PDA

View Full Version : Mares X-Vision - Frame cracking

TravisD
08-27-2007, 12:32
I just noticed that my ~1 year old X-vision mask has some cracks on the outer frame - right near where there seem to be some locking tabs for the inner frame maybe. One side has a small chunk missing, while the other side (eye) is starting to crack.

I love the mask. Before I order another one though, is this a common failure with this mask? About 25 dives on it total always stored in the tupperware it came in. I use the ScubaToys neoprene strap on it instead of the one it comes with.

Thanks!

-travis

Cichlid
08-27-2007, 13:02
I had one crack in the same spot when changing the standards lenses for rx lenses. Seems to be a definate weak point

Vegas
08-27-2007, 13:11
I had one crack in the same spot when changing the standards lenses for rx lenses. Seems to be a definate weak point

:smiley13:
I'm one more -- same mask, same cracks and chunk of plastic missing - mine was brand new though. I took it back to the shop and they replaced it.

ScubaToys Larry
08-27-2007, 13:11
I've never seen on crack on it's own... only when someone changed lenses in it.

I'll get in touch with mares and see if they have experienced any problem with that.

TravisD
08-27-2007, 13:14
Thanks, all. Sounds like it might be a weak spot. Lenses are standard non-prescription and have never been out. So far it hasn't caused any noticeable leaks, but I don't want to get caught mask-less at some point. Still trying to decide if I should stick with the same one or try something new...

scubasavvy
08-27-2007, 13:51
Is there any warranty? I'm not too familiar with warranties, but if its less than a year old...

NitroWill
08-27-2007, 13:56
Mine cracked this weekend same area..no idea how..Ive only had mine for a couple months too :(

Cichlid
08-27-2007, 17:54
Yeah it sucks, I only used mine once. I changed the lenses to a used one I bought and had hoped to use the new one as a back up. Larry advised me when it happens to them, they are out the mask because Mares won't replace them. Hopefully because you weren't changing the lenses you can get it replaced. Good luck!

Subaqua
08-27-2007, 18:05
I heard also a few stories about a crack on that same spot. Maybe Mares fixed it for the new ones.

ScubaToys Larry
08-27-2007, 18:20
Ok guys... this sounds like too many - so I've got a call in, and if you got it from us - I'm going to get you a replacement. I'll just tell them I'm deciding on whose product to carry when I go to Dema in a month... and magically, I bet they take care of it! :smiley2:

Actually, there a pretty good company so I bet I can get it done with no threats!

Cichlid
08-27-2007, 19:10
Thanks everyone for posting your problems, because of you guys and Larry's awesomeness mine is getting replaced too!

Travelnsj
08-27-2007, 19:56
I have a Mares X-vision for about 3 years never a problem....but in my travels I have seen 2 people with cracks in the side.

scubasavvy
08-27-2007, 20:22
Thanks everyone for posting your problems, because of you guys and Larry's awesomeness mine is getting replaced too!

And Larry saves the day yet again...these guys are amazing... :worship:

NitroWill
08-27-2007, 20:24
Arg....I got my mask when I used to live in Houston and now here I am 1000 miles away a couple months later with a broke mask :(

Guess its off to the trashcan for my xvision and time to give my $$ to a company who doesnt have problems like this they dont want to address...

TravisD
08-28-2007, 11:34
Larry, Awesome! Mine did indeed come from you all, about this time last year. I'm going to order a backup anyway (and some other goodies too...). Does it make sense to do things "all at once" (replacement + new), or keep it separate?

Thanks!

Aussie
09-02-2007, 02:01
I seen several Mares X-vision mask have cracked frames over here. Sent my own back to the distributor for replacement with no worries. I prefer the Tusa-m14 or the copies of that model as it fits my big head. I have the Cressi-Sub Big eyes also as a spare which is like the X-vision.

Another reason why I carry a spare, especially on dive trips.

Aussie

Osprey
09-04-2007, 11:44
Good thing I read this before ordering one. Larry, I am interested in seeing what they say. Please let us know what they tell you!

NitroWill
09-04-2007, 11:48
Good thing I read this before ordering one. Larry, I am interested in seeing what they say. Please let us know what they tell you!

Yes, please do Larry - if they don't fess up and fix this they can be sure ill be looking for another mask manufacturer

RonFrank
09-04-2007, 13:19
I've been diving the XVision for close to two years, over 100 dives. It's now my backup, but I have no issues, and I carry it in a soft case.

Seem like the majority that are having issues have replaced the lenses.

CompuDude
09-04-2007, 14:17
Yikes, I'll have to go over mine tonight and look closely at the problem area. ST put in RX lenses for me, so presumably they did a good job, but better to double check just in case! Hopefully, if nothing is broken now, post-lens replacement, nothing will be wrong in the future?

NitroWill
09-04-2007, 14:22
I never had a lense put into mine - and it still cracked...pretty new still too...

TravisD
09-04-2007, 15:37
Seem like the majority that are having issues have replaced the lenses.

Original, non-Rx lenses in mine. As far as I know, they've never been removed.

Foo2
09-05-2007, 12:32
hmmmm....maybe I should check mine too...

