PDA

View Full Version : Drinking (water) While Diving

BobbyWombat
08-27-2007, 13:50
So the dry air from the tank really dries out my mouth. I typically have to swallow to get my ears to equalize, but the dry mouth syndrome makes this difficult after a while.

I know it is possible to take a camel-back water pack with you diving. Anything special about drinking underwater that I should know?

NitroWill
08-27-2007, 13:54
Dont forget to breath between drinks! Also, make sure you stay at the same depth and dont float/sink while drinking..

I take Capri Suns down with me pretty much everydive..its a great treat :)

greyzen
08-27-2007, 14:10
Dont forget to breath between drinks! Also, make sure you stay at the same depth and dont float/sink while drinking..

Woo Capri Suns!

Might I recommend the orange flavored one... it tastes good :)

Flatliner
08-27-2007, 14:27
How do you keep the sea water/lake water out of the capri sun or do you drink it in one drink?

greyzen
08-27-2007, 14:39
How do you keep the sea water/lake water out of the capri sun or do you drink it in one drink?

Since they are all vacuum sealed there isn't any air for water to get in.

Just stick the straw in, squeeze a little to get the juice flowing and put it in your mouth.
Or just put the straw in your mouth, using exhalation to keep water out of the straw and pierce the juicebag.
they only have a few swallows in 'em anyhow... practice in the pool without a tank or anything...

NitroWill
08-27-2007, 14:39
I usually drink it in one drink..usually carry one per dive (unless its a longer dive) and its just fine..Water really wouldnt go into the capri sun after you opened it anyways..but Id just assume finish it and enjoy the rest of my dive

MEL-DC Diver
08-27-2007, 14:56
I think Baby Wombat is really trying to come up with some innovative ideas. I keep seeing questions and ideas from him everywhere. Keep at it, BW. One of 'em will eventually stick and you'll make a mint. Just ask Larry.

chinacat46
08-27-2007, 15:31
I've never tried it but I have a friend who uses a camel back and swears by it.

Ajuva
08-27-2007, 15:47
Started using a camel back this year and it makes a big difference.

Wish I had know about this earlier.

RikRaeder
08-28-2007, 08:16
My girlfriend's been using a camel toe lately, but I'm hoping she'll drop the extra weight soon.

TAH 73
08-28-2007, 08:32
If this works well I came across a Camelback that would work awesome for diving, they make an insert for backpacks that have no shoulder straps etc, but do have a couple of pair of D-Rings down each side of the bladder that could attack in along side of the tank very easily I believe. They also come with a slightly longer hose that could allow easier routing.

BobbyWombat
08-28-2007, 10:24
Deep Sea Supply has a waterpack that bolts in between the tanks on a doubles rig. Pretty neat.
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=55

I like the idea about taking a capri-sun along with. Thanks NitroWill. I might have to give that a shot in the pool and see how it goes. Orange, of course.

Now that I think about it, there are those little energy goo packs for runners, just enough for one mouthfull. I might try using one of those too. I'm not really looking for hydration, just to get rid of dry mouth.

Other ideas, thoughts??

BobbyWombat
08-28-2007, 10:26
I think Baby Wombat is really trying to come up with some innovative ideas. I keep seeing questions and ideas from him everywhere. Keep at it, BW. One of 'em will eventually stick and you'll make a mint. Just ask Larry.

:icon_cheesygrin:

Edit: "Baby Wombat" would be my 5 week old daughter :smiley36:. She is my diving idol:....9 months underwater. I'm truly inspired.

-bw

Charlotte Smith
08-28-2007, 10:31
The capri-sun Idea is awesome........I have just the place to tuck one in my bc so I am off to the dollar store again! Thanks for sharing!

TAH 73
08-28-2007, 11:12
Now that I think about it, there are those little energy goo packs for runners, just enough for one mouthful. I might try using one of those too. I'm not really looking for hydration, just to get rid of dry mouth.

Other ideas, thoughts??

Nope don't do that. Gel packs are an energy "boost" designed for high output/long duration activities and they also are designed to be taken with a bunch of water. They also have certain side-effects on people. Nothing like spending your SI sitting on the head.

