PDA

View Full Version : A story of customer service

Chief_Brody
08-27-2007, 15:12
I recently completed my classroom and pool segments of Open Water NAUI training with Scuba Toys. I arrived at the store early that morning with the intent of resolving three gear issues. Regulator, dive computer, and a defective gear bag zipper.

The Saturday I started class, Joe was the only person there at 8:40am (up front). Though they don't open till 9:00am, I peered through the front window, and there's Joe, waving me in.
Cool!

I showed him my dive computer (purchased the previous day), explained why I wanted to exchange it. After showing me a few models and explaining their features, he promptly hooked me up with my exchange.
Easy!

Next, though new, my freebie scuba bag (came w/personal gear) experienced a derailed zipper on the first pull. I’m thinking repair. Joe is thinking replacement! Not even flinching, he headed off to get a new one.
Simple!

Regulator... Again, he took time to listen to my questions and concerns. With zero sales pressure, Joe went on to explain bottom, top, and middle-of-the-line selections, explaining how the performance curves would affect divers differently, according to dive conditions and diver abilities. I finally decided on a good intermediate reg Joe recommended. After which, I was told it came with a free Octo(Smile)! Honestly, when I went in, I was totally lost as to what I needed in a regulator. When I went out, I knew exactly what I had bought, felt more than informed as to features and performance vs. other models, and was more than pleased with the edification and service I received.
Done!

By this time, it was 9:00am. Class was about to start. Joe said I should probably get to class, and I'd need to leave the Reg/Octo/Computer, as they'd all need assembly. Though I really wanted my own gear, I agreed and headed to class with the intent of borrowing gear for the pool sessions. Not a tragedy.

About 45 minutes later, here comes Joe into the classroom. He has transferred all my gear (flips / boots / gogs / snork / shorty / BC / Reg / Octo / Puter / plus) from the broke bag to a new one. He's got my new 1st and 2nd stages, Octo, inflator hose, and Dive Computer all clamped, professionally assembled, and coiled in a new Reg bag, ready to go. He's got my adjusted receipt with change clipped together w/a few lines of explanation of how the numbers worked out.
Pleasantly stunned!

And the service continues during pool session one.
We're learning how to assembly our gear. My reg goes free flow and won't stop. Instructor (Mike Dunst) promptly removes it, examines it, and walks it back to the counter for inspection. He hands me a loaner set, and I begin assembly again. Not more than 5 minutes later, here comes a ST technician (sorry, I didn't get his name). He explains to me and Mike that there was a piece of metal (left in at the factory) that was causing the free flow situation. They removed it, verified its obsolescence, tested the unit, and returned it promptly to me with the explanation you just read.
So, me and my new gear are off and learning!

These were my opening experiences with Scuba Toys. I haven't even completed Open Water yet, and I have all these great things to say about them. With many more classes planned for my scuba education, I've got this big grin on my face as I think of what's to come.

Good job Scuba Toys. And thank you Joe. I'm blown away!

Chris H. (scuba student)

Cheddarchick
08-27-2007, 15:23
Joe, Joe He's our man.....If he can't do it Larry can!!!!!
Yahoo for ST. I am willing to run the Wisconsin Office!!!!

greyzen
08-27-2007, 15:23
I recently completed my classroom and pool segments of Open Water NAUI training with Scuba Toys. I arrived at the store early that morning with the intent of resolving three gear issues. Regulator, dive computer, and a defective gear bag zipper.

The Saturday I started class, Joe was the only person there at 8:40am (up front). Though they don't open till 9:00am, I peered through the front window, and there's Joe, waving me in.
Cool!

I showed him my dive computer (purchased the previous day), explained why I wanted to exchange it. After showing me a few models and explaining their features, he promptly hooked me up with my exchange.
Easy!

Next, though new, my freebie scuba bag (came w/personal gear) experienced a derailed zipper on the first pull. Iím thinking repair. Joe is thinking replacement! Not even flinching, he headed off to get a new one.
Simple!

Regulator... Again, he took time to listen to my questions and concerns. With zero sales pressure, Joe went on to explain bottom, top, and middle-of-the-line selections, explaining how the performance curves would affect divers differently, according to dive conditions and diver abilities. I finally decided on a good intermediate reg Joe recommended. After which, I was told it came with a free Octo(Smile)! Honestly, when I went in, I was totally lost as to what I needed in a regulator. When I went out, I knew exactly what I had bought, felt more than informed as to features and performance vs. other models, and was more than pleased with the edification and service I received.
Done!

