PDA

View Full Version : BC Fit, Curvy Girl, Help Needed!

Catastic
08-03-2009, 13:58
Hi! I am looking into buying my very first BCD. :smiley32: I read some of the other posts and am glad to hear I wasn't the only woman who's BC and first stage kept riding up and hitting my head during training!

At the risk of this sounding like a personal ad....I am a size 10 and 5'5". I have a C-cup chest and I think my torso length is about average. I was looking at the Sherwood Luna BC. Anyone own it and love/hate it?

Are there any woman out there with my body style who absolutely love their BCs? Any recommendations?

scubagirlj
08-03-2009, 14:49
am no size 10 but had same problem-talked to ST and they put together a Zeagle Brigade with small shoulders and med waist(is adjustable) that fits like a dream(big bust and short waisted)-couldn't believe the difference the first time i got it wet!-if nothing else, talk to the ST guys, they will steer you in right direction

CompuDude
08-03-2009, 15:31
I can't speak from personal experience, lacking the physical attributes in question (LOL), but I've read MANY happy reports from those who bought Zeagle BCs, since the harness systems are very customizable.

There's always the bp/w option, which is infinitely sizable, but I'm merely mentioning that in passing, not trying to start something.

scubagirlj
08-03-2009, 15:48
not to change the subject but men have other issues, like not having hips to hold up weight belts!

Vercingetorix
08-03-2009, 16:41
I'll second the Zeagle Brigade; I used one during OW. I'm a guy and buit straight up and down, but I've seen guys and gals who weren't. The Brigade can swap the upper harness and lower harness fo nearly any physical configuration. Price is right; about $400.

Zenagirl
08-03-2009, 17:28
The most important thing is to find a BC that fits perfectly and is comfortable. Brand, style, size, and recommendations don't mean a darned thing since fit is #1 regardless of all of those things.

I personally dive a Zeagle Zena, which is basically a corset with a wing. It's a very minimalist BC and back inflate, which isn't for everyone. Zeagle also makes 2 other women's BCs, and there are always the men's ones to consider. The biggest 2 reasons I'm partial to Zeagle is because of their amazing customer service (I love you Scott!!) and because their BCs are modular for a custom fit.

You can literally call ScubaToys with your measurements, which BC you're interested in, and they will swap out pieces to make you a custom sized BC that they aren't often wrong about being a perfect fit.

julz
08-03-2009, 17:32
i have the luna and like it. fits comforstably no riding up i'm about 5'6 and size 14 with DDD cup.

Lulubelle
08-03-2009, 20:44
I am 5'10" but will not be giving my stats here although I think I can identify with your issues:smiley5:

I tried the Zeagle Lazer and Stiletto. I chose the Stiletto and love it. In rental BCs, the shoulders were always too large and things moved about too much.

The Lazer was too short for me and I also didn't care for the shoulders.

The Stiletto was perfect, I liked the way the shoulders come up the center of the back and then up and over articulating sharply back and avoiding the "girls". I think this design is good for women whose shoulders often slope down a bit. I was able to put a small shoulder into a medium BC and it fits like a dream.

Try them all on. You might like the Zena, I am a bit too busty for that BC.

Largo
08-03-2009, 22:09
When I was a woman, I had a Zena and loved it.

Nowadays, I go with a BP/W.

Diver Kat
08-03-2009, 23:30
The most important thing is to find a BC that fits perfectly and is comfortable. Brand, style, size, and recommendations don't mean a darned thing since fit is #1 regardless of all of those things.

I personally dive a Zeagle Zena, which is basically a corset with a wing. It's a very minimalist BC and back inflate, which isn't for everyone. Zeagle also makes 2 other women's BCs, and there are always the men's ones to consider. The biggest 2 reasons I'm partial to Zeagle is because of their amazing customer service (I love you Scott!!) and because their BCs are modular for a custom fit.

