PDA

View Full Version : Hydrothermal Vent Crabs: How to Cook?

thor
08-11-2009, 18:04
So I was watching Discovery and there was a show about the deep sea underwater vents that reach temperatures up to 700 deg.F, and how there are crabs that live around these vents. So my question is this (of course this thought came to me right before I fell asleep): How would one cook such a crab?

petronius
08-11-2009, 19:11
:rofl:

My guess is that the crabs don't actually live in the 700F water, they live on the margins where the water is mixed to a warm but survivable temperature, but still nutrient-rich...

Rileybri
08-11-2009, 19:45
So I was watching Discovery and there was a show about the deep sea underwater vents that reach temperatures up to 700 deg.F, and how there are crabs that live around these vents. So my question is this (of course this thought came to me right before I fell asleep): How would one cook such a crab?

Very carefully and wearing lots of Nomex!

fire diver
08-11-2009, 19:54
I bet the water is still damn hot. Interesting idea. How WOULD you cook a thermal vent crab. If you put it in boiling salt water would it just crawl around?

Recon
08-12-2009, 23:03
iirc, the do live IN the thermal vents... my vote would be for thermite mmmm nummy thermite flavored crab legs.

~Recon

Rileybri
08-12-2009, 23:08
This question is right up there with Steven Write's question "what would you add to powdered water to reconstitute it?"

mrmccoy
08-12-2009, 23:49
My guess would be not to cook them! Probly taste horrible!
I guess if you really wanted to cook them you could find a lava flow and give them a quick dunk......?

obrules15
08-13-2009, 06:38

That's an awesome question! I would just do it like ceviche and cook them with lemon and lime juice.

Flatliner
08-13-2009, 06:41
It would probably take one HE!! of a pressure cooker.

thor
08-13-2009, 11:19

That's an awesome question! I would just do it like ceviche and cook them with lemon and lime juice.

I like this one.

bigman241
08-15-2009, 22:46
At first i thought you where talking toss them into the vent cook them pull out your reg take a bite and then a breath a bite then a breath. Thats a hardcore diver. Just thing your under saltwater no need for seasoning. lol Dam now i am hungry

James
09-25-2009, 23:22
Shove a stick in it and put it in the freezer. Remove when frozen for a tasty crab-cicle.

inventor
09-26-2009, 00:01
The crabs are living in water above 250 F, pressure keeps them, and the water, from boiling. You'll notice in the videos, the 700 F water exiting the vents isn't boiling either.
Cooking? Fusion reactor, plain and simple.
Or just bring the crabs up to a lower pressure, they will still be at 250 plus, but in lower pressure they will boil internally.

To be served with drinks chilled by the newly discovered lunar ice.

bigman241
01-03-2010, 20:58
A small to medium controlled thermo nuclear bomb. You just need some potassium Iodine tablets to eat them