Also some of them are quite caffeinated that you need to be aware of. I was mtn biking a while back planned for a quick ride, and ended up on a multi hour ride with friends. Ran out of energy, took a gel from a buddy, and turns out it was caffeinated strawberry and spent the next couple of hour shaking.

greyzen
08-28-2007, 11:19
I like the idea about taking a capri-sun along with. Thanks NitroWill. I might have to give that a shot in the pool and see how it goes. Orange, of course.

Good man...er...women... er... Wombat.

Stay away from the goo, those things aren't made for diver's...
You also might want to look at water bearing fruit... if you are getting way dry mouth (like unstandably) you might be bordering a dehydration level or somesuch? Might I recommend Mango to go with the loverly orange drink :)

chinacat46
08-28-2007, 11:23
Sucking on a hard candy helps till its gone.

BobbyWombat
08-28-2007, 12:44

While diving??? Uh......you first. I'd be afraid of sucking it down my windpipe. No redundancy there.

Good input on the goo. Goo bad.
Orange and Mango Capri-Sun good. Got it.

Think PADI will come up with a capri-sun drinking specialty course?

grasshopper
08-28-2007, 12:54
An alternative here is they do have fittings that go just after your first stage that put some moisture back in the air. They work I have dove with them.
I am soo going to have to try the capri sun. Think that will be as much fun as cheese whiz underwater.

ScaredSilly
08-28-2007, 23:24
There is also a little bladder that sits on your 1st stage hose and has a line that runs into the reg mouth piece. You just give it a little squirt and water into the mouth. I saw a gal using this on my last trip.

BobbyWombat
08-29-2007, 10:57
There is also a little bladder that sits on your 1st stage hose and has a line that runs into the reg mouth piece. You just give it a little squirt and water into the mouth. I saw a gal using this on my last trip.

Anyone know the manufacturer?

Edit:

Found it!!! It's called the SCUDA (Self Contained Underwater Drinking Apparatus).
http://divesales.com/scuda/scuda.html

Yours for only $40.....yowza. How much is a capri-sun again?
I do like how they consistently refer to what you put in the pouch as a "beverage".....Hmmmmmm.....

greyzen
08-29-2007, 11:27

While diving??? Uh......you first. I'd be afraid of sucking it down my windpipe. No redundancy there.

No no, not mango capri-sun... just mango's! :)

Orange Capri-Sun while you are underwater.
Eat a mango prior to going underwater.

They are a very juicy fruit, peach's are good to but have an unfortunate side-effect of being a natural laxative.

scubasavvy
08-29-2007, 12:20
My girlfriend's been using a camel toe lately, but I'm hoping she'll drop the extra weight soon.:smilie39:

I'm planning on purchasing an Apollo Bio Filter...

BobbyWombat
08-29-2007, 12:33
They are a very juicy fruit, peach's are good to but have an unfortunate side-effect of being a natural laxative.

I just call that "jet assist". Pass me a mango.....

scubasavvy
08-29-2007, 13:13

I just call that "jet assist". Pass me a mango.....

Someone suggested watermelon on SB. That works too fast to be a diver's snack :poop:.

greyzen
08-29-2007, 13:43
mango is a miracle food...

it tastes awesome, it is a solid food so it retains a lot of its water...
you can grill it if you want...but more importantly it's huge!

ScubaJenn81
08-29-2007, 14:12
My girlfriend's been using a camel toe lately, but I'm hoping she'll drop the extra weight soon.

Be careful, if she knows you said this, you may not be diving for quite a while....:smiley36:

BobbyWombat
08-30-2007, 12:57
I'm planning on purchasing an Apollo Bio Filter...

yeah, I thought about that, and it seems like a pretty good idea. It is just a bit $$$$$.