You can literally call ScubaToys with your measurements, which BC you're interested in, and they will swap out pieces to make you a custom sized BC that they aren't often wrong about being a perfect fit.

+1 :smiley20: what Zenagirl said!!

Also dive a Zeagle Zena and love it. I'm short & busty and it was great being able to put the BC together - shoulders, vest & front - so that it fit me well. I've been diving it for 6+ years and 300+ dives and the BC is still in great shape. And added bonus to the Zena is no velcro sticking to your wetsuit all the time! It zips up the front!!

obrules15
08-04-2009, 08:22
Hi! I am looking into buying my very first BCD. :smiley32: I read some of the other posts and am glad to hear I wasn't the only woman who's BC and first stage kept riding up and hitting my head during training!

At the risk of this sounding like a personal ad....I am a size 10 and 5'5". I have a C-cup chest and I think my torso length is about average. I was looking at the Sherwood Luna BC. Anyone own it and love/hate it?

Are there any woman out there with my body style who absolutely love their BCs? Any recommendations?
I currently dive a Zeagle Lazer and love it, I am 5'4 size 12 short waisted and D cup. Zeagle's have always worked for me. The modular fit system makes them the easiest to get a good fit. Call ST they will definitely help you out.

P.S. I swear none of us work for Zeagle (although if Scott wanted to give us a comission we would take it) it's just that when you find something that works this well you want to tell everyone about it.

Lulubelle
08-04-2009, 08:49
I currently dive a Zeagle Lazer and love it, I am 5'4 size 12 short waisted and D cup. Zeagle's have always worked for me. The modular fit system makes them the easiest to get a good fit. Call ST they will definitely help you out.

P.S. I swear none of us work for Zeagle (although if Scott wanted to give us a comission we would take it) it's just that when you find something that works this well you want to tell everyone about it.

Height is definitely relevant. I assumed I would need a female styled BC because of my shape. I could not use the female cut BCs because of my tall height. So the Lazer was a no go for me even though I am short waisted for my height. But I agree, that you can make any of the Zeagle BCs fit a curvy female shape by using different sizes for the component parts.

It is doable by mail, ST was great about helping me tweak my choice to fit just perfectly.

I'm with you about the commission OB rules.

Catastic
08-04-2009, 12:48
Thanks everyone! I'll look into the Zeagles more. :)

xring
08-12-2009, 16:39
I think Lulubelle is correct the taller you are the more likely you will need to use a "unisex" BC & adjust components to fit you. The shorter you are the more important that the BCD be designed for a lady. I bet the short thin girls might be better off with a "unisex" BCD also.

xring

scubarobin
08-13-2009, 15:02
check out the Seaquest Libra also.... it is a back inflate and has very little "obstruction" for the girls. :smiley9: I am 5'3" and Dcup, fits me great and my hubby likes the way the BC straps frame and accentuate. :smiley2:

babs13
08-17-2009, 03:29
Have yout thought about bp/wing? I had a similar issue as I'm top heavy and had alot of tank bonking with other bcds- until I tried a bp/w set up. I love me bp/w set up.

sea princess
09-10-2009, 10:10
I am 5'51/2 (gotta add the 1/2):smiley2: and a DD and I tried on at least 15 different BC's before i bought one. You will know when you find the right one it will fit perfectly. I even borrowed friends BC's and went diving with them on to try them out. Try womens and mens like some of the others said. I have an oceanic Hera and love it! it doesn't smash the girls and isn't to restrictive. Good luck with your search.

urdiving
10-18-2009, 02:22
Boy getting loaned stuff and borrowing temporarily has severly reminded me the luxury of your own gear. My gear I have (still in spouses possession) is Zeagle ranger and you get it customize I have slim hips short waist and broad shoulders with large chest so ordered it xs waist and small top. the whole thing and is adjustable so even if you purchase used, you can get seperate parts and the best thing is a Zeagle will not outgrow your skills either! More companies are coming out with similar products so shop around. For example I was sold on BARE 7ml until I had to rent a henderson, now the new products from 8 years ago are better keeping you warm and dry and less stiff. So Im purchasing next week a 7ml in a different brand at scuba toys! I may have to purchase new scuba gear on piece at a time I think it will be another 6 months before I see my stuff again! Unless he threw it to the gators in the canals! (its not a joke, and I will be writing a book about it someday!)

