PDA

View Full Version : Disappointment with Suunto D9

stretch54
08-18-2009, 20:06
Hi everyone,
I own a Suunto D9 dive computer for under 2 years now with about 50-60 dives on it.
Recently under the shower it suddenly started to beep. When looking at it, it showed a screen I had never seen before and it wouldn't react to any button pressing.
When I rang the australien importer Aquanaut, I was told that the depth gauge is malfunctioning and it needs the complete electronics replaced for A$1400, that's about US$1200.
Please be warned before you run out and buy one of those. They are obviously very delicate instruments, possibly due to their miniaturisation.
I have since approached Suunto directly in Finland and all they did was direct me back to the australien importer.
So it sounds like the only way for the computer is into the rubbish bin.

Never again another SUUNTO.

Thanks for listening
Ralf Hesse

Skred
08-18-2009, 20:18
I feel your pain, stretch. Had the same issue with a Cobra. I was offered a nominal trade-in allowance but elected to replace it with another brand instead. If you look at the cost of other computers, replacement is the obvious choice over repair, IMO.

There are several threads on "that other board" that prove this is not an isolated issue. Rather than acknowledge an issue with defective depth sensors, Suunto has elected not to fix the issue. They instead offer replacement for units still under warranty and trade-in allowance for those out of warranty. Nice customer service, huh?

I'm done with Suunto, except for one thing...that I'm not giving up my SK7's! As far as a computer, though, I've switched to Oceanic and am happy with my decision.

Travelnsj
08-18-2009, 21:14
Well that does not sound good....I have a D9 that is 3 years old....just sent in for a battery replacement, cleaning, replacement of O rings etc....I hope it lasts longer than yours!

CompuDude
08-18-2009, 22:56
I don't know, the little Gekko I picked up used for $120 has been a great value as a backup/loaner computer. :D

And I love my SK7, too.

For bigger ticket items, however, my money is going to Uwatec or Oceanic. Or perhaps Liquivision...

skdvr
08-19-2009, 06:43
Or perhaps Liquivision...

Mmmmm Liquivision.....

I like Shearwater also....

Phil

comet24
08-19-2009, 07:02
Or perhaps Liquivision...

Mmmmm Liquivision.....

I like Shearwater also....

Phil

My Shearwater's great but I think with the above two compters we are stepping out of your average divers needs.

I also have a Oceanic that's been fine.

tonka97
08-19-2009, 08:40
Hi everyone,
I own a Suunto D9 dive computer for under 2 years now with about 50-60 dives on it.
Recently under the shower it suddenly started to beep. When looking at it, it showed a screen I had never seen before and it wouldn't react to any button pressing.
When I rang the australien importer Aquanaut, I was told that the depth gauge is malfunctioning and it needs the complete electronics replaced for A$1400, that's about US$1200.
Please be warned before you run out and buy one of those. They are obviously very delicate instruments, possibly due to their miniaturisation.
I have since approached Suunto directly in Finland and all they did was direct me back to the australien importer.
So it sounds like the only way for the computer is into the rubbish bin.

Never again another SUUNTO.

Thanks for listening
Ralf Hesse

I purchased my Suunto Cobra 6 years ago, and it has been flawless.:smiley20:

Sorry about your negative experience.:smiley19:

Skred
08-19-2009, 08:57
I purchased my Suunto Cobra 6 years ago, and it has been flawless.:smiley20:

Sorry about your negative experience.:smiley19:

Ditto. As a matter of fact, I bought 2 at the same time about 6 years ago and one of them is still working just fine...for now.

crazygolf
08-26-2009, 21:40
It is so good.

TaylorMade 08 r7 CGB Max Irons Graphite Shaft (http://www.golfonlinesale.com/products/TaylorMade-08--r7-CGB-Max-Irons-Graphite-Shaft-Golf-410.html)

tonka97
08-26-2009, 23:58
It is so good.

Yes it is, and sometimes it gets better.:smiley31:

mitsuguy
08-27-2009, 06:04
I've come to the conclusion that certain dive related items would be better off if they never went under water...

I have not seen a brand or make of dive computer that is 100% reliable - sometimes pelagics have battery issues, suunto's have depth sensor issues, Cressis screws to hold the back plate on rust, just to name a few...

skdvr
08-27-2009, 07:02
I have a Mares SS Nemo that has been GREAT. It is a wrist watch size though and some people do not like that. I also have a Oceanic VT Pro that has battery issues. I can put a fresh batt in it and it will show me the low batt symbol. I still use it all the time, sometimes it says low batt and sometimes it doesn't. Other than that it has worked good...

Phil

Travelnsj
08-27-2009, 18:46
I love my D9!....Just got it back from my LDS...I had to have the battery replaced and a full service that Suunto Strongly recommends....they clean and replace all 0 rings etc....$160.00...I bought this when it first came out 3 years ago and they said the only maintenance that was needed was a battery change!.....reminds me of a great investment I bought about 8 or 9 years ago called Cisco systems at $72.00 a share....I love my D9...The money pit:smiley21:

Draq
08-27-2009, 18:57
$160.00 to change battery and O ring? What, are the O rings titanium too?

