PDA

View Full Version : THE REASON? why do you do it?

FyVe
08-27-2007, 16:54
I was asked the other day......."why do you dive?" "is it worth the risk" and a bunch of other questions like that by a friend.
how would you guys respond to that?

NitroWill
08-27-2007, 16:58
Everything in life has a risk..
Just walking outside today is a risk..
The (little) risk is greatly outweighed by the amazing things you get to see and explore underwater - simple as that :)

dmdoss
08-27-2007, 17:06
To do something most people will never do.

PlatypusMan
08-27-2007, 17:23
To do something most people will never do.

To which I would add "And have more fun than most people ever will."

dmdoss
08-27-2007, 17:31
Oh yeah, and more places to hide bodies.

Vercingetorix
08-27-2007, 17:35
Chicks dig divers.

I've not had a chance to see a bunch of cool stuff yet. Only seen CSSP, Travis, and Athens.

So...I gotta answer...it's the chicks.

The real reason...to see the really cool stuff someday.

FyVe
08-27-2007, 18:05

remind me not to mess with you. :smiley11:

thesmoothdome
08-27-2007, 18:07
There's risk?

dmdoss
08-27-2007, 18:10
There's risk?

No kidding, nobody told me it was risky.

PlatypusMan
08-27-2007, 18:26

Shhhhhhhh. Remember the pact with Dormammu regarding sacrifices....

FyVe
08-27-2007, 18:45
There's risk?

there is always risk with anything you do. some riskier than others, and for sure, diving has risks.

Vegas
08-27-2007, 18:56
There's risk?

I can't remember exactly where, or exactly what statistics they were using, (I wish I could!) but I know that somewhere in "Dive Training" magazine they gave the instants of injury or death scuba diving as comparable to those of Bowling.

If I can find the article I'll quote it.

....anyway <shrug> it made my mother feel a little better about it. LOL!

FyVe
08-27-2007, 19:16
There's risk?

I can't remember exactly where, or exactly what statistics they were using, (I wish I could!) but I know that somewhere in "Dive Training" magazine they gave the instants of injury or death scuba diving as comparable to those of Bowling.

If I can find the article I'll quote it.

....anyway <shrug> it made my mother feel a little better about it. LOL!

who in their right mind trows heavy objects at wooden pins? that's just asking to loose an eye!

scubafreak
08-27-2007, 19:55
I find it the best stress relief in the world. I feel more at home under water than on dry land

wxboy911
08-27-2007, 20:10
Maybe a little danger adds to the fun-Yeah there are some risks but that makes it worth all the more.

Disneymom
08-27-2007, 20:47
Chicks dig divers. But....... what about when the chicks are divers? :smiley36:

What amazes me is the addiction factor - no joke. When I went under water in a pool and breathed, then swam around for a while, well it was just amazing and I was hooked in a major way. I just can't do it often enough! It's unbelievably peaceful under the water, and you get to see the cool stuff.

Risk? I am the anti-thrill seeker, and I prefer not to dwell on what could happen, but I think that good judgement and common sense are my best friends, besides a good buddy.

chewyjr15
08-27-2007, 20:58
your gonna die someday why not enjoy life?

Black-Gorrilla
08-27-2007, 21:10
i agree with that. live life to the fullest. do what makes you happy. (diving makes me happy) and do it often!
try to be safe, and enjoy the sights.

Liv7301
08-27-2007, 21:34
When I told my father that I was going to learn how to dive, the first thing that he said was that "that diving stuff was dangerous." I reminded him that he works with arcing electricity and scorching hot metals (he's a welder) and that my chances were much better since I wouldn't be diving every single day.

There is risk every where, doing anything. As long as you shoulder that risk responsibly, then I say Go. Be free. Live life.

PlatypusMan
08-27-2007, 21:42
But....... what about when the chicks are divers?

Then you are treated to that most wild of spectacles:

The Happy Male Diver Dance.

..But only if all involved are single.

scubasamurai
08-28-2007, 11:31
why dive, because the oceans are rising and most of my house will be underwater anyway, so i might as well get use to breathing bottled air!!!
another reason, very very quiet in the ocean or sink holes i dive in, time to reflect on WHY i am diving at 110ft in pitch black with cat fish in a sink hole in hudson, because it is there hahaha

willardj
08-28-2007, 13:00
For the Peace and Quiet.

Kingpatzer
08-28-2007, 13:02
Explain you're at greater risk of injury driving to the dive site than when diving on the site . . . ask him how many places he's driven to in the last month and if that's been worth the risk to him?

This is one area where we don't have Cousteauto thank. He pretty much convinced everyone alive that diving is difficult and dangerous and the oceans are filled with lethal deadly critters and to experience them up close requires someone as brave and adventerous as Jacques himself!

It was bs then and it's bs now, but it did help to make him a lot of money.

Black-Gorrilla
08-28-2007, 13:06
i think you guys are taking that risk question way to strong to heart. remember, most people are missinformed, or get all of their dive knoledge from jaws and old bond flix.
i think people just dont understand how safe it really is.
the death toll for diving (no counting stupid people trying to do 300 feet on a al80 or something dumb like that) is got to be a small number. including equiptment malfunction and neglegent use of equiptment.

thor
08-28-2007, 13:10
Chicks dig divers. But....... what about when the chicks are divers? :smiley36:

What amazes me is the addiction factor - no joke. When I went under water in a pool and breathed, then swam around for a while, well it was just amazing and I was hooked in a major way. I just can't do it often enough! It's unbelievably peaceful under the water, and you get to see the cool stuff.

Risk? I am the anti-thrill seeker, and I prefer not to dwell on what could happen, but I think that good judgement and common sense are my best friends, besides a good buddy.

That's exactly how I feel, except for the Anti-thrill seeker part. I absolutely love seeking thrills.

Also scuba diving was on my list of things I must do before I die.

greyzen
08-28-2007, 13:18
K, so I was under the impression that it was going to be exactly like Jaws and James bond...

If I ain't wrestling great white sharks, then I'm not going!

Vegas
08-28-2007, 13:38
. . . .

If I ain't wrestling great white sharks, then I'm not going!

I'll take his spot on the boat!!! :smiley2:
(oops! it just popped out!)

willardj
08-28-2007, 14:11
I was asked the other day......."why do you dive?" "is it worth the risk" and a bunch of other questions like that by a friend.
how would you guys respond to that?
No it not. stay at home. There be more fish and peaceful dive site's for the rest of us. If you can't think for yourself and not worry about what other think then you'll never make it though life. A lil hard but true.

paintsnow
08-29-2007, 18:17
diving is my antidrug
and it keeps me busy
and the tranquility of being underwater it just so...perfect

Charlotte Smith
08-29-2007, 18:23
I dive because I love the peace and quiet and the beauty of the things under water.......I am in awe every time I dive!