PDA

View Full Version : Best diy boat for setting up for diving.

bigman241
08-17-2009, 20:10
Ok last year when we looked at diving i was told not to dive from my bass boat as it would be near impossiable. SOld the bass boat. We boat a pontoon i thought there we good nice deck alot of places to set a heavy duty ladder. sold it. When i go to buy another boat what would you guys recommend for a boat i can dive from. we have some small but boat access only lakes around here that are clear and i want to dive them. Should i go with another pontoon. Also what about a jetski with a drop down ladder on the back.

PTAaron
08-17-2009, 20:27
I would think a pontoon with a heavy duty ladder would be a good choice.

A ski boat or fishing boat would be difficult to get back aboard with all your gear on... but if you remove your rig in the water it would probably be fine.

I can't imagine getting back out of the water with my gear on and trying to get on a jet ski/wave runner - but people do dive off kayaks.

bigman241
08-17-2009, 20:38
Ya i thought so. I guest with the jetski you could take off your rig and get on the pull it on though i would bet it would be difficult Though a ski tube to pull your gear in might work :smiley31:
I would think a pontoon with a heavy duty ladder would be a good choice.

A ski boat or fishing boat would be difficult to get back aboard with all your gear on... but if you remove your rig in the water it would probably be fine.

I can't imagine getting back out of the water with my gear on and trying to get on a jet ski/wave runner - but people do dive off kayaks.

Coastie6
08-17-2009, 21:00
Pontoons are nice because of large deck space and stability, add a Crone ladder to the bow between the toons and you'd have a nice dive rig.

For a smaller boat on the cheap, I'd look for a 17' Boston Whaler Montauk hull Here's the newest version: 170 Montauk Center Console Boat (http://www.whaler.com/boats/boat-170montauk/). These are really nice dive platforms for their size. Should be able to find a good serviceable unit from the late 1970's (production began is 1976) - 1980's at a very reasonable price on eBay Motors, Craig's List or Boat Trader. There was one on our local Craig's List for about $3,500 with motor and trailer this spring. Good luck!

mrmccoy
08-17-2009, 22:50
I would think that any boat that has some type of platform on the rear anda good sturdy ladder. If you didn't want a pontoon boat might look into the ski style boats with a swim platform.

bigman241
08-17-2009, 23:10
true. I am wanting a small alum fishing boat. Plus i am taking a welding class for college mig this semester and tig next. SO i could properly buy the boat and weld me a platform on the back maybe not sure worth looking into. I know the one i am thinking is a hand type motor that you turn the motor by hand to move but it is a good size and wide. I think that might work.
I would think that any boat that has some type of platform on the rear anda good sturdy ladder. If you didn't want a pontoon boat might look into the ski style boats with a swim platform.

jugglematt
08-18-2009, 04:51
i recently purchased a Aluminum cat and set it up for diving 4.6m webster twinfisher with 60hp yamaha 4/
, Cats are great dive platforms as they are very stable and handle choppy water well .

my boat also has a Walk through transom Door and a oversize extra strong dive ladder which means apart from removing my fins i can walk back onto my boat without removing my gear (less back strain lifting tanks over the side)

its worth looking around quite a bit before diving ,

i did 6 months research and searching for exactly the correct model ,

if you get the right boat it can make your diving as stress free on your body as possible

best of luck
Matt

mitsuguy
08-18-2009, 06:10
We use a small inflatable for small groups of divers - awesome, quick to get somewhere, easy in and out of the water, lightweight - easy to put on a trailer, etc. etc....

the best thing about them is the forward hull opens up, so, when you get in the water, you can backroll over the side, or front roll into the water inside the boat... at the end of the dive, simply surface inside the hull, inflate your BC, remove it, slip out of the water (the floor is only a few inches above the water), then pull your gear up...

We've been using them for years for 4 dives a day, and they hold up pretty well - even with our heavy usage, we can usually get 3 years of service out of one - usually damaged by accident, not manufacturing fault...

The Patten Company - 561.588.8500 - the premier provider of inflatable products for the Aviation/Aerospace/Defense industry. (http://www.pattencompany.com/pt_video.htm)

One other thing - I much prefer these smaller, cat style inflatables in high seas than our 36' Newton dive boat - they ride so much better than it does and people get less sea sick - I've taken one out in 8-10' seas and had no issues with it at all...

fire diver
08-18-2009, 09:36
For non-ocean diving, you can't really beat a pontoon boat. I have been wanting to buy an old used pontoon and gut the top, rebuild it as a dive platform with propper benches, tank ranks and storage.

No Misses
08-18-2009, 15:22
I did a lot of diving from a 16' Flats Boat (Hewes Bonefisher).

1. Take your bc off and attach it to the trail rope.
2. LEAVE YOUR FINS ON. Grasp the side of the boat and give a good kick. This should be enough to get your waist up to the gunnel. Now lean in and fall into the boat :-)

I'm just saying....Dive with whatever gets you there. Fishing boat, Pontoon, Kayak, Bamboo Raft, foam noodle, etc. There is always a way to make it work for you.

navyhmc
08-18-2009, 15:47
I concur with Pontoon boats for lake diving-lots of space, stable, and usually shade for the support folks.