PDA

View Full Version : oceanic atom 2

bigman241
08-17-2009, 20:04
What are you guys thoughts on the atom 2 from oceanic i like the buddy system so i know what my buddys air is. That way when my dad buys his gear we will know when we are both ready to head up though i bet i am ready before him. He is in alot better shape then me. I like the wrist wireless air inter. One as one less hose for a newbi to get hung up

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=Atom2Computer
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=OceanicAtom3Computer

BRsnow
08-17-2009, 23:24
I also thought of getting a really good computer, but was able to pick up a veo 100nx for a good price. I have logged a fair amount of dives over the past few months and think the computer is great. Will be quite some time until I out grow it. Also, I am curious as the range of the buddy info, I am guessing it is probably a few feet. I would love the atom, just the more time in the water the more I am pleased I went with a one button model that does more than I can dive...BR

rawalker
08-18-2009, 00:45
I have 3 Oceannic wireless computers a VT3, Atom 1.0 and the Atom 2.0.
The Atoms are great computers for recreational divers that understand the limitations and requirement of using a wireless AI computer.
That said I always question whether the user intends to wear it as a everyday watch. My thinking is that to rely on it when diving it is best to limit how much it gets banged up when not diving.
If your eyesight isn't quite up to par then the VT3 has a bigger display.

mitsuguy
08-18-2009, 04:27
The Atom is a great little computer - not a bad idea to go ahead and still have a SPG as a backup however...

Smashee
08-18-2009, 04:38
The Atom is a great little computer - not a bad idea to go ahead and still have a SPG as a backup however...

Probably, but for the majority of recreational diving, IMO, it's not a vital thing. Your buddy is there and you've planned the dive properly, so losing all your info at once *shouldn't* cause you anything worse than some muffled swearing, closely followed by a slow, safe ascent.

Having said that, a redundant SPG isn't a bad idea at all. Even if you've done everything right and know that you've got plenty of air left, it's incredibly reassuring to see the needle firmly in the green.

bigman241
08-18-2009, 12:31
IT will be diving only i ant wearing a 800 dollar computer for watch. heck the way i loose things i would loose it in a week on my wraist. Beside what if i forget to take it off and take a shower or go swimming. :smiley36::smiley36:

Last three watchs i have wore are trashed. First one was lost fishing went in the lake and water ress. Does not mean water proof. Second got smashed moveing the third was stolen at a gym when i left it sitting on a bench. Lets say i do not wear a watch. Heck i loss my phone enough.
I have 3 Oceannic wireless computers a VT3, Atom 1.0 and the Atom 2.0.
The Atoms are great computers for recreational divers that understand the limitations and requirement of using a wireless AI computer.
That said I always question whether the user intends to wear it as a everyday watch. My thinking is that to rely on it when diving it is best to limit how much it gets banged up when not diving.
If your eyesight isn't quite up to par then the VT3 has a bigger display.