PDA

View Full Version : Stillness Illness?

scubasavvy
08-27-2007, 16:23
Does anyone else get stillness illness? I had it so bad from being on a dive boat for 2 days, that I thought it would never end. I was dizzy, weak, I was rocking and I couldn't keep any food in me (went through me like s*%# through a goose) for a week to a week and a half. :smiley11:

I thought there might be something else that was wrong with me, but it eventually cleared up. Maybe it wasn't stillness illness, but something else that I was unaware of? The feeling of rocking though was nice when I went to sleep at night, lol. :smiley2:

deepdiver47
08-28-2007, 12:52
Try this, take a motion sickness pill the night before you go on a dive
try taking one CVS brand Motion Sickness II Less Drowsy pill. They are made from the same active ingredient as Bonine. Take another one the day you dive, you need to get the first one in your blood stream. One day thereafter.

I dive with these as I used to feed the fish when I got back on the surface after a dive (every dive). It will also minimize the affect that you have been experiencing. YMMV

grasshopper
08-28-2007, 13:05
OK I am a squid. I sail the seas for a living. You can talk to your doctor, they have shots that last a couple of days and are more effective and make you less drowsy than the pills.
When on the water look at the horizon, stay topside and if you have to go below try to stay below the chart/pilot house. Generally where ever the wheel is for the ship/boat that is the stablest part of boat, since it is usually the pivot point. The longer you are at sea the less the effects of sea sickness. If you get sick, sip water and eat crackers.
Whatever you do don't go near any exhausts. Don't drink the night before (trust me on this) or right before (really trust me on this). Eat a huge meal or chug any liquid. Or tie a bolt to a string and tie it off to the overhead and let it dangle.
Hope this helps.

Charlotte Smith
08-28-2007, 15:26
I have heard of patches you can wear for this.....I haven't tried them though.

scubasavvy
08-29-2007, 12:46
I've never been sea sick before which is weird, and I'm on a boat several times a year. I don't know what brought it on...

Capt Hook
08-29-2007, 15:01
Sounds more like an inner ear infection (I'm not a Dr. nor do I play one anywhere); lots of folks have take a while to get their land legs back after a couple of days at sea, but this seems extreme for that.

cummings66
08-29-2007, 17:52
I know what everybody's talking about, but can somebody explain the origin of stillness illness? I've never heard it called that before.

picxie
08-30-2007, 05:23
I've never heard it called that before either.

After the one liveaboard I've been on, I had sealegs for over a week - I was only on the boat for 3 days!! I wasn't physically ill though, just had that constant rocking feeling and for the first few days it was so bad that when I got up from my desk at work I had to touch/feel the wall in the corridor to keep me walking in a straight line. It was a very eiree feeling.

quarrydiver
09-01-2007, 15:25
I'd have to vote for the ear infection messing with your balance if it was that severe.

scubasamurai
09-01-2007, 15:29
they had cases of people getting of boats and their inner ears couldn't "reset" so they felt like they were constantly rocking and getting sick. you might want to chat with your MD or an ENT guy just to check your ears and make sure, silly as it may sound, that you do not have an ear infection or some blockage problem with your tubes.