PDA

View Full Version : Another tank question

bigman241
08-15-2009, 14:42
I saw a hp 130 steel tank that was rated to 3442 psi. It says it has the (Standard "Yoke Style" Thermo PRO valve) WIll this tank setup allow me to use the yoke dvt delta 4.1 reg at 3442 psi. I want to go hp130 when i buy my tank. But i like the idea of the dvt on the delta 4.1 Kind of torn as to which way to go. I know the din is better. I know the dvt will keep me from getting water in the first stage. But i want both.:smiley13: . It says it has the (This Worthington HP Steel Tank comes with boot and convertable Din to Yoke Thermo Valve.) Is this what i need to run hp through the dvt yoke first stage on the delta 4

in_cavediver
08-15-2009, 21:14
The best way to look at it is this. If you plan to rent tanks always, get either yoke or din to match what you rent - usually yoke.

If you buy tanks and dive your tanks a lot, look at it like this. I can take a DIN reg and screw an adapter on to make it yoke in a matter of seconds. There is no adapter to make a yoke into a DIN first stage.

As for tanks - all of mine are DIN. I like the captured o-ring and the secure threaded connection. Since I am biuying them, I might as well get what is best. I do have some convertable valves mostly because the tanks came with them. (I have 8 inserts I've never used).

bigman241
08-15-2009, 21:22
I want to go hp 130 when i buy my tanks. Which will be in march or maybe one this sept not sure yet. I think i can do a few local dives having my own tank will be alot easyer then a 20 mile drive in the wrong direction. I am still unsure if i can go hp to 3442 with a yoke valve. But i will be traveling so a yoke would properly help there. Plus i want the sealed first stage for cold diving i am just at a total lost. I think i will call st tomorrow and see if i can get everything straight.
The best way to look at it is this. If you plan to rent tanks always, get either yoke or din to match what you rent - usually yoke.

If you buy tanks and dive your tanks a lot, look at it like this. I can take a DIN reg and screw an adapter on to make it yoke in a matter of seconds. There is no adapter to make a yoke into a DIN first stage.

As for tanks - all of mine are DIN. I like the captured o-ring and the secure threaded connection. Since I am biuying them, I might as well get what is best. I do have some convertable valves mostly because the tanks came with them. (I have 8 inserts I've never used).

Rileybri
08-15-2009, 21:27
Can you tell me/us why after never having actually been under you are convinced you want a HP130? Its not the tank most people decide they HAVE to have right out the door.

skdvr
08-15-2009, 21:27
Yes you can use a Yoke reg on a 3442psi tank. As long as it is a 200 bar tank valve that will take the adapter to make it into a Yoke valve, which from what you have said is what this tank has. That is what they come standard with. If a tank has a 300 bar valve on it, then you cannot put an adapter in it to make it Yoke, it can only be dove with a DIN reg. In the end I think that you will go DIN. I have. I still have 2 al80's that only have Yoke valves so when I use those I just screw an adapter onto my DIN regs and I am good to go...

Phil

bigman241
08-15-2009, 21:52
Well after speaking with several forum members and a few locals seems the 130s are the way to go. My plan to start with where two al either the normal or neatural boyuant. A few people made points i am a big guy and need all the neg weight i can. A few made points i am 6'5'' and they said the normal 80s would be to short. Issue three is i am a big guy get winded on short walks. So i am sure i will be a air hog. Why would you not recommend the 130 steel hp tanks for a new diver. If i am going to buy good tanks i would perfer to buy them once. Though i would have no proplem buying more then a few just figure i should go where i think i will go soon after my cert. I also thought about doubles alot of people over on scubaboard and a few here recommend that i not do that for along time and a few recommend i go with a 130 or so tank. from what i have read wont a steel hp 130 give me nearly as much air as 2 lp al 80s
Can you tell me/us why after never having actually been under you are convinced you want a HP130? Its not the tank most people decide they HAVE to have right out the door.

bigman241
08-15-2009, 21:54
THe only thing that keeps me from going din is i would perfer to get the dvt with the delta 4 or the sealed first stage with the zeagle i am still unsure if the zeagle is sealed with a din monday i am going to call zeagle to find out. So what your saying is if it says 200bar on the tank valve i am good to go.
Yes you can use a Yoke reg on a 3442psi tank. As long as it is a 200 bar tank valve that will take the adapter to make it into a Yoke valve, which from what you have said is what this tank has. That is what they come standard with. If a tank has a 300 bar valve on it, then you cannot put an adapter in it to make it Yoke, it can only be dove with a DIN reg. In the end I think that you will go DIN. I have. I still have 2 al80's that only have Yoke valves so when I use those I just screw an adapter onto my DIN regs and I am good to go...

Phil

bigman241
08-15-2009, 21:55
how hard is it to rent din tanks

fisheater
08-15-2009, 23:25
DVT is a marketing ploy, designed to appeal to inexperienced divers through fear. It's just a gadget. Don't make any purchasing decisions based upon it.

