PDA

View Full Version : We are going to the Great Barrier Reef.

Bullswan
08-27-2007, 14:56
My niece is getting married next Sept. (2008) and we promised years ago we would come back for her wedding. That was all before my 11 year old son and I took up Scuba and now we are really looking forward to it.

ANYONE been there and done that from the US? Anyone have specific recommendations of places to go and see on the GBR?

I was wondering about bringing our own Regs but I wondered if the Dive Shops there used Din's or K valves more ?

Any information would be helpful.
Thanks
Greg

chinacat46
08-27-2007, 15:24
They pretty much all use K valves although you could probably find a DIN I didn't see one the last time I was there. I was there in 2002 and did 5 3-4 day liveaboards. Started in Bundaberg and worked my way up to Cairns. The one area I really enjoyed was the Coral Sea. It's a bit further out then the GBR but well worth the trouble. I'm heading back there at the end of September to dive the Yongala Wreck out of Townsville and then will do a 7 day liveaboard on the Spirit of Freedom up to the ribbon reefs then out to the coral sea. Last time at the coral sea I dove Holmes Reef and this time will be Osprey Reef. After Cairns I'm headed to PNG for another 3 weeks of diving before heading to NZ to visit some friends in Nelson. Will post updates along the way and let you know for sure about the K valves.

Illini_Fan
08-27-2007, 16:49
I did the Taka 4day trip to the Coral Sea. I posted a trip report in this thread http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=84

It is more of a review of Taka's service and assumes you already decided on the Coral Sea route. I think you will end up on a trip that takes you out to the Coral Sea -- great diving.

FyVe
08-27-2007, 17:11
you dont have an empty bag thats about 6 feet tall (maybe bigger for some head room) that you can take me in do you?