PDA

View Full Version : Oceanic Geo - Reviews anyone?

Catastic
08-03-2009, 13:05
Hi. I just got certified and am planning to dive in Mexico in about a month. I am looking into buying an inexpensive (relatively speaking) dive computer and found that the Ocean Geo seems to have all the major features and then some.

Does anyone have any complaints with it or have it and love it?

TRiggER2117
08-03-2009, 13:08
well I looked at it in the closeout section for about 249.95 and after reading the reviews and such I had to order it!

I akready have it ordered and on its way. I cant wai t to get it wet :)

cmburch
08-03-2009, 13:28
I have a Geo. My complaint is it is not very intuitive for me to cycle through all the features. I have to hold a button down for a couple of seconds to see the temp and the buttons are not that easy to depress and hold with thick gloves. It works well otherwise. I have no experience with other wrist dive computers. I actually only use my computers as bottom timers to monitor depth, temperatures and elapsed time.

PTAaron
08-03-2009, 13:52
I love mine. I find the controls very simple to understand - once you learn what they all mean. I have had no trouble operating the buttons even with my thick cold water gloves (maybe the brand of gloves makes a difference?).
Alerts could be a little louder - hard to hear with a 7mm hood on, and it would be nice to have a visual display of ascent speed other than just a "slow down" alarm ... but those are minor complaints.

My father inlaw has a Mares M2 - and I can't figure out how to do anything on that computer!

CWSWine
08-03-2009, 14:02
I have a Geo. My complaint is it is not very intuitive for me to cycle through all the features. I have to hold a button down for a couple of seconds to see the temp and the buttons are not that easy to depress and hold with thick gloves. It works well otherwise. I have no experience with other wrist dive computers. I actually only use my computers as bottom timers to monitor depth, temperatures and elapsed time.

I'm with you that it hard to set and not intuitive. I purchased a Zeagle it there is light years with of difference between them. Cycle though all the settings is really easy and has one screen that shows most of the common settings without cycling though anything. There isn't any hold these two buttons for 2 seconds then push this button and than that button to get to the different menus.

Catastic
08-03-2009, 14:07
Thanks everyone!! Even though there are some minor complaints, I think it will probably be a good first computer.

CWSWine
08-03-2009, 15:01
Read this thread - Manta and Geo are the same computer.

http://forum.scubatoys.com/computers-gauges/20873-geo-follow-bar-graph-ndc-time.html

It has done it twice and lock me out second time for 24 hours - I carry a Wisdom II as a primary computer and Manta as a backup.

Sansho
08-03-2009, 21:27
I started with an Aeris Manta, same as Oceanic Geo, and would recommend it. I now use it as a backup to my Sherwood Wisdom II computer.

navyhmc
08-04-2009, 04:54
My only complaint on the Geo is that when on nitrox, you can't see your O2 loading. But in retrospect, if I haven't been paying attention to it before the dive(s) in the planning then what's the worry now? I can honestly say that I have never dove enough to get even close to 90% O2 much less 100%

CompuDude
08-04-2009, 13:18
My only complaint on the Geo is that when on nitrox, you can't see your O2 loading. But in retrospect, if I haven't been paying attention to it before the dive(s) in the planning then what's the worry now? I can honestly say that I have never dove enough to get even close to 90% O2 much less 100%

Diving recreational profiles within the MOD, it's really hard to exceed o2 exposure limits.

navyhmc
08-04-2009, 23:16
You said it better.... :smiley20: