PDA

View Full Version : is this a good price o n a cozumel trip

bigman241
08-13-2009, 00:08
The shop i plan on doing my cert with is doing a cozumel trip in nov.
The cost is: Diver: $959 and Non Diver: $659 (airfare not included).
All-Inclusive Package:

5 days, 2 tank boat dives
4 single-tank afternoon boat dives
Unlimited shore dives
Dive gear lockers
Drift Dives
Tanks and weights
All meals and beverages, including Wine served with dinner
All taxes and gratuities are included

snagel
08-13-2009, 05:02
Do you know where this is at (what hotel/resort)? Do you know what dive operator?

Snagel

Flatliner
08-13-2009, 05:17
Big,

If you bargian shop you can almost always beat what ANY dive shop can do. HOWEVER, that being said, it seems fair AND on a trip like that, you get to meet, dive with, and get to know, other local divers so the price may be worth it. If I were in your situation, (ie, new and needing buddys to help me with my new healthy lifestyle choices) I wouldn't hesitate to pay a little more for a trip than I could get it for on my own.

ReefHound
08-13-2009, 09:33
Sounds like Hotel Cozumel and Dive Paradise (http://www.diveparadise.com/packages.htm). If so, the exact same package is posted on their website for $853 diver and $448 non-diver.

See about the cost to upgrade to the 3-tank early AM trips. You'll be on a faster boat, have less loading and unloading, and be done with three dives by noon leaving the afternoon for relaxing.

rfortune
08-13-2009, 09:35
I agree with Flatliner.

To give you a little info, I priced an all-inclusive 7 night dive package at Hotel Cozumel WITH AIR, out of St. Louis for around $1200 pp (double). Since flights are right around $340 for the days I selected, it looks you would pay about $100 extra to go through your LDS.

If you can room triple instead of double, then the price drops dramatically - to about $950 pp (triple) all-in with air.

ParrotheadDiver
08-13-2009, 09:51
the op did say all meals, beverages, taxes, gratuities included...so probably a good deal...:smiley20:

mwhities
08-13-2009, 10:51
Sounds like Hotel Cozumel and Dive Paradise (http://www.diveparadise.com/packages.htm). If so, the exact same package is posted on their website for $853 diver and $448 non-diver.

See about the cost to upgrade to the 3-tank early AM trips. You'll be on a faster boat, have less loading and unloading, and be done with three dives by noon leaving the afternoon for relaxing.

My family and I did the exact same trip at the OP in October last year and we paid 1600.00 for myself (diver) and my wife and 1.5 year old son (free flight and room for him.) That was all inclusive and INCLUDED air. Three tank dives for 5 days.

Go figure.

The boats and the DMers were awesome. Great rides and great sites; below the water. (No unlimited shore dives though - that was 6.00 US per tank.)

Michael

bigman241
08-13-2009, 11:18
thanks guys. Flatliner is right it would be good to be able to dive with other local divers. Dive paradise has a good 7 day trip though 15 dives all included 918 for triple occp. and ony 513 for non divers so thats. 2349 for the three of us since mom wont dive.

rfortune
08-13-2009, 11:22
If you are going triple occupancy, you can get about that same pricing INCLUDING AIR via bookit.com. See my post above.

ReefHound
08-13-2009, 11:23
The unlimited shore dives is a "feature" that sounds attractive on paper but is unlikely to be used beyond an arrival check out dive (all their packages include this anyway) and maybe a shore night dive along the way.

The AI's always say "gratuities included" but the savvy traveler knows you still gotta tip to get top service.

There are good deals and then there are great deals but for what you get there are not too many "bad" deals at this resort. It's not a 5 star but it's adequate and offers good value. I think the OP could beat his shop price by about $100 but I'll leave it up to him to decide if the added services of his shop (if any) is worth the $100.

ReefHound
08-13-2009, 11:32
thanks guys. Flatliner is right it would be good to be able to dive with other local divers. Dive paradise has a good 7 day trip though 15 dives all included 918 for triple occp. and ony 513 for non divers so thats. 2349 for the three of us since mom wont dive.

