PDA

View Full Version : weight belt

bigman241
08-16-2009, 23:55
I am looking at the weight belts. Most of you know i am a big guy. Sad to have to say my belt is a 66 though now real loose around my belly and falls off my waist. Nice to know i can see some weight coming off.
I saw one adjustable weight belt on st that said 36 and up. Will that fit me. I would guest my waist is around 56 to 58 at the most.
XS Scuba Adjustable Weight Belt reviews and discounts, XS Scuba (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=XSWB)
would this work or should i make one. Also i read something about weight harness. I have trouble keeping my belt on me. SO would this be a good idea. how do i make or where can i buy one. ALso i want to have some of my weight on me to avoid shooting out the water like a bullet. I flote alot. I think if i did i might cause a titalwave and sink the boat and destory the local island. Just alittle fat humor.how many big guys got the guts to say that one :smiley2:

Rileybri
08-16-2009, 23:58
If you want to go belt then make your won out of 2" webbing an SS buckle and a slip stop.

or this Weight Belt reviews and discounts, Trident (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=WBP)

bigman241
08-17-2009, 00:06
THe only thing that worrys me about that is my gut i have a good zie belly ofcourse. But i guest it would be over my wetsuit and not sitting under my belly. another issue is what will help keep it up My thought was a belt two extra buckels and run some webbing over each shoulder to hold it up like suspenders.
If you want to go belt then make your won out of 2" webbing an SS buckle and a slip stop.

or this Weight Belt reviews and discounts, Trident (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=WBP)

WaScubaDude
08-17-2009, 00:13
If you have a concern about the belt slipping, do look into a harness weight belt system. Also, Zeagle BC's have a great integrated weight system that is secure but easily ditch-able. There are other many other weight integrated systems as well.

If you need to use alot of weight to dive I would suggest trying to distribute it around. IE: Tank band weights (say about 5lb x2), as well as a harness or integrated BC. Your instructor will help you figure this out before you get wet. Also, one great thing about loosing weight (fat), you will likely be able to use less weight when you dive.

Very best of luck to you in your course and with your surgery.

bigman241
08-17-2009, 00:16
I looked into the back inflates mainly the ranger. But with the surgery if i go ranger i will be to small to use it in a year or so.
If you have a concern about the belt slipping, do look into a harness weight belt system. Also, Zeagle BC's have a great integrated weight system that is secure but easily ditch-able. There are other many other weight integrated systems as well.

If you need to use alot of weight to dive I would suggest trying to distribute it around. IE: Tank band weights (say about 5lb x2), as well as a harness or integrated BC. Your instructor will help you figure this out before you get wet. Also, one great thing about loosing weight (fat), you will likely be able to use less weight when you dive.

Very best of luck to you in your course and with your surgery.

Rileybri
08-17-2009, 07:45
THe only thing that worrys me about that is my gut i have a good zie belly ofcourse. But i guest it would be over my wetsuit and not sitting under my belly. another issue is what will help keep it up My thought was a belt two extra buckels and run some webbing over each shoulder to hold it up like suspenders.

I though it might be an issue, but you were asking about weight belts and the XS, although nice, is just a weight belt. I second the adjustable harness style as it will shrink with you and keep your led right where you want it. Stick with the BP/W for the same reason.

bigman241
08-17-2009, 07:49
Any recommendtions on what harness some look real nice some not so nice. Some seem they would be bulky under the bp\w. Not sure where to go with it. or should i just have my weight on the bc and forget it.

I though it might be an issue, but you were asking about weight belts and the XS, although nice, is just a weight belt. I second the adjustable harness style as it will shrink with you and keep your led right where you want it. Stick with the BP/W for the same reason.

