PDA

View Full Version : Mares Nemo Quick Connector

tk trekers
08-07-2009, 11:56
IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTICE!
NEMO AIR QUICK CONNECTOR RECALL
Dear Customer,
Please be informed that we have discovered a quality issue on the O-ring assembled on the Nemo Air Quick Connector.

Under certain circumstances the O-ring can fail and consequently Nemo Air may start leaking through the Quick Connector. As a result, there is a continuous, albeit slow, loss of breathing gas. This situation could potentially lead to an accident, hence Mares has decided to issue a product recall.

The solution already exists in the form of an O-ring of different material and hardness which can be retrofitted onto the Quick Connector of your current Nemo Air.

Please note that the event of an uncontrolled loss of breathing gas from the high pressure hose is regulated by the EN250 Norm, which requires a 0.3mm opening in the high pressure fitting. As a result, the loss of breathing gas is very slow and a diver should always be able to complete a dive safely,

NONETHELESS FOR YOUR PERSONAL SAFETY AND TO AVOID POSSIBLE DANGEROUS ACCIDENTS:
STOP DIVING WITH A QUICK CONNECTOR SUBJECT TO THIS RECALL UNTIL THE EXISTING O-RING IS REMOVED AND SUBSTITUTED WITH THE NEW ONE.

Affected products and codes are:
1. Finished goods
414158 DIVE COMPUTER NEMO AIR
414159 - DIVE COMPUTER NEMO AIR W/COMPASS NO
2. Spare parts
44200771 HP HOSE W/QUICK CONNECTOR NEMO AIR
44200770 QUICK CONNECTOR ASSY. FEMALE NEMO AIR

PLEASE CONTACT THE NEAREST AUTHORIZED MARES SERVICE CENTER TO SCHEDULE THE REPLACEMENT OF THE O-RING IN YOUR QUICK CONNECTOR.
NEMO AIR QUICK CONNECTOR O-RING MUST BE REMOVED AND SUBSTITUTED WITH THE NEW ONE.

More information will be published on: Mares - just add water (http://www.mares.com)

mtnplayva
08-07-2009, 13:23
Thank you for posting. I heard this was coming but didn't receive details from Mares. My regs are at the shop for annual servicing so I'll have them do this too.

tk trekers
02-03-2010, 08:22
There was an update sent out by Mares today:

IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTICE!
UPDATE OF - NEMO AIR QUICK CONNECTOR RECALL -
Dear Customer,
As you know we have discovered a quality issue on the O-ring assembled on the Nemo Air quick connector.
Under certain circumstances the O-ring can fail and consequently Nemo Air may start leaking through the Quick Connector. As a result, there is a continuous, albeit slow, loss of breathing gas. This situation could potentially lead to an accident, hence Mares has decided to issue a product recall.
The solution indicated was to substitute the existing O-ring with a new one of different material and hardness.
Even if above solution is already improving Nemo Air Quick Connector performance, we further investigated in order to obtain the maximum performance and reliability and we have found that, in severe conditions, even with the new O-ring NEMO AIR QUICK CONNECTOR was leaking.
We have therefore designed a NEW NEMO AIR QUICK CONNECTOR ASSY FEMALE (code 44200829) featuring a new seal and seat. This solution is fully satisfactory.
We ask you therefore TO REPLACE the mentioned QUICK CONNECTOR ASSY FEMALE with the new one.
NONETHELESS FOR YOUR PERSONAL SAFETY AND TO AVOID POSSIBLE DANGEROUS ACCIDENTS: STOP DIVING WITH A QUICK CONNECTOR SUBJECT TO THIS RECALL UNTIL THIS IS NOT REMOVED AND REPLACED WITH THE NEW ONE.
• Affected products and codes are:
1. Finished goods
414158 – DIVE COMPUTER NEMO AIR
414159 - DIVE COMPUTER NEMO AIR W/COMPASS NO
2. Spare parts
44200771 – HP HOSE W/QUICK CONNECTOR NEMO AIR
44200770 – QUICK CONNECTOR ASSY. FEMALE NEMO AIR
PLEASE CONTACT THE NEAREST AUTHORIZED MARES SERVICE CENTER TO SCHEDULE THE REPLACEMENT OF YOUR NEMO AIR QUICK CONNECTOR.
REMIND THAT NEMO AIR QUICK CONNECTOR MUST BE REMOVED AND SUBSTITUTED WITH THE NEW ONE AT NO CHARGE.
More information will be published on: Mares - just add water (http://www.mares.com)

Puddle Dipper
03-12-2010, 10:57
Howdy. Any new news on this recall. I'm hearing the latest fix doesn't work.

tk trekers
03-13-2010, 09:40
Not that I've seen anywhere. I bet a call to our friends at Scuba Toys would probably help you out.

yowie
04-03-2010, 20:24
Hi
I was wondering if anyone can tell me were the new o-rings could be purchased online? My local dive shop will replace them but not sell them to me and i wanted to put some in with my spares for when i'm diving way.

Regards
Phil

Puddle Dipper
04-05-2010, 15:11
Hey ya tktrekers, thanks for the advice. I did contact Mares and they must be pretty confident in the fix,because they are having me ship my 'pooter back to them and they are going to make the repair and overnight it back to me.
Hey yowie, have you tried the latest recall fix. It's the one where they replace the connector that needed the o ring. I think you won't need o rings with this new part. However you might look at a size 10 o ring. I haven't tried one but it looks close. I have come to the conclussion that the new fix will be better than replacing o rings every few dives. Good luck.