PDA

View Full Version : Mt Storm Dive Reports

WV Diver
08-14-2009, 15:34
Only ones in the water yesterday, great vis and a great day. Temps are really going up. 91-92*F on the surface, 89-99*F at 25', about 88*F at 50' and 86*F at the 90' platform. Just wear your shorts and a tee shirt, it's warm. Vis 10'-12', no current. Life is good.

mselizann
08-14-2009, 19:07
holy cow!

GFD113
08-16-2009, 07:27
The East platform at Mt storm shifted a bit to the west lastnight. I think it may be time to just build a new one all together.

WV Diver
08-16-2009, 08:42
You know the east and north platforms have had issues for a while now. The east platform has lost the NE corner support and the north platform has lost a center support on the west side.

I looked at the 50' and 90' platforms recently and inspected them for damage. They both are in better shape than either of the shallow platforms but will have similar issues with the passage of time.

The 90' platform is built differently and looks as though it is in fair shape at the moment. Its framework appears to be made of steel.

The 50' platform has some boards loose but looks to have all its supports in place. It also looks to have had some repair work done on it at some time in the past. The work was structural and underneath the platform. This may have been done at time of placement to get it level and secure. Hard to tell. At any rate is appears to be solid at this time.

GFD113
08-16-2009, 08:46
BTW water temp was 90* with 10 - 15 viz.

WV Diver
08-16-2009, 08:51
Next time I am there I will take a slate and make some notes concerning structural damage.

GFD113
08-17-2009, 00:26
I got a couple of pics Sat night. as soon as theyre developed i'll get em to ya.

baywatch106
08-18-2009, 07:43
Do all the platforms have lines connecting them together?
I was on the 25 ft platform then followed the line to the 50 ft.

Necklinsberg
08-18-2009, 17:43

Yes.

There are lines from the entrance to both of the 25 ft platforms and from each of those to the 50 ft. From the 50 ft there is a rope to the 90.

Each of the 25 ft platforms also has a rope of to an attraction.

Necklinsberg
08-18-2009, 17:44
Next time I am there I will take a slate and make some notes concerning structural damage.

The computer platform needs major work.

The outboard support looks like it has been snapped and the whole platform has shifted outward. Most of the other supports are laying on their sides, it appeared that only the one was broken (caught by an anchor?)

GFD113
08-20-2009, 23:52

Yes.

There are lines from the entrance to both of the 25 ft platforms and from each of those to the 50 ft. From the 50 ft there is a rope to the 90.

Each of the 25 ft platforms also has a rope of to an attraction.

And if you stick your dive light in santa it lights up the platform nice :smiley20:

scubajane
08-22-2009, 19:51
:smiley4:we ran another line today from the 50 ft platform to the flowerpot west of the motorcycle. 215 ft of line.
we put 2 brackets on the west platform, to put a leg back on and straighten another leg. still needs brackets on the other legs. I've got the brackets and hope to put them on next weekend.
the east platform is a mess needs to be lifted and legs reattached. more details on the thread 'mount storm repairs.

emcbride81
08-23-2009, 19:11
u r the best Jane...even tho your name isn't Jane...

GFD113
08-24-2009, 16:29
:smiley4:we ran another line today from the 50 ft platform to the flowerpot west of the motorcycle. 215 ft of line.
we put 2 brackets on the west platform, to put a leg back on and straighten another leg. still needs brackets on the other legs. I've got the brackets and hope to put them on next weekend.
the east platform is a mess needs to be lifted and legs reattached. more details on the thread 'mount storm repairs.

Theres a flower pot??

scubajane
08-26-2009, 15:19
u r the best Jane...even tho your name isn't Jane...
Shhhh, im trying to be incongruent ...err invisible.....er incognito....er ...some days I'm just lame :smiley5:
Thanks just trying to help out a little section of the world

scubajane
08-26-2009, 15:19

Theres a flower pot??

YES!!! do ya want directions???

GFD113
08-26-2009, 22:14

Theres a flower pot??

YES!!! do ya want directions???

