PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Austin, TX!

Darmok
08-27-2007, 17:41
Hi!

I've decided to get into Scuba Diving... I've been thinking about this for a long time and I finally decided to do it. I first signed up with a friend to a OW class in California (I used to live there) about two years ago. She happened to have some kind of allergic asthma so she balked out and so did I. Actually, part of me was relieved because I was kind of nervous about it.

About two or three weeks ago I did the Discover Scuba class in Cancun and I enjoyed it. I was nervous going down for the first time and more worried about following the instructor and making sure I can keep a constant distance from the bottom (they taught nothing about buoyancy) than enjoying the scenery... anyways, I've been doing a lot of reading and I will do the OW class with Padi in the first weeks of september. I need to buy all my basic gear and this forum is going to be useful deciding... I'm also between two LDS in Austin... I'm not sure which one I'm going to pick... I dont know if it's polite to ask questions about comparing two LDS....

greyzen
08-27-2007, 17:55
Whats up Darmok!

I'm in austin too... ask away.

If an LDS is afraid of word-of-mouth, I'd be afraid of that shop :)

Vercingetorix
08-27-2007, 18:13
between two LDS in Austin... I'm not sure which one I'm going to pick... I dont know if it's polite to ask questions about comparing two LDS....Perfectly permitted and expected..

DivingsInMyBlood
08-27-2007, 19:25
hello and welcome

spotteddog
08-27-2007, 20:41
Find a class that fits your scheduale and do it to it, you still have plenty of time to hit lake travis. Windy Point park is a cool place to get your feet under you and get some dives in.

divechaplain-sara
08-27-2007, 22:19
welcome--ask divers in your area about their open water class experience and what the instructor was like, and take a class with an instructor who has a good reputation and fits your learning style. In Austin, you might want to check and see if there is an opportunity to take a class through UT.

dbsea
08-28-2007, 13:46
I lived in Austin for 23 years but was forced to move. Tom's Dive & Ski on Burnet Rd. is a great local shop. It is family owned & the owner's Husband is an Aqua Lung rep. They also have their own pool for training & equipment try-out.

greyzen
08-28-2007, 13:48
welcome--ask divers in your area about their open water class experience and what the instructor was like, and take a class with an instructor who has a good reputation and fits your learning style. In Austin, you might want to check and see if there is an opportunity to take a class through UT.

I have the perfect instructor... in austin.
Really nice guy, been instructoring for for 12yrs... certified in like everything and just got both me and my wife our cards.

Really friendly guy, PM me and I'll share his info if you want.