PTAaron
08-17-2009, 07:55
THe only thing that worrys me about that is my gut i have a good zie belly ofcourse. But i guess it would be over my wetsuit and not sitting under my belly. another issue is what will help keep it up My thought was a belt two extra buckels and run some webbing over each shoulder to hold it up like suspenders.
I would be real careful with that idea - it would be hard to ditch the belt if you made your own suspenders for it.
There are harnesses out there that are already pre-made with ditchable weight, that is what you should be looking at.

scubadiver888
08-17-2009, 10:59
I am looking at the weight belts. Most of you know i am a big guy. Sad to have to say my belt is a 66 though now real loose around my belly and falls off my waist. Nice to know i can see some weight coming off.
I saw one adjustable weight belt on st that said 36 and up. Will that fit me. I would guest my waist is around 56 to 58 at the most.
XS Scuba Adjustable Weight Belt reviews and discounts, XS Scuba (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=XSWB)
would this work or should i make one. Also i read something about weight harness. I have trouble keeping my belt on me. SO would this be a good idea. how do i make or where can i buy one. ALso i want to have some of my weight on me to avoid shooting out the water like a bullet. I flote alot. I think if i did i might cause a titalwave and sink the boat and destory the local island. Just alittle fat humor.how many big guys got the guts to say that one :smiley2:

Have a look at something like this (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=DUI_Weight_and_Trim_Classic) . I don't k now what sizes it comes in but this style is worth considering. This is the only one I saw on ScubaToys but there are other manufacturers of weight harness systems. You can just google for them.

The simpler the better. If you can find something which is just shoulder straps and a normal weight belt (2" webbing and a stainless steel buckle) then you can start with a long piece of 2" webbing. As you lose weight, cut some of the belt away (making it shorter).

By the way, the sizes on the weight belts are minimums for the skinny guys. My first instructor had a 26" waist. So the 36" belt would not fit him. No one seems to consider the maximums because you can usually string two belts together to make a longer belt. The XSScuba weight system comes in XXL but they don't say how many inches that is. I'd send the guys at ScubaToys an email asking them how big the thing is.

CompuDude
08-17-2009, 13:48
I just cut off the ends of my spare 6-pocket XS Scuba belt to fit my smaller wife, so unfortunately I can't tell you the true length of the belt it comes with. It's a fantastic belt, however, and I highly recommend them.

I would recommend buying the 8-pocket XS Scuba belt, and if it doesn't fit, just buy some 2" webbing (sold by the foot very inexpensively, so buy however much you need) and replace the webbing they provided with the new, longer webbing. The XS Scuba belts use pockets that simply slide onto standard weight belt material, so there is no issue with doing this.

As to a harness, if one is really needed to keep the belt on, one option may be to make a harness out of 2" webbing but add quick-disconnects to each shoulder strap to be sure you can release it in an emergency. Note that this setup is going to be a HUGE PITA to practice ditching, however, as you'll have to remove the entire bp/w rig to replace it underwater. Spend some time thinking about these issues as you figure out which direction you want to go.

cmburch
08-17-2009, 15:35
I got the largest XS SCUBA belt. I do not use all of the pockets and had to cut quite a bit off the belt. Contact ST for the exact length. They could probably set you up with a big enough belt and perhaps trade in the shorter belt. You may also want to get a steel QR buckle to replace the plastic one. I also use to use ankle weights to get some weight off my belt.

Flatliner
08-17-2009, 16:34
I have the XS belt as well and replaced the buckle with a steel one. In your case, you will want suspenders though I would guess. I am sure you could make some up. I would talk to your instructor first though as you will need to be able to ditch weight during training.

bigman241
08-17-2009, 17:10
true my thought was Take a piece of webbing run it through the welt belt go over my shoulder and through the weight belt in the back. The come back and use a ss buckle to clip the loop togather one oneach side. properly have the buckle by the belt so all i had to do was reach down and unclip it. No bulky padding no clips nothing but some webbing and a buckle.
I have the XS belt as well and replaced the buckle with a steel one. In your case, you will want suspenders though I would guess. I am sure you could make some up. I would talk to your instructor first though as you will need to be able to ditch weight during training.