I mean, I just had a battery change in a Citizen Aqualand. Remove back, put in new battery, put in new O ring, replace back and pressure test $29.00.

I could have sent it to Citizen:

Battery (s), New Case Back Gasket, Inspection/Lubrications of Gaskets as Required. Testing of the Accuracy of Depth Gauge and Appropriate Alarms. Water Test and Certify, Postage, Insurance, and Handling. $68.75

Travelnsj
08-27-2009, 21:24
This what Sunnto advises (wish I read this before I purchased it):

Every two years or 200 dives (whichever comes first), Suunto strongly recommends a bi-annual service that includes:

Complete disassembly of the D9.
Careful cleaning of all surfaces that may have been exposed to water.
Battery replacement.
Replacement and lubrication of all O-rings, gaskets and several screws.
Reassembly and pressure testing.The cost for this bi-annual service is US$160 plus return shipping. (Authorized AquaLung dealers should consult their Dealer Manual for pricing information.)
It is also recommended to send in the D9 transmitter at the same time. The cost for the transmitter battery service is US$45 plus return shipping.
More extensive problems may require additional parts and labor or even replacement. If this is the case, we will contact you with an estimate of the total cost and ask for your approval before continuing.

CompuDude
08-29-2009, 01:06
$160.00 to change battery and O ring? What, are the O rings titanium too?

I mean, I just had a battery change in a Citizen Aqualand. Remove back, put in new battery, put in new O ring, replace back and pressure test $29.00.

I could have sent it to Citizen:

Battery (s), New Case Back Gasket, Inspection/Lubrications of Gaskets as Required. Testing of the Accuracy of Depth Gauge and Appropriate Alarms. Water Test and Certify, Postage, Insurance, and Handling. $68.75

This is why I like the newer eco-drive aqualand watches. Solar, so no battery changes, ever!

Maddivingmikey
08-30-2009, 05:46
I dived for years on a Suunto Octopus II (which is still going strong), nice and easy straight forward computer. But I needed a Nitrox computer and Suunto seemed my obvious choice and with its 3 mix capability probably the only computer I needed for the foreseeable future.

Bought the computer online in the UK with the transmitter and dived with it all over the world for just over 2 years. Just had the battery replaced (at a fair expense in Australia where I am now living).

About 3 months ago on a 15 metre dive on the GBR the computer started to give me strange readings and at one point I was at 178 metres with 55mins of Deco!

Long to short sent the computer away and the pressure sensor has gone and the whole insides need replaced at a cost of over Aus$1000.

I have now, through the company I have bought the computer off in the UK, returned the computer to Suunto and I am awaiting what they say.

Now considering this is one of Suunto flagship computers with real deep capabilities and the number of stories with the same problem - it just aint good enough.

I like the computer; I like the ability to dive without gauges trailing all over the place. I also like the fact I can give a trainee my regs and monitor their air supply on my computer (while going back to gauges myself).

I don't like the fact the compass setting switches off as quickly when trying to navigate. I don't like the dive time is giving such low priority on the screen. I don't like the fact that the battery is not use changeable.

What I really don't like is that because the unit is just outside of the 2 year warranty I might be having to pay half the purchase cost to have it fixed.

If that's my only option then I can see a VR3 in my future.

Travelnsj
09-09-2009, 16:58
One thing I found out today...for that $160 they did do a software update that will now show on the D9 the wireless transmitter battery is getting low. Still have a hard time justifying $160!

Draq
09-17-2009, 10:25
This is why I like the newer eco-drive aqualand watches. Solar, so no battery changes, ever!

I agree, I have a solar Casio and a solar Citizen and love the solar charging. On the downside, I have heard some claims that if used as dive watches, the mfr. still suggests servicing every 1-2 years to replace gaskets and such. But then, manufacturers always want you to get those factory services done as often as possible.

CompuDude
09-17-2009, 11:37

I agree, I have a solar Casio and a solar Citizen and love the solar charging. On the downside, I have heard some claims that if used as dive watches, the mfr. still suggests servicing every 1-2 years to replace gaskets and such. But then, manufacturers always want you to get those factory services done as often as possible.

OTOH, I've also read reports by people who have had their eco drive watches for years, beating on them daily, and they're still going strong. And many other reports from people with automatic (mechanical, not solar, but still no batteries needed) that work for years and years without needing any special service. I personally own watches that are MANY years old (10-20) that are still 100% waterproof, they just have no juice left.

I don't intend to worry about it, personally. I just don't see the waterproofing being that much of a failure point, especially compared to MANY reports of floods that come immediately after a battery change. (Where, clearly, the seals were not put back properly.) It seems clear to me where the actual risk is.

Maybe in 5-8 years I'll send it in for factory service. You know, if something seems wrong, or I have money to burn. ;)