Others have argued that it is another point of failure in your air delivery system, but Apollo seems to make some quality stuff.

scubasamurai
08-30-2007, 13:03
well since i am experinced with cotton mouth i can usually handle a bad case of reg mouth. diving in crystal clear springs here you can rise your mouth with no problem, wouldn't do it in another country or certain parts of the us.
capri suns in the water, neat little party trick, take a picture next time

Xspect
08-30-2007, 18:30
I recently took some gel packs and wound up cramping very bad

Now that I think about it, there are those little energy goo packs for runners, just enough for one mouthful. I might try using one of those too. I'm not really looking for hydration, just to get rid of dry mouth.

Other ideas, thoughts??

Nope don't do that. Gel packs are an energy "boost" designed for high output/long duration activities and they also are designed to be taken with a bunch of water. They also have certain side-effects on people. Nothing like spending your SI sitting on the head.

Also some of them are quite caffeinated that you need to be aware of. I was mtn biking a while back planned for a quick ride, and ended up on a multi hour ride with friends. Ran out of energy, took a gel from a buddy, and turns out it was caffeinated strawberry and spent the next couple of hour shaking.

CompuDude
08-30-2007, 19:13

Hard candies are used quite commonly, actually. I believe someone even recommended sucking a small pebble will do the trick.

Capri Sun is the most common solution, however, short of a camel bak or the DSS device.

TommyB
08-30-2007, 21:28
NitroWill just taught me how to do the Capri-Suns at Denton lake today.
Must say, it was very refreshing about 38 min into a 62 min dive.

Was really kinda of freaky the first time, but now I will be taking those capri suns on all dive trips.

Divegirl
08-30-2007, 22:20
I can't imagine drinking something underwater. But, it defiantely would be awesome, tried chewing gum last time, Didn't last very long with that one. HA HA, But really what is a camel back? I haven't heard of one or seen one on dives???

Guess i will search that one on scuba toys and see what I find?

bolantej
08-30-2007, 23:08
But really what is a camel back? I haven't heard of one or seen one on dives???

It's the name brand for a bag with a hose connected to it with a fancy mouthpiece that you bite down on to drink from it. I don't think many people use them. At least not in my area. Capri Sun is where it's at.

BobbyWombat
08-31-2007, 09:39
I can't imagine drinking something underwater. But, it defiantely would be awesome, tried chewing gum last time, Didn't last very long with that one. HA HA, But really what is a camel back? I haven't heard of one or seen one on dives???

Guess i will search that one on scuba toys and see what I find?

I don't know if ST carries them or not. They are available all over at any sporting goods store, or Target, or similar.

----------

http://www.camelbak.com/

vs.

http://www.kraftfoods.com/caprisun/

BobbyWombat
08-31-2007, 15:58
There is also this stuff that I have found:

http://www.orajel.com/products/adult/dry_mouth/gel.htm

The wife used this when our daughter was born. Her friend recommended it due to all the panting and whatnot that tends to dry out your mouth.

I might give this stuff a shot if I can find it and report back. I'll see how it fares against capri-sun.

-bw

chewyjr15
08-31-2007, 18:00
i have a camel back im gonna try it in the pool and tell you all how it worked

scubasamurai
08-31-2007, 18:45
curious to see if it does work, i personal think that if you need a drink that bad during a recreational dive you have a bad case of cotton mouth!!

Divegirl
08-31-2007, 23:56
So, exactly how do i drink the capri sun, I am really interested in the idea of having something to give mosture to my mouth????
HELP, sorry i dont get it

CompuDude
09-01-2007, 17:43
curious to see if it does work, i personal think that if you need a drink that bad during a recreational dive you have a bad case of cotton mouth!!

Some people have a real problem with it. In general, though, it's not an issue for recreational dives and divers. Much like a p-valve, the real utility of the camel bak or capri suns only comes into play on long technical dives.

NitroWill
09-01-2007, 17:56
So, exactly how do i drink the capri sun, I am really interested in the idea of having something to give mosture to my mouth????
HELP, sorry i dont get it

Buy some capri suns..its helpful if you remove the straw WRAPPER (not the straw) so you dont have to worry about losing it underwater. Take it down in one of your BC pockets..

When underwater you bust it out, and open it just like you would as usual, just dont squeeze it, of course!

