PDA

View Full Version : Kids now certified

crosseyed95
08-07-2009, 09:21
I'm now the proud parent of two kids who have finished their OW dives.

I've always been concerned about pushing my kids with diving. However, this winter they both asked to get certified. I knew they were hooked this summer when they got their tables out and asked for help. Anybody who wants tutoring on tables must want to dive!!

Visibility on their last dive was about 10' with crap loads of silt in the water. Water temp was 54 degrees on the surface and about 50 on the bottom. They both came up smiling and last night were going thru all my dive materials picking out locations around this area that they want to dive.

As a DM, I'm equally proud. My kids learned to dive in cold water with limited vis. They've taken their training seriously, know their tables, emergency procedures and not only how to assemble their equipment but how it works.

My only problem is that this winter I'm afraid they are going to want to go on our annual dive vacation Florida. They earned it but does anybody want to spot me some cash??

crosseyed95

mwhities
08-07-2009, 09:38
Dry suits baby! Dive all year. (I do!)

Congrats! I have 10 years before my dive buddy starts diving.

Michael

Flatliner
08-07-2009, 09:47
Nothing better, but I'm using all my cash on my own little dive buddies...

rfortune
08-07-2009, 15:10
My two teens got certified in June. Each has 6-8 dives in this summer and ....

We leave for Cozumel next Friday!!!!

snagel
08-07-2009, 19:21
Totally Awesome!!! My son (14 yrs) hasn't caught the bug. He did a Discover Scuba Class when he was 10 and it hurt his ears. Hasn't wanted to move forward with it. And you know what, I'm perfectly fine with it. He needs to do it only if he wants too. Also, I'm not sure I could take it always worrying about him.

Snagel

navyhmc
08-08-2009, 03:49
Outstanding!!! Sorry, I'm tapped out buying dive gear and going to Missouri diving when I can.

crosseyed95
08-08-2009, 09:16
Outstanding!!! Sorry, I'm tapped out buying dive gear and going to Missouri diving when I can.

Hey Navy,

Being you are now elevated to the "elite" level being a GMS and all, couldn't you put a good word in with ST? Maybe they could give me a free vacation for the tax write off? You know, helping the poor, feeding the hungry, taking care of vacations?

crosseyed95

caburrid
08-08-2009, 21:48
Congrats, how old are the new water munchkins?

crosseyed95
08-09-2009, 18:05

Daughter is 13 and son is 16.

caburrid
08-09-2009, 20:27

Oh, so they aren't munchins! :smiley36: We have a 5 year old that loves the water and the twins that were just born. We are working to see how we can get her into scuba in a couple of years (if she wants to, but she is curious about what we do). Is there anything out there you know of that makes scuba interesting and fun for the kids, even though yours are older than mine? Did it take them a while to become interested?

crosseyed95
08-10-2009, 18:30

Oh, so they aren't munchins! :smiley36: We have a 5 year old that loves the water and the twins that were just born. We are working to see how we can get her into scuba in a couple of years (if she wants to, but she is curious about what we do). Is there anything out there you know of that makes scuba interesting and fun for the kids, even though yours are older than mine? Did it take them a while to become interested?

To be honest I didn't have to do anything to get them interested. We are always around the water and they have been snorkeling for years. This was just a natural progression for them.

crosseyed95

klauricella
08-14-2009, 07:22
My twin sons went went thru class at 9 years old and now they are 17. It is one of the best things I ever did. It is the one thing they love to do so even tho they are teenagers and do not want to know anything the minute I ask if they want to dive I am again their best buddy. Also is does not get any cheaper they have gone from 4' to over 6' that means new wetsuits every year. Check your local dive shop and see if they have used equipment.
Good Luck

navyhmc
08-14-2009, 09:35
You may find another benefit to diving. When I started diving, I was 14 and was hooked for life! It did give me an extra incentive to avoid some of the peer pressure. Pot was really big in my HS and I was worried about what it would do to me if I smoked some and dove, so I didn't try it. Same with booze, I usually planned weekends around diving so I didn't drink. Kept me out of trouble a lot of times. Girls? that was a different matter...

crosseyed95
08-14-2009, 19:10
You may find another benefit to diving. When I started diving, I was 14 and was hooked for life! It did give me an extra incentive to avoid some of the peer pressure. Pot was really big in my HS and I was worried about what it would do to me if I smoked some and dove, so I didn't try it. Same with booze, I usually planned weekends around diving so I didn't drink. Kept me out of trouble a lot of times. Girls? that was a different matter...

Well here is my son's thought pattern right now:

Girls
Girls
Scuba diving
Girls
Hey, Scuba diving might get me girls

Not that I blame him since we were all there. But, you are right about the peer pressure.

crosseyed95