measure.

Very well said.

jwdizney
09-11-2007, 20:31
Eastwood, Clint Eastwood

for 'theatrical' men, Clint gets my vote! Unforgiven... you kidding me.. what a bad a$$!

foo
09-12-2007, 00:48
Clint Eastwood- "The Outlaw Josey Wales"
Tom Laughlin- "Billy Jack"
And dmdoss- Sam Elliot in "Lifeguard"- OH yeah. ;)

mrbheagney
09-04-2008, 19:09
Cosmopolitan males, I can't stand that crap either.

GIFFMANN
09-04-2008, 20:30
I would have to second Tom Selleck. He is not part of the liberal Hollywood establishment, is pro gun and not afraid to speak his mind.

bubble-head
09-07-2008, 13:49
My vote would have to be for Tom Selleck also. A good friend of mine met him a few years back and said he was really down to earth and friendly. Another buddy met Colin Farrell while shooting 'Miami Vice' and said he was really cool also and not full of himself.