PDA

View Full Version : New vs. Old Oceanic Geo

ddoyle76
08-02-2009, 22:07
Does anybody know what the differences are between the old and the new Oceanic Geo/Aeris Manta (other than the style/colors)?

Any help you could give would be appreciated.

ScubaToys Larry
08-02-2009, 22:14
The other difference is about 170 bucks...

ddoyle76
08-02-2009, 22:38
Yeah, that's what I figured.

Another question...will the software that enables you to look at dive profiles on your computer work on a Mac? Or is it strictly PC only?

ScubaToys Larry
08-03-2009, 06:08
PC... but might run on the soft window stuff... not sure.

CompuDude
08-03-2009, 13:25
It's PC only but if you have Windows running on your Mac via Parallels, VMware, Boot Camp, etc., it should work fine.

ddoyle76
08-03-2009, 19:06
Okay, thanks. I figured it was probably a PC-only kind of thing.

One more question...I am currently not running any kind of "soft Windows" or otherwise running Windows on my Mac. Would it be worth it just for this software (I really don't have any other PC software that I'm dying to use)?

What are the advantages to being able to profile dives on my home computer?

Thanks again for all the help!

CompuDude
08-03-2009, 19:28
Whether it's "worth it" is up to you... to be honest, I'm not 100% certain I would bother if that was the ONLY PC software I had to run.

Tracking your dives electronically instead of on paper is nice, you can review your dive profile graphs to see how your dive went, where you had warnings, etc, you can calculate your SAC rate easier and see how it changes over time (although you'll have to enter some info manually since the computer is not air integrated), all of these things can improve your diving if you want to learn from them and spend the time studying and working to improve.

If you're not interested in that, though, and prefer to keep a hand log rather than computer-based, there's little point in spending that much money just to download logs. In MY opinion.

fire diver
08-03-2009, 19:49
For me, this is the most important reason for downloading dive logs. I can see info that isn't available otherwise. The graph is really good for showing you how well you can hold your stops. Mine also shows my average depth for the dive, which is a nice feature too.

CWSWine
08-03-2009, 20:14
If you have a Geo or Manta you can download MacDive at MacDive - Devices (http://thedoorisajar.org/macdive/page3/page3.html) and download you dives. I have not tired yet but both computers are suppose to be supported. I did download the software and it looks a lot better then the Geo software.

ddoyle76
08-03-2009, 20:20
CWSWine, you are officially my favorite person! You're lucky you live in Manhattan, KS, or I would kiss you. :smilie39::smilie39:

crandf
09-30-2009, 10:44
I can't help but wonder even in the old and new style Geos work identically, maybe their innards were sourced from different suppliers, maybe their circuitry are different? Maybe one drains battery faster than the other? Maybe the old style is more/less problematic than the new style. You know, things like that. Makes me a bit hesitant.

Draq
09-30-2009, 15:51
Hesitant to do what?

crandf
09-30-2009, 20:06
To buy it of course

Lj82
10-01-2009, 00:10
To buy it of course

Hi Crandf,
looks like you took the advice to join this board. :smiley20:
I don't think you have to worry too much about whether the Geo is new version or old version. Both should work the same and if there is any problem with either version, ST or Oceanic will take care of you. I use a Geo and absolutely love it.

bobby_hirst
10-01-2009, 08:49
Thinking of buying the Geo myself off of ST here pretty soon.

mitsuguy
10-01-2009, 16:04
Have owned both, actually, 5 total... 3 of the first style, now, 2 of the new style...

of the first style, one was lost, and the other two replaced by Oceanic with the new style under warranty... Don't think it was anything wrong with the first style, we just kinda wore them out... we both had roughly 800+ hours on each one and they started having some battery issues...

The only operational difference between them is a slight software difference - the first style displayed EL2 (elevation) when it sensed ambient pressure above 1000 ft ASL, now it's been revised to be when it senses it above 2000 ft ASL... most likely due to complaints about it displaying EL2 incorrectly, and in my experience, when the weather was changing...

Draq
10-02-2009, 12:51
Well, I guess I knew you probably meant hesitant to buy, but I didn't know if you meant hesitant to buy the "new" one or the "old" one.

If you were to get the "titanium" color, I don't think there is any such thing as new and old, they are all the same, as far as I know. I have no idea which mine is. I am not sure if the firmware change has any connection to the "new" and "old" models. If so, my old one that I bought in 2008 just became a new one because I sent it in on 9-22 for the firmware update and got it back today.

I don't think the introduction of a new model is reason to hesitate to buy, especially where the new "model" is a cosmetic change. There may be some other changes in parts or vendors but those can occur at anytime with any product using component parts.

If you like the looks of the old one, save some money and get it. I would not hesitate for a moment based on the new/old issue. In fact, I am not sure that designation even comes from the company and may just be a sales distinction.

When you connect the dive computer to the divelog software it well tell which firmware version you have. If it isn't current and you care, Oceanic will update it for you.

Maybe they should just call them discontinued colors.

crandf
10-05-2009, 22:33
I ordered the old style Geo from ST in the end. Figured the price was just too good to pass up. Waiting now.......:smilie40:

Lj82
10-05-2009, 22:52
I ordered the old style Geo from ST in the end. Figured the price was just too good to pass up. Waiting now.......:smilie40:

You got them to send direct to sg or via vpost/comgate?

crandf
10-06-2009, 20:53
Send direct to SG, USPS priority mail. I figured I'll suffer less stress than dealing with vpost/comgateway again just to save maybe SGD20 or less.