If you exercise a modicum of care, you're not going to dunk you're reg into a rinse tank without a cover. So, DVT would be a solution to a problem you're not going to have. DVT does nothing (or at least it's not supposed to) when your reg is in use.

bigman241
08-16-2009, 00:11
THat makes the choice of din fitting then. now i need to pick delta 4 or flathead. I am thinking flathead primary with a delta 4 backup heck the secondstage delta4.1 is only 20 bucks more then the octo i looked at. Plus if i end up likeing the delta 4 better i could just use it on the flathead firststage or buy the yoke firststage. Then have a din and yoke reg. DOes that make the less bit of sence :smiley20::smiley13:
DVT is a marketing ploy, designed to appeal to inexperienced divers through fear. It's just a gadget. Don't make any purchasing decisions based upon it.

If you exercise a modicum of care, you're not going to dunk you're reg into a rinse tank without a cover. So, DVT would be a solution to a problem you're not going to have. DVT does nothing (or at least it's not supposed to) when your reg is in use.

skdvr
08-16-2009, 06:46
THe only thing that keeps me from going din is i would perfer to get the dvt with the delta 4 or the sealed first stage with the zeagle i am still unsure if the zeagle is sealed with a din monday i am going to call zeagle to find out. So what your saying is if it says 200bar on the tank valve i am good to go.

Phil

Yes, if it is a 200 bar DIN valve you can put a plug in it to make it work with Yoke valves... That is the standard valve that comes with Worthington HP tanks.... Just so you know the HP130 is shorter than an AL80. Although I do not think that will be an issue with you. Like someone else pointed out do not worry about that DVT. As long as you rinse off your regs with it hooked up to a tank and the tank turned on there is nothing to worry about.

Phil

Rileybri
08-16-2009, 07:32
Well after speaking with several forum members and a few locals seems the 130s are the way to go. My plan to start with where two al either the normal or neatural boyuant. A few people made points i am a big guy and need all the neg weight i can. A few made points i am 6'5'' and they said the normal 80s would be to short. Issue three is i am a big guy get winded on short walks. So i am sure i will be a air hog. Why would you not recommend the 130 steel hp tanks for a new diver. If i am going to buy good tanks i would perfer to buy them once. Though i would have no proplem buying more then a few just figure i should go where i think i will go soon after my cert. I also thought about doubles alot of people over on scubaboard and a few here recommend that i not do that for along time and a few recommend i go with a 130 or so tank. from what i have read wont a steel hp 130 give me nearly as much air as 2 lp al 80s

I asked the question not because I or anyone else thinks you SHOULD or SHOULD NOT get an HP130 but more to know weather or not you know what you were wanting to get. Its a BIG tank and holds a lot of gas. From what you report as your current size, a bigger tank for buoyancy reasons alone makes sense. The one concern I would voice is that the HP130 will have enough gas in it to potentially get a you (or any diver for that matter) in to some real trouble if you are not paying attention to you down time. Lots of new and different task loading for that skill set. get comfortable with singles first then look at alternatives. Doubles well that will be WAY to much for you just starting off. If you are an air hog you will be much better served working on consuming less gas then you will be looking to bring more down with you.

Grin
08-16-2009, 08:05
Get the 130, you'll never regret it! I would get whatever reg you wish as a DIN reg and buy the yoke adapter to go with it. Eventually you will be a DIN everything person and only occassionally need to use your Yoke adapter. The Yoke adpaters are nice and reliable, and not bulky or anything.
For Zeagle: Go to the Zeagle website and see the specs, as most of their flatheads are sealed regs. But a few are for warm water that are unsealed. Unsealed allows just a hair eaiser breathing at depth is all, but are not a good choice for cold water. The Zeagles came with the Yoke adpter for awhile, a few years back. I got two of them without even asking. They just came with the DIN reg.

bigman241
08-16-2009, 09:49
True you make a good point more air might get a new diver in trouple. I plan on working my dive plan out real well. SOrry if i seemed to come rude alittle bite i did not mean to. you make good point i want the 130 for the extra gas the steel for the weight and the hp for more gas. Honestly starting out i do not think my down time will be a issue. But it might as i loss some weight and dive more. Less air means more down time. But i understand the issues. I plan on staying shallow on most my early dives. Though part of me wants to hit 100 and take a picture of my depth gauge. :smiley13:. My reason for looking at the 130 was i had a few people recommend it in place of doubles. As you say fix my air useage proplem and do not take more gas down.

I asked the question not because I or anyone else thinks you SHOULD or SHOULD NOT get an HP130 but more to know weather or not you know what you were wanting to get. Its a BIG tank and holds a lot of gas. From what you report as your current size, a bigger tank for buoyancy reasons alone makes sense. The one concern I would voice is that the HP130 will have enough gas in it to potentially get a you (or any diver for that matter) in to some real trouble if you are not paying attention to you down time. Lots of new and different task loading for that skill set. get comfortable with singles first then look at alternatives. Doubles well that will be WAY to much for you just starting off. If you are an air hog you will be much better served working on consuming less gas then you will be looking to bring more down with you.