Lulubelle
10-18-2009, 08:42
Boy getting loaned stuff and borrowing temporarily has severly reminded me the luxury of your own gear. My gear I have (still in spouses possession) is Zeagle ranger and you get it customize I have slim hips short waist and broad shoulders with large chest so ordered it xs waist and small top. the whole thing and is adjustable so even if you purchase used, you can get seperate parts and the best thing is a Zeagle will not outgrow your skills either! More companies are coming out with similar products so shop around. For example I was sold on BARE 7ml until I had to rent a henderson, now the new products from 8 years ago are better keeping you warm and dry and less stiff. So Im purchasing next week a 7ml in a different brand at scuba toys! I may have to purchase new scuba gear on piece at a time I think it will be another 6 months before I see my stuff again! Unless he threw it to the gators in the canals! (its not a joke, and I will be writing a book about it someday!)

Ah so you are female then urdiving. Sorry about having your gear held hostage. I know some folks going through the same thing and it is a special kind of insanity. I'll never understand how people get anything good out of just being nasty. Too bad you don't live here, I am grounded from diving for a few months and my gear is in the closet! But in rereading your post, probably wouldn't fit I am 5'10".

Good luck.

Lulu

a22shady
10-28-2009, 12:41
My G/F had a similar issue just couldn't get the right feel / fit for a BC then she tried the Halcyon Eclipse and Loved. It's a little more expensive but think of it this way spend a little more save alot later if you decide to do other things such as wreck, caverns,caves or diving Doubles. Good Luck

ladymaria
01-07-2010, 22:48
I'm a very inexperienced diver-certified 4 yrs ago, have done 3 dive since, but none since I knee replacement two years ago.

I'm 5'9" 60 yr old size 18 with much more on the top than the bottom.

Am going to Ambergris Caye-just north of San Pedro soon and will be renting all equipment except mask, boots & fins, and snorkel.

Any suggestions on how to get the best fit with a rental BCD?

How do I pick a good dive shop for a refresher course and dives? Thanks!

DevilDiver
01-08-2010, 07:02
I'm a very inexperienced diver-certified 4 yrs ago, have done 3 dive since, but none since I knee replacement two years ago.

I'm 5'9" 60 yr old size 18 with much more on the top than the bottom.

Am going to Ambergris Caye-just north of San Pedro soon and will be renting all equipment except mask, boots & fins, and snorkel.

Any suggestions on how to get the best fit with a rental BCD?

How do I pick a good dive shop for a refresher course and dives? Thanks!

Check into:

Amigos Del Mar ( Amigos Del Mar, Ambergris Caye, Belize > Home (http://amigosdive.com/Home/tabid/243/Default.aspx))

or Ecological Divers (Welcome to Ecologic Divers! (http://www.ecologicdivers.com/))

Where will you be staying?

Both shops have decent rental gear (but always inspect) but as far as sizing you are subject to what is available and/or all ready rented.

Another option is to rent local and take with you on items that you feel would be an issue....

If you have any questions let me know, it looks like I will be heading back down in March....

Noob
01-08-2010, 08:50
not to change the subject but men have other issues, like not having hips to hold up weight belts!

Ditto here, ST's built me a Brigade. I've got a small waist but wide shoulders. They fit me up one and it fit perfect!

scubagirlj
01-08-2010, 14:28
update on curvy fit-got a transpac-LOVE it-it too comes in interchangable sized components and is sooo less bulky

Dry_diver
01-12-2010, 09:05
I am not sure if it has been listed yet or not, My wife loves her Aqua Lung Pear i3. She is very curvy as well.