Two main things to consider:

Remember, when your reg is out of your mouth and you are drinking - you cant breath :smiley36:
Make sure you're bouyancy is under control and you arent floating up/down while you drink!Other then that its pretty simple..:smiley20:

scubasamurai
09-01-2007, 18:02

Some people have a real problem with it. In general, though, it's not an issue for recreational dives and divers. Much like a p-valve, the real utility of the camel bak or capri suns only comes into play on long technical dives.

i can see that especially people with the rebreathers as well. but still the thought of drinking under water, doesn't any of the saltwater get in there and mix with the drink. than you end up cramping i think

NitroWill
09-01-2007, 18:09

i can see that especially people with the rebreathers as well. but still the thought of drinking under water, doesn't any of the saltwater get in there and mix with the drink. than you end up cramping i think

no, not really..you take a last breath in with your regulator..close mouth push straw into mouth, the amount of water that would actually get in is very negligible and has never gave me or others any problems..

greyzen
09-01-2007, 19:03
The capri-sun straw is hard as heck to just let water float into anyhow...
it's less than you get in your mouth transferring regulators.

But yea, for clarification... don't open your mouth wide and chomp down on the straw... pierce the capri-sun and push the straw into your mouth between your closed (but blowing bubbles) lips.

optionally, put the straw in your mouth and then be all mosquito like and pierce the bag after the straws in your mouth.

Practice in the pool, you'll freak out the little kids when you surface drinking a juice :D

plot
09-01-2007, 19:32
Practice in the pool, you'll freak out the little kids when you surface drinking a juice :D

yea... to bad you'll also be drinking those little kids pee.

DivingsInMyBlood
09-01-2007, 19:55

:smilie39: too true

scubasamurai
09-01-2007, 20:14
what do you think corona's are made with???
you need to take a picture of you doing that and posting it. i think we will get a kick out of that

CrzyJay456
09-01-2007, 21:24

Was really kinda of freaky the first time, but now I will be taking those capri suns on all dive trips.

what about if it gets too hot? 35 mins in a 86 degree ocean... i taste the hot juice already.

NitroWill
09-01-2007, 22:13
Warm Capri Sun tastes better then no capri sun when you're diving..

frankc420
09-01-2007, 22:33
Gummy Bears!

plot
09-02-2007, 08:05

what about if it gets too hot? 35 mins in a 86 degree ocean... i taste the hot juice already.

there's nothing good in 86 degree oceans. you need to get to the colder parts to see the cool stuff. :smiley2:

BobbyWombat
09-02-2007, 13:59
Make sure you're bouyancy is under control and you arent floating up/down while you drink!

This seems to me to be a really important point. While you are drinking/swallowing you are sort of breaking the "never hold your breath" rule.

If your buoyancy is good, then it should be fine. I'm going to make sure I am sitting on bottom or have a good reference point before giving this a try.

I would think that a quick sip would be fine, but drinking a whole capri-sun would take some time. I would think you would want to try and remember to blow some bubbles out your nose between swallows to make sure you aren't inadvertantly holding your breath....just to be on the safe side.

Thoughts?? Am I being paranoid? :smiley_scuba:??

NitroWill
09-02-2007, 14:03
Make sure you're bouyancy is under control and you arent floating up/down while you drink!

Thoughts?? Am I being paranoid? :smiley_scuba:??

No, you're not..Ive seen some new divers drift 5+ feet up/down without even knowing it - not even factoring in a capri sun to draw even more attention away. If you arent sure of your bouyancy be holding onto an anchor line or take little sips at a time - alternating breathing with the reg. Wouldnt hurt to watch your SPG as you are drinking until you know you're staying in place

Centerius
09-02-2007, 14:41
When I dive springs, I just drink the water around me. :D

greyzen
09-02-2007, 14:48
but that is not capri sun orange...

Why are you doing it wrong?

BobbyWombat
09-03-2007, 10:27
When I dive springs, I just drink the water around me. :D

but that is not capri sun orange...