DiverBob
09-05-2007, 13:20
After reading all the posts, I ran down to my equipment storage room and pulled out my three year old X-Vision mask... guess what I found!! This mask has not leaked on me and I still love the features but I better be looking for a back up. Lenses have never been tampered with. Also I keep this mask in a pelican box so it hasn't been banged around in travels.

Cracked frame by upper left eye tab
http://www.diverbob.com/photoalbum/images/mares/lefteye.gif

Cracked frame by left nose tab

http://www.diverbob.com/photoalbum/images/mares/leftnose.gif

Travelnsj
09-05-2007, 15:10
hmmmm....maybe I should check mine too...

Check it.....mine is 3 years old also....after Bobs post....went and grabbed mine out of the dive bag.....There was a couple of cracks.....good thing I checked.....headed to Wakotobi/Bali in 3 weeks!

TravisD
09-06-2007, 22:35
Larry, and word from Mares yet?

CompuDude
09-07-2007, 01:14
Checked mine. No cracks. The ST guys did a good job of installing my lenses!

It's still pretty new, though, so if it's a common failure point, I guess time will tell...

ScubaToys Larry
09-07-2007, 02:43
Larry, and word from Mares yet?

If you got one from us... we can just replace it for you. If you got it somewhere else... you should be able to send it to them - if they are an authorized dealer, they will be able to have it replaced.

TravisD
09-07-2007, 12:48
It's my lucky day then - it came from you guys, just about this time last year :)

ScubaToys Larry
09-07-2007, 13:48
It's my lucky day then - it came from you guys, just about this time last year :)

No... today isn't your lucky day... it was the day you decided to buy from us in the first place. :smiley36:

DiverBob
09-07-2007, 15:57

No... today isn't your lucky day... it was the day you decided to buy from us in the first place. :smiley36:

Good answer Larry!! :smiley20:

Osprey
09-09-2007, 14:30
Well.. I am in need of a mask for people with small faces AND prescription lenses.. is there anything comparable to mares?

CompuDude
09-10-2007, 14:07
Well.. I am in need of a mask for people with small faces AND prescription lenses.. is there anything comparable to mares?

Have you tried the X-Vision Mid? That's what I use.

Before that I used "universal" masks like the Tusa Liberator (or the Tilos clone) and those fit me well also.

A GOOD place like www.prescriptiondivemasks.com can put prescription lenses into nearly any mask, though, so if you have one you like that already fits you well, give them a call and they can use your existing mask. They have a method of bonding the prescription to the glass in such a way that it looks like it was there when you bought it.

Osprey
09-10-2007, 14:33
I haven't tried that one yet, I may as long as it'll fit my small frame :) Thanks for the link too, we'll see how it all goes!

Foo2
09-10-2007, 14:50
If you have a very small face, I'd stay away from the X-Vision. That is the one I had, & had a terrible time with it leaking. I also have deep contures in my face by my nose. So when I had my reg in my mouth, water would just flood in there. grrrr. The bottom of the skirt is not very flexible if you ask me. I just bought this one (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=TusaTM7500Q) from ST this weekend and would recomend it to anyone that has a smaller face. It's very flexible and morphs to my lines. And like you stated, there are corrective lenses available for it. Good Luck!

CompuDude
09-10-2007, 14:50
I haven't tried that one yet, I may as long as it'll fit my small frame :) Thanks for the link too, we'll see how it all goes!

Any time. :) I also had a good fit with the Cressi Big Eyes mask, but couldn't find the prefab lenses for one and I wanted to save a few bucks on custom prescription this time. (Also, ST didn't have them, but they do carry the Mares!)

Osprey
09-10-2007, 19:37
If you have a very small face, I'd stay away from the X-Vision. That is the one I had, & had a terrible time with it leaking. I also have deep contures in my face by my nose. So when I had my reg in my mouth, water would just flood in there. grrrr. The bottom of the skirt is not very flexible if you ask me. I just bought this one (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=TusaTM7500Q) from ST this weekend and would recomend it to anyone that has a smaller face. It's very flexible and morphs to my lines. And like you stated, there are corrective lenses available for it. Good Luck!

AWESOME! Thank you so much! I have deep contours as well (let's blame it on laughing!) so that would be great.

Travelnsj
09-17-2007, 00:07
Got lucky today....took mine back to the Sports Chalet and told them it was leaking.....they exchanged it.....did not even ask when I bought it!...all set for Wakatobi!....hope the new ones has better plastic!

DiverBob
09-17-2007, 09:26
Got lucky today....took mine back to the Sports Chalet and told them it was leaking.....they exchanged it.....did not even ask when I bought it!...all set for Wakatobi!....hope the new ones has better plastic!

I'm giving the Liquid Skin a try. It fits great and sure feels nice on the face.... I'll let you know how it does at 90' when I get back from the USVI! :)

Charlotte Smith
09-17-2007, 09:47

I'm giving the Liquid Skin a try. It fits great and sure feels nice on the face.... I'll let you know how it does at 90' when I get back from the USVI! :)
Do tell! That is my next choice and my pan -view is leaking already after 2 years of use(imagine that) I don't mind clearing it but I have better things to do. There are just so many out there to choose from.

TravisD
12-04-2007, 14:41
Woo hoo! Got the replacement today, along with the second mask I bought to have as a backup. Thanks guys!