You could always book the same dates yourself and then you'll be diving with your shop anyway. But first I'd ask your shop what are the benefits of a shop trip with them. They might offer a pre-trip party. Or maybe a free specialty on the trip (there's your $100). Or someone to arrange the airport transfers or fight with the hotel or dive op over any issues that arise.

bigman241
08-13-2009, 14:15
not sure if it is or not where see come cert time. I found on dive paradise that they have a 7 night a massive 15 dives. For 918 Plus only 500 for the non diver. Leaning towards that. I like the idea of going there not to costly and well worth the diving i think
The unlimited shore dives is a "feature" that sounds attractive on paper but is unlikely to be used beyond an arrival check out dive (all their packages include this anyway) and maybe a shore night dive along the way.

The AI's always say "gratuities included" but the savvy traveler knows you still gotta tip to get top service.

There are good deals and then there are great deals but for what you get there are not too many "bad" deals at this resort. It's not a 5 star but it's adequate and offers good value. I think the OP could beat his shop price by about $100 but I'll leave it up to him to decide if the added services of his shop (if any) is worth the $100.

johnyringo
08-13-2009, 19:18
Hotel Coz/Dive Paradise is a pretty good operation but like a previous poster said don't expect a 5 star. Had a great time with them a couple years back.

SEMO Scuba
08-13-2009, 21:30
We went in July and stayed at Hotel Cozumel. Cost for all inclusive for 7 days was about $700 per person including air fare. I booked 5 day, 15 dive package with Dive Paradise for about $400. We flew out of St Louis through Atlanta. Due to swine flu scare cruise ships were just beginning to return to Coz at that time. Business was extremely slow everywhere. We were well satisfied with Hotel Cozumel, and Dive Paradise did a fine job. I would use both again, and might go again in December.

bigman241
08-13-2009, 23:37
So do the package dive paradise and hotel cozumel offer not include both the room and dives. I know gear is extra not a proplem i will have my own.
We went in July and stayed at Hotel Cozumel. Cost for all inclusive for 7 days was about $700 per person including air fare. I booked 5 day, 15 dive package with Dive Paradise for about $400. We flew out of St Louis through Atlanta. Due to swine flu scare cruise ships were just beginning to return to Coz at that time. Business was extremely slow everywhere. We were well satisfied with Hotel Cozumel, and Dive Paradise did a fine job. I would use both again, and might go again in December.

ParrotheadDiver
08-14-2009, 06:45
So do the package dive paradise and hotel cozumel offer not include both the room and dives. I know gear is extra not a proplem i will have my own.

sounds like SEMO booked his air and hotel as a pkg and then booked separate with DP...sometimes you can get a good deal on a charter flight like funjet Specials - Funjet Vacations - Special Vacation Travel Package Deal (http://www.funjet.com/specials/wow-deals.asp?DCMP=PPC-Google_CP-Brand_AD-Brand-Funjet-Exact) or Apple Mexico Vacation Packages - Apple Vacations - Vacations for Families, Weddings, Luxury, Groups, Golf, Honeymoons,Spa and more (http://www.applevacations.com/region.do?command=showRegion&regionCode=MEX) that you can get hotel/airfare/transfers at a low rate and book diving separate....the other way is probably how you did it booked your hotel and diving as a pkg and airfare separate...I have done it both ways....depending on which way is cheaper at the time....

SEMO Scuba
08-16-2009, 21:50
Parrothead is correct. We booked the airfare/room package through Travelocity and I booked the diving separate. You could dive with any dive operation you want. I was quite happy with Dive Paradise but I could have used others.

bigman241
08-16-2009, 22:53
I am wondering if that ant the best option. Where going to find out forsure which we do a cruise or trip. Mom want the cruise so it will properly be a cruise. She did see where there timeshare company has a condo place in caymen real cheap :smiley20:
Parrothead is correct. We booked the airfare/room package through Travelocity and I booked the diving separate. You could dive with any dive operation you want. I was quite happy with Dive Paradise but I could have used others.

cutter77
08-21-2009, 00:47
If you're really pinching pennies, and plan on trying out some of the great restaurants in town, make sure you don't get too far out of town as taxi costs will go up.