PDA

View Full Version : Gymnasts uses splits... what about me?

NewDaScuba13
07-12-2007, 00:49
Okay, I hear all this huff and puff about split fins. I believe the blade style fins are completely okay, so why would I want to go to split fins? Besides, even all the split fins are different shapes and stuff.

CompuDude
07-12-2007, 01:47
Bad knees are a big reason. So are weak ankles.

And frankly, they're fast! (diving wet under the right circumstances)

If you're happy with the fins you have, though, there is ZERO reason to switch to splits.

cummings66
07-12-2007, 07:16
I'd agree, no need to switch.

jacewindu
07-12-2007, 08:46
i'm not a huge fan of the splits, but it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. i think there's no compromise if you want to go faster - straight blade is awesome. underwater acrobatics may require splits, so that's something to consider... ;)

Diver Dennis
07-12-2007, 09:52
Try them out for yourself. I know divers who swear by them and others who hate them. It's up to personal preference, IMO.

Vercingetorix
07-12-2007, 15:01
Or, go with hybrids, also available from ST. The outer edges are paddle-style, but the middle is soft, allowing the two sides to flex like a split. Provides power (not as much as full blades) and quick starts, like a split.

CompuDude
07-12-2007, 16:16
Or, go with hybrids, also available from ST. The outer edges are paddle-style, but the middle is soft, allowing the two sides to flex like a split. Provides power (not as much as full blades) and quick starts, like a split.
If it's not split, I can't call call it a split. It's a paddle.

Splits don't actually have fast starts. Paddles do. Splits actually take longer to start up. Sort of like the high gears in your bike... it's easier to pedal, but you don't have the quick start you have in a lower gear.

ScubaToys Joe
07-12-2007, 16:46
The split fins are much moreefficient then blade fins! WhenI switched 5 years agoI cut my air consumption by 15% and was less fatigued!
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>With the the Apollo Bio-Fin (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=BioFins) itrequires much less effort. A small kick creates a propeller type effect, The Bio-Fin allows you to relax a little. Thefin was designed with the optimum angle, weight, and stiffness. It requires less effort, less air consumption, and will in reality provide far more power and speed than the wide kick required with other fins.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thanks </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Joe </DIV>

CompuDude
07-12-2007, 17:01
The split fins are much moreefficient then blade fins! WhenI switched 5 years agoI cut my air consumption by 15% and was less fatigued!
<div></div>
<div>With the the Apollo Bio-Fin (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=BioFins) itrequires much less effort. A small kick creates a propeller type effect, The Bio-Fin allows you to relax a little. Thefin was designed with the optimum angle, weight, and stiffness. It requires less effort, less air consumption, and will in reality provide far more power and speed than the wide kick required with other fins.</div>

<div></div>
<div>Thanks </div>
<div></div>
<div>Joe </div>
True to a point. But instant acceleration is not their strong suit. Try comparing splits to paddles when you are trying to launch yourself out of the water to get over the edge of a small Panga. It takes more leg strength, but the paddles will deliver more thrust in that one big kick than the splits can.

Splits definitely have their strengths, and I love my Bio-Fins, but there are definitely specific instances where other fins have an edge.

ScubaToys Joe
07-12-2007, 17:19
I will concede to that! ButI would give up thrust for more air and less fatigue on most dives... but then again I'm a lazy fat guy! <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Joe

ScubaToys Larry
07-12-2007, 19:22
I'm a lazy fat guy! </span>
</span>
</span>
Joe </span>

That looks like a new sig for you Joe! smileys/smiley36.gif

Cichlid
07-12-2007, 22:19
So if I were a lazy fat guy with semi weak ankles, I should be looking
into split fins? This is all hypothetical of course. I mean I'm
looking into this for a "friend". Seriously though, should I?smileys/smiley2.gif

GLENFWB
07-13-2007, 00:19
<DIV>Well, I don't have weak ankles, I am rather energetic, but am worried that the fat guy description may not be far off. I bought the Apollo split fins a few months back and would highly recommend them to anyone looking for fins. But, if someone is happy with what they have I guess, "If it ain't broke don't fix it."</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>
So if I were a lazy fat guy with semi weak ankles, I should be looking into split fins? This is all hypothetical of course. I mean I'm looking into this for a "friend". Seriously though, should I?smileys/smiley2.gif </DIV>

NewDaScuba13
07-13-2007, 01:19
I noticed that there's a lot of different brands that use the split fin. On the Xpert ZOOMs, does that slightly large arch make any difference in the fin? The ZOOM has the arch and the Bio-Fins are completely straight, but there's a $30 difference.

CompuDude
07-13-2007, 01:25
The bio-fins are all natural rubber, which should last longer and are more expensive to manufacture. That's part of your difference right there.

I've tried both, and prefer the bio-fins. Actually, I prefer the bio-fin XT-Cs.

przeor
07-13-2007, 03:13
Tell your "friend" yes. They are exactly what he needed. I used Bio-Fins when I first started diving because they were suggested to me by our LDS to help out with a recently injured ankle. I really enjoyed them, but I enjoy my jets even more. I can back kick easier, helicopter, etc. All which come in handy when taking pictures. Plus the paddles are the way to go in a drysuit with doubles!

comet24
07-19-2007, 16:29
How are split fins with a frog kick.

tc_rain
07-19-2007, 16:39
I used to get leg cramps after a couple of dives when using paddle fins. I tried a set of Tusa Zooms a friend owned and cramps were no longer a problem. I then looked into other brands of split fins and ended up buying theBio fins. I am very happy with them and never had a problem keeping up with anyone else.

CompuDude
07-19-2007, 16:45

Depends on the splits. You can certainly execute a frog kick with splits on, but you won't get nearly the thrust you do with any paddle fin. Also, some splits are better than others at it.

comet24
07-19-2007, 16:57

Depends on the splits. You can certainly execute a frog kick with splits on, but you won't get nearly the thrust you do with any paddle fin. Also, some splits are better than others at it.

Thats what I figured.

tc_rain
07-19-2007, 17:05
I frog kick about half of the time and don't have any problems with the bio fins

CompuDude
07-19-2007, 17:13
I frog kick about half of the time and don't have any problems with the bio fins
The frog kick with the XTs is better than with regular bio-fins, because of the extra stiffness. I frog kick with my XTs all the time. Works fine.

But the thrust they produce with a frog kick doesn't begin to compare to the thrust the same frog kick produces with my Jets on.

tc_rain
07-19-2007, 17:20
A stiffer fin would be better for the kick but not on my joints. The fins do seem to have pretty good speed to them. Every once in a while I need to stop kicking to allow other to catch up.