PDA

View Full Version : Windy Point Park Opinions

TRACI
08-10-2009, 11:19
Trying to get some opinions about Windy Point at Lake Travis. I would like to try some place new, maybe over Labor Day Weekend, and I have heard alot of people talking diving there.

ScubaJ
08-10-2009, 11:27
As luck would have it, you have a few options Traci.

You can hit the public side of Windy Point and dive off the point.
You can go to the private side where they have really nice facilities (shade, rinse water, porta potie, air, drinks, etc).
Or.... you can do a charter dive with Lake Travis Scuba.

With the lake being as low as it is, you should know that there is a fair amount of work to get down to the water.

Lake Travis Scuba will take you to a couple unique spots that you can only get to by boat.

So it all depends on what kind of diving your looking for. If your wanting to do shore dives, I would go to the private side. I little more expensive, but much nicer facilities and a few more items in the water to see.

Hope that helps.
-Jason

Vercingetorix
08-10-2009, 11:51
I did the private area a couple years ago for AOW. Cold; I wore a 7mm FJ. Not great viz: about 15 feet. If the lake is low, it could be murkier.

I'll have to check the Lake Travis Scuba boat option.

Traci, you may want to look at Mammoth Lake option. New scuba park with lots to dive on. I hope to go there in December or earlier.

TRACI
08-10-2009, 13:00
I did the private area a couple years ago for AOW. Cold; I wore a 7mm FJ. Not great viz: about 15 feet. If the lake is low, it could be murkier.

I'll have to check the Lake Travis Scuba boat option.

Traci, you may want to look at Mammoth Lake option. New scuba park with lots to dive on. I hope to go there in December or earlier.

Actually I forgot about Mammoth, that is also a good idea:smiley20:

PlatypusMan
08-10-2009, 13:12
I just got back from helping with an AOW class this past weekend at Windy Point.

The lake is down approximately 50 feet. The platform that sits at 60 feet normally is at 17 feet right now. Getting to the water is definitely a fair amount of work--and even more of an adventure getting out of the water since the stairs have a pretty sharp vertical incline to tackle while wearing/carrying your gear. Visibility was variable from almost zero to 4 feet due to loose silt disturbed from the current shoreline and drifting about. The Lake Travis charter option is one I would recommend right now in light of these conditions.

On a brighter note, it is now only 123 days until I leave for Australia.

PPM