Not sure I'm down w/ just drinking the water I'm diving in....but if it is your thing, here is what you do:

take some powdered capri sun w/you (ORANGE....it MUST BE ORANGE....this is very important)....ok, take the powder and shake it out in the water, then drink away my friend.

Just watch out for Manatee pee.

Divegirl
09-04-2007, 23:43
That was a funny one, sounds ALOT easier than drinking the capri sun, I would get all nervous and confused, and yep float to the top. HA HA

DivingCRNA
09-08-2007, 23:10
Deep Sea Supply has a waterpack that bolts in between the tanks on a doubles rig. Pretty neat.
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=55

Now that I think about it, there are those little energy goo packs for runners, just enough for one mouthfull. I might try using one of those too. I'm not really looking for hydration, just to get rid of dry mouth.

Other ideas, thoughts??

Man, if I had a camelback I would have to wear diapers or get a pee valve!

Kidder
09-08-2007, 23:31
Wow I've learned something new capri sun. underwater who would have thought it.

BobbyWombat
09-14-2007, 12:43
Success!

I stuffed my camelback bladder in the pocket of my BC diving last weekend. Worked like a charm....real nice to be able to fight off the dry mouth feeling.

Just water this time. Next time I'll fill it with Capri-Sun. :smiley20:

greyzen
09-14-2007, 23:29
Success!
I stuffed my camelback bladder in the pocket of my BC diving last weekend. Worked like a charm....real nice to be able to fight off the dry mouth feeling.
Just water this time. Next time I'll fill it with Capri-Sun. :smiley20:

Meh, Camelback's are the EASY way of doing it :P

Glad it worked for ya :D:smiley32:

sudnit5
09-15-2007, 00:43
I take a little drink pouch, works great for me.

danielh03
09-15-2007, 01:59
hmmm cramping from the gell packs..... how do you flush your wetsuit if the cramping becomes.... EEWWW

diverdad
09-15-2007, 10:34
hmmm cramping from the gell packs..... how do you flush your wetsuit if the cramping becomes.... EEWWW

somethings should be left unsaid. But drinking underwater,humm better look out for scuba police:smilie39::smilie39:. I will have to find me a camelback and try it.

HedoDiver
10-15-2007, 00:31
I know what I am going to try on my next trip. 20 days and counting! :emot-woot:
I have lots of pockets on my BCD, I guess I will fill one with a Capri-Sun and give it a try!

kyfriedchipper
10-15-2007, 00:50
Going to go directly to grocery store on my next dive trip and buy a big box of Capri Suns

Scubablue2
10-15-2007, 02:24
Interesting! and good to know!

greyzen
10-15-2007, 08:39
Going to go directly to grocery store on my next dive trip and buy a big box of Capri Suns

make sure they are orange... :D

missnumnutz
10-16-2007, 23:36

ummm.. what are Capri Suns? Sounds interesting .. i don't think we have them down under:smiley21:

robjoubert
10-16-2007, 23:46

ummm.. what are Capri Suns? Sounds interesting .. i don't think we have them down under:smiley21:
Capri Sun is a kid's drink in a plastic / foil pouch - go here for visual cues!!

http://www.kraftfoods.com/caprisun/1_1_CS_Base.html

UCFKnightDiver
10-17-2007, 01:20
hmmm someone should incorporate a camel pak into a bcd h/o im gonna patent it lol jk but it would be a good idea!!!

BobbyWombat
10-17-2007, 15:48
hmmm someone should incorporate a camel pak into a bcd h/o im gonna patent it lol jk but it would be a good idea!!!

I'll do you one better. I'm just going to sew a bunch of Orange capri-suns together to form a vest. I'll drink when I'm thirsty, and blow air into the empty pouches when I need buoyancy.

brilliant. what could go wrong???

dludwig
10-17-2007, 16:01

somethings should be left unsaid. But drinking underwater,humm better look out for scuba police:smilie39::smilie39:. I will have to find me a camelback and try it.

you would probably be OK w/ the scuba police as long as the isn't a diver propulsion vehicle involved :smiley36:

Lone Frogman
10-17-2007, 16:09

The kids are not the only one's doing it in the pool.