Im sure I'll find it tomorrow, were gonna go up for a bit:smiley20:

scubajane
08-27-2009, 18:01
look for the flamingos too

WV Diver
08-30-2009, 16:13
We found the flower pot today. Mike and Zee were getting out as we were getting ready to get in and there were three other people there. So five of us had the whole place to ourselves.

The guide line to the north platform was broken so we spliced it back together. 91*F on the surface and 88*F at 56'. Vis 6'-8'. Dove in my skin and Kokomo went in her shorts and tee shirt.

The repairs to the North platform look good and the East platform...........well it is usable.

Anyone know where the Indian Head went to? It use to be on the way to the 50' plsatform from the East platform in about 37'-40'. We looked hard for it today. It has been a long time since we have seen it around.

Spotted a Freshwater Jelly near the flower pot, in about 37' of water.

And on the way to the lake a momma bear and her three cubs crossed the road in front of us.

scubajane
08-30-2009, 19:45
We found the flower pot today.
The guide line to the north platform was broken so we spliced it back together. 91*F on the surface and 88*F at 56'. Vis 6'-8'. Dove in my skin and Kokomo went in her shorts and tee shirt.

The repairs to the North platform look good and the East platform...........well it is usable.

Anyone know where the Indian Head went to? It use to be on the way to the 50' plsatform from the East platform in about 37'-40'. We looked hard for it today. It has been a long time since we have seen it around.

Spotted a Freshwater Jelly near the flower pot, in about 37' of water.

I'm glad you found the flowerpot. it's been there for a while. I don't know who placed it.

Thanks for fixing that line I realized it was loose on our 2nd dive and did not have any way to fix it.

Thanks for noticing the repairs on the north platform. I had a dilly of a time trying to turn the dumb screwdriver...it kept turning me. I think that my hands absorbed most of mount storm and so i couldn't get a good grip on the screwdriver.

anyone diving there soon???? please take a phillips head screwdriver and tighten the screw on the middle post on the shore side of the north platform. it still sticks out about 1 inch.

Hubby was not able to dive on sat, so I rented a boy scout and put him to work. He is one of the kids we took to Florida Sea Base last year. good kid strong hands.

I havent seen the indian head is quite some time. It may be deep in the muck with GI Joe.

OK OK tell me about the jellyfish!!!! I have never seen them there how big are they what do they look like????? I want to see one!

emcbride81
08-31-2009, 20:29
Those jellies are HUGE! They come up from the bottom depths to eat the catfish, but sometimes eat whatever is in their path, including divers! Maybe that is where the indian head went! :)

I have only seen one or two, they were about the size of a quarter to fifty cent piece. Hard to see at Storm unless you run up on them. Even then they are easy to miss.

My buddy and I ended up diving a local private quarry Saturday, and we must have seen 10-20 of them.

WV Diver
09-01-2009, 06:15
NAS - Species FactSheet (http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactSheet.asp?speciesID=1068)

Here is a little of the biology of the Freshwater Jellyfish. Enjoy.

emcbride81
09-01-2009, 15:00
wow! a penny....that shows the magnification of water...or my poor vision! :)

WV Diver
09-01-2009, 17:00
wow! a penny....that shows the magnification of water...or my poor vision! :) I wasn't going to say anything. :smiley2:

navyhmc
09-01-2009, 17:45

But these are bad tempered MUTANT Freshwater Jelly fish...:smiley36:

scubajane
09-05-2009, 20:57

But these are bad tempered MUTANT Freshwater Jelly fish...:smiley36:

apparently they have broken our platform!!! dang jellies!!!!!!

navyhmc
09-05-2009, 22:13
Better than sharks with friking laser beams on their heads...think of the damage they would do. :smiley36:

I've been following the posts, how's the repair going.:smiley20:

scubajane
09-06-2009, 10:46
we've gotten brackets on most of the legs of the north platform. the other platform is beyond what I can do. all the legs are off and the platform has dropped about 3 ft. I think 5-6 DMs with lift bags are needed to get it back on it's legs and lots of brackets and screws and muscle. it's going to take alot of work. some have suggested a new platform....hmmmmm I dont have the cash or expertise for that one.