PDA

View Full Version : Ice Diving

skdvr
08-27-2007, 12:03
I was just curious who has been ice diving and what they thought about it. I am really thinking about doing it this Feb. I think that it would be pretty awesome.

Any other special gear considerations besides a good reg that can handle the cold water?

Phil

brutus_scuba
08-28-2007, 11:22
I was just curious who has been ice diving and what they thought about it. I am really thinking about doing it this Feb. I think that it would be pretty awesome.

Any other special gear considerations besides a good reg that can handle the cold water?

Phil

I have done it but only once. It was a lot of fun. I stayed shallow as I found the most exciting part of the dive to be playing with the ice itself. Like you said a good regulator is the key. Another equipment consideration you may think of, and I can't remember if it was a pre-requisite for my course, is at least an H-valve so that you have redundant first stages incase one were to free-flow.

in_cavediver
08-28-2007, 11:47

Phil

Done it, got the card and unless there is something great to see, not likely to go back. Its cool for a bit but the tethered line is quite annoying.

Definitely do it if your interested. Is a hoot. Oh, its definitely drysuit terrirory. Thinking of doing it in a wetsuit makes me cold now.

skdvr
08-28-2007, 12:39
I am really thinking it is something that I would like to do. My LDS makes a trip up to Lake Okoboji, IA and I just think that would be awesome. I was kind of wondering about the teather. I was wondering if you noticed it much or not. I think that would annoy me too, but I would be glad to have it so I could find my way out...

Thanks
Phil

b1gcountry
08-28-2007, 16:05
Let me know if you do it Phil, I'll go under the ice with you!

Tom

skdvr
08-28-2007, 19:10
Let me know if you do it Phil, I'll go under the ice with you!

Tom

It is the trip that TGADC is doing. I am going to go up and talk to them about it this weekend. I am also going to sign up for a dry suit class this weekend.

Phil

DivingsInMyBlood
08-28-2007, 19:14
I would love to go ice diving guess i'll have to wait around jan - feb here to go do it.

terrillja
08-28-2007, 19:35
Done it, got the card and unless there is something great to see, not likely to go back. Its cool for a bit but the tethered line is quite annoying.

Definitely do it if your interested. Is a hoot. Oh, its definitely drysuit terrirory. Thinking of doing it in a wetsuit makes me cold now.

The owner of my LDS goes every new year's eve at midnight with a 5mm suit. He has been doing it for many years. I think he is insane to do it in the dark, and with just a 5mm suit, but if it makes him happy...

skdvr
08-28-2007, 19:56

The owner of my LDS goes every new year's eve at midnight with a 5mm suit. He has been doing it for many years. I think he is insane to do it in the dark, and with just a 5mm suit, but if it makes him happy...

That seams pretty crazy to me too...

Damn that would be cold...

Phil

Debraw
08-28-2007, 19:57
I went ice diving last year in Lake Okoboji and received my certification as an ice diver during that weekend. I am going back this winter as an assistant. It was an amazing experience and I hope to get a lot more ice dives under my belt so I can attempt bigger trips in the next few years. It was a challenge with the equipment and that was part of the fun. If it was easy everyone would do it! You definitely need a drysuit, an environmentally sealed regulator, dry gloves or 7mm flexible wet gloves, and a dry hood. I also bought an ice cap ( Henderson makes one) . We used Blue Water divers up there and we sprung for the ice hut, totally worth it. There is a heater which warmed the hut up to a balmy 19 degrees when it was -3 outside with a -27 degree windchill factor.

b1gcountry
08-29-2007, 08:55
TGADC Awesome. Do you know who will be teaching it. I am definitely up for it now! Mark and Steve are cool...and Sandy Guier is a sweetie!

Tom

skdvr
08-29-2007, 09:39
TGADC Awesome. Do you know who will be teaching it. I am definitely up for it now! Mark and Steve are cool...and Sandy Guier is a sweetie!