By this time, it was 9:00am. Class was about to start. Joe said I should probably get to class, and I'd need to leave the Reg/Octo/Computer, as they'd all need assembly. Though I really wanted my own gear, I agreed and headed to class with the intent of borrowing gear for the pool sessions. Not a tragedy.

About 45 minutes later, here comes Joe into the classroom. He has transferred all my gear (flips / boots / gogs / snork / shorty / BC / Reg / Octo / Puter / plus) from the broke bag to a new one. He's got my new 1st and 2nd stages, Octo, inflator hose, and Dive Computer all clamped, professionally assembled, and coiled in a new Reg bag, ready to go. He's got my adjusted receipt with change clipped together w/a few lines of explanation of how the numbers worked out.
Pleasantly stunned!

And the service continues during pool session one.
We're learning how to assembly our gear. My reg goes free flow and won't stop. Instructor (Mike Dunst) promptly removes it, examines it, and walks it back to the counter for inspection. He hands me a loaner set, and I begin assembly again. Not more than 5 minutes later, here comes a ST technician (sorry, I didn't get his name). He explains to me and Mike that there was a piece of metal (left in at the factory) that was causing the free flow situation. They removed it, verified its obsolescence, tested the unit, and returned it promptly to me with the explanation you just read.
So, me and my new gear are off and learning!

These were my opening experiences with Scuba Toys. I haven't even completed Open Water yet, and I have all these great things to say about them. With many more classes planned for my scuba education, I've got this big grin on my face as I think of what's to come.

Good job Scuba Toys. And thank you Joe. I'm blown away!

Chris H. (scuba student)
It amazes me what an almost complete different tale I've lived... I should have certed in Dallas :(

COngrats to you!! :smiley20::smiley20:

Wrayne
08-27-2007, 22:07
Wow, that is awesome! Makes me want to fly there and re-start my OW class if I could afford to.

somewhereinla
08-27-2007, 22:13
I trully wished Joe would move back to CA and open a S.T. store there.

ScubaToys Larry
08-28-2007, 06:08
I trully wished Joe would move back to CA and open a S.T. store there.

He's way to big and old to be hanging on the beach like the former surfer dude he was. He fits in much better amongst cattle in texas. Standing next to some of the cows.. he doesn't even appear too big. :smilie39:

TxScubaBear
08-28-2007, 06:39
Oh that's just plain cold, Larry.....BUT FUNNY!

greyzen
08-28-2007, 08:18
I'm telling you guys right now...

If Larry would allow it, or asked me too... I would happily open a Scubatoys Houston branch when I finished my move there.

Forget the product (which I'm obviously in love with) I agree with his business principals of treating the customer right. So many companies think that having better or competitive prices are all that matter. I only hope that if he does decide to branch out, it is near me, and I hope that you are enjoying the rewards of having the right freakin idea and attitude :D

creggur
08-28-2007, 08:56

If Larry would allow it, or asked me too... I would happily open a Scubatoys Houston branch when I finished my move there.

Forget the product (which I'm obviously in love with) I agree with his business principals of treating the customer right. So many companies think that having better or competitive prices are all that matter. I only hope that if he does decide to branch out, it is near me, and I hope that you are enjoying the rewards of having the right freakin idea and attitude :D

I've already tried to get him to open a Scubatoys East in Jacksonville, but he won't bite..:smiley36: Much for the same reasons you stated above. I just wish we had a shop here that was as active in promoting diving as ST. It seems here that they are glad to take your money for certifications and over-priced gear, but beyond that if you're not into spearfishing good luck getting on their charter boat...:smiley13:

Chief_Brody
08-28-2007, 09:44
" "It amazes me what an almost complete different tale I've lived... I should have certed in Dallas" "

I do indeed feel spoiled. As long as ST is in here, I'm sure I'll be living the high life of scuba-ed. Sorry your experience was less.

Chief_Brody
08-28-2007, 09:48

Yes, I also believe they're doing it right at ST. The prices are enough to get the customer in once for a look, but the customer service will make them life-long customers.

dludwig
09-06-2007, 12:04
A lot of places could learn from these guys. They know how important Customer Service is to a business.

I think they should continure to "branch out". Any thoughts of a Central Illinois S.T. store? :smiley20:

jpep
09-12-2007, 09:19
A New York branch is also needed! :smiley2:

ChefDvr
09-23-2007, 21:49
Jesus Christ! ( I mean Larry) Give Joe a small break. He just grew too fast! He will be leveling out soon! Really