PDA

View Full Version : Dive Medicine

Krakenn
08-27-2007, 06:14
Well I thought I would start a new thread as the mans laws was spinning out of control like a B17 over Germany in WW2 with its tail shot off. Fitness seemed the most appropriate area to post.

I have had for past couple of years a problem with sinus pain in the cavities above my eyes. I can remember laughing at guys that used to have it as i couldnt understand it. Then when I had that feeling of a nail getting driven through my skull above my eyes at about 6-10 metres I nearly gave up diving.

Now to get over the event I ended up taking a cold and flu tablet plus a sinus puffer each time i dived and whamo the problem was gone.

I do worry that one day I could get a reverse sinus at depth and have trouble getting back up but I have never had that problem once they have cleared.

It is something that worries me though and even if I dont take my treatment I can slowly push on past 10 metres and i can equalise - but it hurts!

Now I have recently given up smoking in the hope that the problem will rectify itself as well as the cough but only time will tell.

I'd be interested to hear your views on this or similar experiences or treatments to the problem. Giving up diving is not an option btw!

I have no problems equalising my ears.

This thread would also be good for divers to comment on other dive medical issues and I look forward to any comments on a range of issues

All the best

Kraks

cgvmer
08-27-2007, 06:45
I recommend a good allergist. I have spent alot of time with mine who also happens to be my son's. My son has allergy induced asthma, and when I told the allergist he wanted to dive, the doctor did due-diligence, had us return after reviewing the diving info ( I gave him DAN's number).

What the doctor did was change his medicine to ensure that he doesn't experience the problem on ascent.

Good luck

somewhereinla
08-27-2007, 11:37
Actually what you need is to see a doctor that specialize in Diving Medicine. So that he/she can evaluate your equalisation technics.
It is possible, actually very likely that you have a bad technic. For a long time I thought I couldn't dive as I had similar symptoms you described earlier but at 3-4 feet. I have pretty bad sinus ( I almost always feel somewhat congested) and yet, now that I have a good equalisation technic I can go to 100ft in no time.

How much experience do you have? How many logged dives?

Krakenn
08-30-2007, 05:30
A few decades and alot of dives but i dont log them sorry but thanks for the comments actually I think cgvmer may be my new hero and I have an appointment in 3 weeks with an allergist.

Kraks

JugglingMonkeys
08-30-2007, 05:49
Have you called DAN about this?

Xspect
08-30-2007, 06:30
mucinex is your friend

drdiver
08-30-2007, 08:35
Well I've lived with my sinus problems for as long as I've been diving (32 years this fall) and had to have sinus surgery at least in part due to my diving. This is how I handled it now. 12 or 24 hour Sudafed at the start of the dive day (no antihistamines). I put a shot of long acting Afrin on my Eustachian tube opening in my throat as well. I make sure and blow my nose and clear everything out and spit (sounds gross, works for me-better than squeeze) right before I get in the water. I regularly use a saline wash like Ocean and a Nettie pot in the morning and at night. And I've never had a reverse squeeze or trouble clearing in 10 years or so. Diligence is my key. The mucinex idea is also good, but thick mucus often suggests an infection and you shouldn't dive if you have one of those.

scubasamurai
08-31-2007, 19:14
call dan, especially if your a member your paying for it, and see if they have a good md specializing in dive medicine and ent ( ears nose throat). might be able to help you.

Krakenn
09-02-2007, 23:40
Im managing the problem fine. i was more interested to know if there was an end solution or an alternative treatment that I was not aware of.

Thx for the comments

Kraks

paintsnow
09-03-2007, 23:02
congrats on giving up smoking, don't start again. but im sure you already figured it was bad for you
:)

Bill22
09-13-2007, 20:24
I use to take sudafed to "dry" me out, if I were having any sinus issues. One of those things I guess that we're not "technically" supposed to do. But it seemed to work and I never had a problem with it.

Krakenn
09-24-2007, 21:51
Yeah, I agree Bill the only thing is stuffing the goo up the breather hole on the dive boat, everyone looks at you and you can hear them thinking. Shyt I hope I dont get paired with that dude. - LOL

But I agree it works and noone i have spoken too has said that it is dangerous.

Kraks

creggur
09-25-2007, 07:57
I've suffered with allergies for a long time. Any rx or OTC pill that I tried would only give me temporary relief....I started using this about 4 months ago. http://www.unimedprod.com/index1.shtml

I am on no sinus medicine at all, even off the Flonase which I've been using for almost 5 years. It really is like I've gotten my life back....

caroln
09-25-2007, 22:14
I've suffered with allergies for a long time. Any rx or OTC pill that I tried would only give me temporary relief....I started using this about 4 months ago. http://www.unimedprod.com/index1.shtml

I am on no sinus medicine at all, even off the Flonase which I've been using for almost 5 years. It really is like I've gotten my life back....

Can you buy this in stores or do you have to order online? I am using another sinus rinse currently but am interested in trying this.

meesier42
09-26-2007, 19:25
find an ENT

BoomerNJ
09-27-2007, 08:29

Can you buy this in stores or do you have to order online? I am using another sinus rinse currently but am interested in trying this.

You can get it locally, at several big pharmacy chains...

click this link to see where... http://www.unimedprod.com/howtobuylocal2.shtml

cgvmer
09-27-2007, 08:45
Kraken,
That is one of the items my son's allergist gave him. So now whenever he feels his sinus beginning to squeeze he uses the sinus rinse.

Have you seen an allergist or ENT doc yet?

Krakenn
10-06-2007, 00:19
Dude Im cured thanks to you!

No I didnt need to see the allegist as i found them all here on the ST Board.

Thankyou very much the mess is worth the trouble free diving.

Cheers pal.

Kraks

beperkins
10-16-2008, 13:53
Glad you found your magic potion.