PDA

View Full Version : My ear help my ears.

bigman241
08-15-2009, 21:45
I got a thing i think is going to be a issue when i start diving. I have a issue with ear infections from swimming or even getting to much water in them during a show. Last week i swimmed in the community pool for 4 days a few hours a day. I got a bad ear infection for about three days. Though i still swimmed it would hit when i jumped in the water fromt he pressure. So it worries me when i will be diving.
I use swim-ear which is just alcohol. Use it after gettig out of the water and once or twice a day till it clears and it is ok in a few days. I had one in june that took me to the er got into my inter ear and hurt like heck. Is there anything that will stop a ear infection before it starts that works. Also if i use the swimear stuff after every dive will it stop it fom happening.

snagel
08-16-2009, 07:20
A lot of divers use a mixture of 50% alcohol and 50% white vinager - some call it "ear beer". Put it in your ears after every dive and a good dose at the end of the day. The alcohol helps to dry the ear and clean and the vinager help to kill bacteria and balance the ph.

Once I started doing this, I never had another ear problem and yes, those ear infections are killers.

Snagel

Rileybri
08-16-2009, 07:42
+1 for ear beer I carry two droppers with me in my gear bag. so I can be using one while passing one around to others that may want and not have it. I use 50/50 mix as well.

Grin
08-16-2009, 07:55
1/2 alchohol , 1/2 vinegar, fill ear canal with this mix and lay on your side for 5 minutes. repeat other ear. This is what a DAN article stated about 4-5 years back. It worked for me! I quit using swabs to clean my ears as you are not supoosed to do that even if you are not a swimmer. Ear wax has re-established in my ears and I have quit the ear beer thing over a couple years ago and have had no problems since. Ear wax is a good thing. You probably have none and that's the root cause. Until you can figure out the ear wax issue, it's 5 minutes on each side, with the ear beer thing, after any swimming or diving. It works! It does not work if you wait for outer ear infection (swimmers ear) signs. It's preventative maintenance, not a fix once pain starts.
The bad news is, it is hard to re-establish ear wax while doushing your ear with alchohol regulalrly. Do not use swabs in your ears to remove ear wax, or anything else. Ask your doc if you have any wax in your ears next time your there. Probably not!

PACKRMAN
08-16-2009, 08:01
+2 for the ear beer

Check your lds, they may sell small containers pre-made. You can make your own but it goes a long way.

bigman241
08-16-2009, 10:09
Ya i did the swap thing alittle to much as a kid. GOt one hell of a infection had to leave a camping trip drive two hours to the er because my whole head hurt. I do not use swaps unless there all stoped up. I guess i need to lay off the swim ear and let the wax reform :smiley5:
1/2 alchohol , 1/2 vinegar, fill ear canal with this mix and lay on your side for 5 minutes. repeat other ear. This is what a DAN article stated about 4-5 years back. It worked for me! I quit using swabs to clean my ears as you are not supoosed to do that even if you are not a swimmer. Ear wax has re-established in my ears and I have quit the ear beer thing over a couple years ago and have had no problems since. Ear wax is a good thing. You probably have none and that's the root cause. Until you can figure out the ear wax issue, it's 5 minutes on each side, with the ear beer thing, after any swimming or diving. It works! It does not work if you wait for outer ear infection (swimmers ear) signs. It's preventative maintenance, not a fix once pain starts.
The bad news is, it is hard to re-establish ear wax while doushing your ear with alchohol regulalrly. Do not use swabs in your ears to remove ear wax, or anything else. Ask your doc if you have any wax in your ears next time your there. Probably not!

scubagirlj
08-16-2009, 10:42
what kind of vinegar? there are many types, guessing its not red wine or balsamic......so that leaves cider or white

caburrid
08-16-2009, 11:12
what kind of vinegar? there are many types, guessing its not red wine or balsamic......so that leaves cider or white

I use white vinegar. It really does work, just let it sit in there for a few minutes.

scubagirlj
08-16-2009, 16:52
thanx- making up a mix to add to my ever expanding SAD kit

mrmccoy
08-16-2009, 19:42
As everyone said ear beer. I just bought some of that swim ear stuff and dumped half of it out then topped it off with white vinegar.....5mins in each ear and you should be fine

bigman241
08-16-2009, 20:03
why the vinegar

As everyone said ear beer. I just bought some of that swim ear stuff and dumped half of it out then topped it off with white vinegar.....5mins in each ear and you should be fine

snagel
08-16-2009, 21:43
The vinegar helps to kill any bacteria and level out the ph.

Snagel

bigman241
08-16-2009, 22:38
I see. went swimming today thinking about it reminds me i need to add some of the swim ear stuff. As i can feel the water in my left ear.
The vinegar helps to kill any bacteria and level out the ph.

Snagel

CompuDude
08-17-2009, 12:51
Very easy to prevent with ear beer. 50-50, rubbing alcohol and white wine vinegar. 5 minutes in one ear, then 5 minutes in the other. Simple and 100% effective based on all feedback. I used to get ear infections regularly (swimmers ear), and haven't had a single one since I started the ear beer regimen, except the one time I knew I needed to and forgot.

DAN Divers Alert Network : More On Swimmers Ear (http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=49)

DAN Divers Alert Network : Can You Prevent Otitis Externa, or Swimmers Ear? (http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=48)

Note this is for prevention, not for curing an existing infection. If you already have an ear infection, your doctor should be able to prescribe you some antibiotics that will clear it up within a couple of days, although you'll likely be told to stay out of the water for longer than that.

Flatliner
08-17-2009, 13:06
I don't have the issue myself but I have heard from others that the full 5 min is important and that as Comp says, it works.

mrmccoy
08-17-2009, 17:24
The swim ear bottle is nice to have, I just leave it in my dive bag so I don't forget it!

maverick
08-17-2009, 18:05
U also might want 2 try Doc's pro ear plugs.

Scuba Pete
08-17-2009, 20:08
You could also look into a pro ear dive mask. I know a few people who use them. They said that they really like them.