PDA

View Full Version : florida aquarium shark dive

scubasamurai
08-27-2007, 18:05
did the florida aquarium shark dive (tampa) and sad to say after the first two minutes boring!!! yes an underwater dive exp that is boring. it is pretty neat to hang with sharks in a small tank, but when you get in, you swim from the pvc "shark cage" for show only to a rock where you hang for the next 30 minutes on your knees. no swimming or moving about. the sharks actually are funnelled to you. some do get close and you get a couple of shark teeth, but not great for diving. dont' get me wrong the people are great but the experince after seeing the sharks in the first two minutes becomes a complete disappointment. epicot at least lets you swim in the tank with your buddies.
it is one of those dive that you check off and said you did it and get the hat and one free picture for 150 bucks!!

FyVe
08-27-2007, 18:08
for that you can just shoot of a spear gun off the coast in jupiter a few times (at nothing at all even) and wait for the bullsharks to come check you out. they hang out for a few minutes, and then leave. make sure it's with bands.

scubasamurai
08-28-2007, 11:23
yep you can, and it is much moree exciting i am sure than sitting on the bottom of a tank!

NitroWill
08-28-2007, 12:14
Where's the said free pic?

greyzen
08-28-2007, 12:35
think I'd rather go to disney.

there is a place in west texas that lets you kill a deer and they butcher it/etc.
My father did it and said they bring you the deer on a freakin leash.

That just seems about as wrong...

Black-Gorrilla
08-28-2007, 13:09
think I'd rather go to disney.

there is a place in west texas that lets you kill a deer and they butcher it/etc.
My father did it and said they bring you the deer on a freakin leash.

That just seems about as wrong...

the way i look at it is this.... if you really wanna kill something.. be fair.
take a 10" knife, and a bottle of water, and go out into the woods and try to kill a black bear. that way you can at lest actually say you hunted something... cause sitting in a tree stand for 5 hours till bamby shows up, then you shoot him with a 50cal anti-tank riffle from 500yards out is just not hunting. get out there and chase something down that can defent it's self. bulls, lions, bears, tiger. go hunt a shark, with a pocket knife and a snorkel.
good luck!

greyzen
08-28-2007, 13:20
Black, you and I see eye to eye on this one.

I don't care if people want to hunt...have at it. I enjoy venison/fish/cow/etc. and will continue to do so...

But paying to swim in a tank like that... seems a little anti-climatic to me

kevinj1
08-28-2007, 15:06
thats ridiculous--i remembr shark feedings in the ocean off of S. Florida, now that was intense. I miss those days.
I might have to start a new thread and see if people think we should bring back legal shark feeding.

scubasamurai
08-28-2007, 15:12
hey maybe i will scan the picture wasn't that good. did the st marteen shark dive now that is fun. aggg look out!!!

meesier42
08-28-2007, 19:26
I haven't yet done any of the tank dives, but I guess I don't see the real thrill of in a tank for sharks at least. some of fish that you can't find regularly would be cool, to have the chance to get close to them.

scubasamurai
08-29-2007, 13:04
here is the picture my kid took through the glass, just a nurse shark passin by they did have some sand tigers too

greyzen
08-29-2007, 13:12
I'm not saying that being in a tank with sharks isn't cool.... I just think they should at least give you the ability to swim around.

Getting in the water, sitting ona rock, and having sharks teased into coming by me doesn't seem very fun to me...

scubasamurai
08-29-2007, 14:25
yep the sitting on your arse was a bit boring, the kids thought it was cool, but again did it now i will never do that again unless you can swim around. hate to say it i would rather spend my money at epcot

Krakenn
08-30-2007, 23:35
Tank dives are always great for the kids

Kraks

kingfish
08-31-2007, 07:09
I did the Melbourne Aquarium shark dive a few months ago and to a newbe like myself it was great.

We wernt able to do alot of swimming but we were able to move around a bit.

There were also some big rays that were very friendly.
There were 2 or 3 big grey nurses and they were awesome.

They swam right over me within an arms reach.
We were told not to touch them but i really wanted to scratch them on the belly as they went by.

Cant wait to see them in the wild.

Jas.

Xspect
08-31-2007, 11:48
What a rip off.

scubasamurai
08-31-2007, 12:22
they do have another dive there, but you are hooked to the surface with a snorkle system, good for kids , but again sitting is never good for kids.

JipThePeople
08-31-2007, 21:52
I was looking into that dive someday. That's disappointing to hear. I will put my money toward wreck diving in FL and perhaps I'll see a shark that way!

scubasamurai
09-01-2007, 08:53
yep better off going to the bahamas and doing that stuart shark dive adventure. at least you can sort of move. check out my pictures i put some bigger photos in their.