Tom

Well I just noticed on their website that the flyer is for the 2007 trip... All I saw was Feb 10th and 11th and did not pay any attention to the year, until I was looking at the dates today at work to find out if I may be working then or not. That is when I realized that the 10th and 11th was not a weekend. I went back and looked at the flyer and it is for 2007. I am only working until noon today and then I am going to run by TGADC and talk to them about it and see if they are going to plan on one for Feb of 2008 or not. I will let you know what I find out...

Phil

skdvr
08-29-2007, 14:58
Well I went and talked to Steve and he said that he does not have anything in Stone yet but is going to start feeling people out to see how much interest he can spark.

Phil

b1gcountry
08-30-2007, 10:30
Cool. I'll put a bug in their ear next time I'm there. Keep me updated...

BTW, I just ordered a heavy steel plate for my own BP/W setup for Drysuit diving.

Queen
08-30-2007, 10:51
I used to SAR dive here in Central IL and we had occasions where we'd be out in the middle of the night in February, chopping a hole through the ice to do a recovery. My memories of it are brutal cold (we dove wet), dark, a little creepy, and all-in-all not a lot of fun. I stick with warm water these days. :thumb:

skdvr
08-30-2007, 11:13
it give me the shivers just thinking about jumping in with a wetsuit on. I am sure quite a few people do it, but not me. Well I may give it a shot sometime...

Phil

skdvr
08-30-2007, 11:14
Cool. I'll put a bug in their ear next time I'm there. Keep me updated...

BTW, I just ordered a heavy steel plate for my own BP/W setup for Drysuit diving.

Who did you get your plate from???

scubasamurai
08-30-2007, 13:04
that is why i moved to florida, nice warm water diving with only a need for a 5 or maybe a 7 ml in the deep winter months, crazy i say you guys are, crazy.

skdvr
08-31-2007, 07:24
that is why i moved to florida, nice warm water diving with only a need for a 5 or maybe a 7 ml in the deep winter months, crazy i say you guys are, crazy.

I would like to have the nice warm water all the time too, but I would still want to go North to do some ice diving. It is just something that I have wanted to do. We will see how I feel about it after actually doing it...

Phil

b1gcountry
09-04-2007, 08:02
That's kinda what I thought until I started doing it. Now I really like getting into some nice cold water...hey, once hypothermia sets in good, you start to feel warm again, so no worries!

Tom

PS, That was a joke about hypothermia...if you feel warm, that means you are about to die.

b1gcountry
09-04-2007, 08:03
Who did you get your plate from???

FredT. He had some .188 steel plates from a year or two ago that he was selling cheaper than the normal steel plates.

Tom

crosseyed95
09-06-2007, 20:49
We ice dive 4 to 5 times a winter. We have several in the group who wear wetsuits but I've never tried it. I once had a buddy who stayed under 40 minutes with me and he was in a wetsuit. I actually was the one who brought us up first. Either I was a wimp or he was trying to prove something to me. Not sure but I have some suspicions...

I like my first ice dive of the year but after that it's mainly to see fellow divers and get my gear on. It is an experience and I'd recommend everyone try it at least once. If anything, you got a good story to take to work the next week!!

Kidder
09-30-2007, 12:13
Ice diving seems so cool!!! (no pun intended) Check out this video with guys with scooters. Pretty good camera work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F80a1JxDiis
When I get my dry suit Qual. Have to do this at least once.

skdvr
10-01-2007, 06:43
damn that looks like fun. Although I do not know that I would want to be under ice without a teather.

Phil

Kidder
10-01-2007, 19:39
damn that looks like fun. Although I do not know that I would want to be under ice without a teather.

Phil

yeah that's kind of scary. what if you lose your hole especially with a scooter. :smiley11:

BobArnold8265
10-05-2007, 10:56
I'm sure ice diving is fasinating but think I'll stick to the warm waters of the Caribbean !!!

skdvr
10-05-2007, 11:25
I'm sure ice diving is fasinating but think I'll stick to the warm waters of the Caribbean !!!

Oh come on, you should at least try it once....

Phil