PDA

View Full Version : contacts/glasses while diving

CaughtSteelin
08-11-2009, 23:54
For the divers that wear contacts or glasses.

Is it possible to wear contacts while diving or do you just go "blind"? Just curious if the pressure would pop them out.

Also if this is in the wrong section please let me know.

rbraatz
08-12-2009, 00:04
Great question! Don't go blind, unless you're night diving without a flashlight. ;)

I've been asking a similar question. My girlfriend wears contacts and was concerned about getting water in her eyes and having them wash away. The majority of feedback I received was to wear disposable contacts while diving, and she's going to try diving with her contacts in.

As for irritation, I assume if you have an air bubble between your eye and the contact there could be some irritation, but if you're able to equalize your mask then it shouldn't be a concern, but I'd like to hear from the experts on here as well.

Thanks!
Randy

CaughtSteelin
08-12-2009, 00:19
Dang. I guess I shoulda searched first. Noob mistake! Found all the info I was looking for.

snagel
08-12-2009, 05:09
I've been wearing contacts for 20 years and have never had a problem wearing them while diving. Even doing mask flooding drills, have not had any problems.

Snagel

Vercingetorix
08-12-2009, 06:24
You can also get corrective lenses for masks, which obviate the need for contacts.

I need glasses on land, but I drive without them; I just can't read. Therefore, I added a stick-on half-lens/magnifier in my right mask lens so that I can read my gauges and focus my camera

chinacat46
08-12-2009, 06:46
wore contacts for years with no problem then I got lasik two years ago. No more contacts for anything!

skdvr
08-12-2009, 07:12
I too have been wearing contacts with no problems.... I am really looking into Lasik right now. Man would it be nice to wake up and be able to see without fumbling around tryign to find my glasses....

I do get a bit nervous when I do mask drills that I am going to loose a contact. I keep my eyes closed when I do it... I keep an extra pair of contact with me though incase I loose one while on a dive, which has not happened yet by the way.

Phil

baywatch106
08-12-2009, 07:28
I wear contacts while diving too.

IrishSquid
08-12-2009, 20:04
I too have been wearing contacts with no problems.... I am really looking into Lasik right now. Man would it be nice to wake up and be able to see without fumbling around tryign to find my glasses....

I do get a bit nervous when I do mask drills that I am going to loose a contact. I keep my eyes closed when I do it... I keep an extra pair of contact with me though incase I loose one while on a dive, which has not happened yet by the way.

Phil

I dive with Daily disposables. I carry a spare set as they are really cheap @ Walmart. I wear them just for reading. I would not have to call a dive because I lost one or two during a dive, which has happened. I got kicked right in the face by someone and it just popped out. I could see it stuck to the inside of my mask. I just re-installed it during my SI. No biggie!

thesmoothdome
08-12-2009, 22:32
wore contacts for years with no problem then I got lasik two years ago. No more contacts for anything!

Wore contacts for 12 years and never had an issue diving. I've even caught myself opening my eyes without a mask on and never had one float away. I had Lasik last week though, so contacts are a thing of the past. Can't dive for another 3 weeks, but that's ok, I can see without my contacts :smiley20:.

Diver Kat
08-13-2009, 00:14
Been wearing contacts for 34 years, almost 7 years & 300+ dives. Never a problem, and have never lost one yet. I'm really blind, so it's nice to take off my mask and not have to hunt for glasses. Hubby uses a prescription mask, but his eyesight isn't near as bad as mine.

scubarobin
08-13-2009, 15:26

that's what my husband did. :smiley20:

Scuba Pete
08-13-2009, 16:25
I wear glasses as I tried the contact thing and hated them. I go blind when diving. My prescription is very minimal. I can see up close so not the big a deal to not wear anything or use a prescription mask. Plus where we dive we are lucky to see 10'. Unless i am in a cave, then you cant really tell what is that far anyway.