PDA

View Full Version : Canon unveils PowerShot G11 high-end compact

DevilDiver
08-19-2009, 17:32
Wednesday, 19 August 2009
Canon unveils PowerShot G11 high-end compact (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0908/09081908canong11.asp)
http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/images/canon_g11.gif (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0908/09081908canong11.asp)Pre-IFA 2009: Canon has announced a handful of compact cameras including models aimed squarely at keen photographers. Top of the line is the PowerShot G11, successor to its flagship PowerShot G10 compact released last year. The G11 replaces the G10's 14.7MP sensor with what it describes as a high sensitivity 10 MP CCD though it still uses the same 28-140mm equivalent stabilized lens. The camera also gains a tilt and swivel LCD, though the size drops to 2.8 inches. Flash sync speed increases to 1/2000th of a second and HDMI output is also added. Other features include Dual Anti-Noise System (more sensitive sensor and Digic 4 offering a claimed 2-stop improvement over the G10), RAW shooting and P/A/S/M shooting modes. (13:00 GMT)

Cheddarchick
08-19-2009, 18:15
Man.....I haven't even caught up to the G9....

CompuDude
08-19-2009, 18:22
Glad I put off buying a G10. :D

Geez, are they coming out with new models annually, though? That's excessive... housing manufacturers are going to have a rough time.

I HATE that they made the LCD smaller, though. Ugh.

DevilDiver
08-19-2009, 18:44
:spin:

Professional photographers will benefit from the G11ís greatly expanded dynamic range. Canonís new Dual Anti-Noise System combines a high sensitivity 10.0 Megapixel image sensor with Canonís enhanced DIGIC 4 image processing technology to increase image quality and greatly improve noise performance by up to 2 stops (compared to PowerShot G10). The PowerShot G11 also includes i-Contrast technology, which prevents high-light blowout whilst retaining low-light detail Ė ideal for difficult lighting situations.

The premium quality Canon lens delivers picture-perfect performance, offering a 5x wide angle (28mm) zoom with optical Image Stabilizer (IS). This allows handheld shots to be taken at much slower shutter speeds (4-stops) than conventional non-IS models - allowing perfect shooting in darker conditions or at a lower ISO. Greatly reducing blur caused by camera shake, photographers can shoot at longer focal lengths and in lower light conditions without the need for a tripod.

Underwater photographers can even team the PowerShot G11 with the specially designed Waterproof Case WP-DC34 - an underwater housing allowing full control of the camera at depths down to 40m.

CompuDude
08-19-2009, 18:50
Oooohhh... they also released the S90, finally bringing back their S-series cameras! I can finally update my S80 without going to a drastically bulkier camera! I'll have to look into these closely...

chinacat46
08-19-2009, 18:51
Yeah if you are underwater who cares that the LCD swivels I'd rather have the bigger LCD.

DevilDiver
08-19-2009, 19:52
Yeah if you are underwater who cares that the LCD swivels I'd rather have the bigger LCD.

Could be useful topside but maybe not......... Really it is only 2/10" difference.

If you want a better view U/W of the LCD try looking at a magnifying hood for the housing.

http://www.divervision.com/catalog/images/product/un/UA-9001_1.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:popupWindow('http://www.divervision.com/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=70')) or http://www.divervision.com/catalog/images/product/un/UNZ-2444_1.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:popupWindow('http://www.divervision.com/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=820'))

I use the one with the eyepiece and really like it, great for macro and it makes you look at the LCD like a view finder on a SLR.

Nemrod
08-19-2009, 22:12
The G11 and new S90 have a much improved sensor for lower noise, higher ISO capability and improved dynamic range. The S90 also has a f2.0 lens which is nearly a full stop faster than the old fashioned G10 and coupled with the greatly improved ISO range will allow nice natural light wide angle photos. The S90 looks like the better camera.

N

CompuDude
08-19-2009, 22:47

Could be useful topside but maybe not......... Really it is only 2/10" difference.

Topside it could be useful in certain limited situations.

Currently my LCD is 2.5". The jump to 3.0" is noticeably bigger. The .3" jump to 2.8" is still bigger, but not as much. I'd definitely rather have that extra .2".

That said, the S90 is calling me a bit more. We'll have to see (a) how the housing situation works out, since Canon doesn't seem to offer one, although they did for the S80, and they do for the G9/10/11, and (b) how well the new control dial works out inside a housing.

Nemrod
08-19-2009, 22:59

Currently my LCD is 2.5". The jump to 3.0" is noticeably bigger. The .3" jump to 2.8" is still bigger, but not as much. I'd definitely rather have that extra .2".

That said, the S90 is calling me a bit more. We'll have to see (a) how the housing situation works out, since Canon doesn't seem to offer one, although they did for the S80, and they do for the G9/10/11, and (b) how well the new control dial works out inside a housing.

Canon offers one for the S90, it is the DC35, it is on the accessory page, check it out.

N

jugglematt
08-20-2009, 04:24
The G11 replaces the G10's 14.7MP sensor with what it describes as a high sensitivity 10 MP CCD

does this mean the G11 will have a 10mp sensor.

if so is there finally some sense in the compact camera world and manufacturers have stopped the MP race and concentrated on other features.

about time , what is the point of a 14mp compact camera ?

sounds like a good camera

Matty

Nemrod
08-20-2009, 09:01
The G11 replaces the G10's 14.7MP sensor with what it describes as a high sensitivity 10 MP CCDdoes this mean the G11 will have a 10mp sensor.

if so is there finally some sense in the compact camera world and manufacturers have stopped the MP race and concentrated on other features.

about time , what is the point of a 14mp compact camera ?

sounds like a good camera

Matty

The camera, G100 and S90, are both all over the Canon website and DP Review, yes, they have a 10MP sensor which is much improved over the higher MP count , nosier, less dynamic range sensor of the antiquated G10.

N

CompuDude
08-20-2009, 13:31

Canon offers one for the S90, it is the DC35, it is on the accessory page, check it out.

N

Good to know... Although I hate Canon housings. Too flimsy for my tastes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Ikelite comes out with one, but currently it's still "under consideration". The availability of a Ike housing for the S90 (iffy) vs. the G11 (near certainty) could be a deciding factor when it comes time to buy.

Is it October yet? :D

jugglematt
08-20-2009, 15:07
if i know Ikelite
they wil be the first to have a housing available .
it will be solid , and sturdy , a bit bulky but a good value housing .

i would be surprised if ikelite does not produce a housing
Matt

DevilDiver
08-20-2009, 15:26
I would expect housings for the G11 from Ikelite, Patima, FIX (Seatool) and Sea & Sea (they make one for the G9 & G10 but they not distributed in the US).

There is a good chance for a housing for the S90 from Ikelite but I would be surprised to see one from others.

CompuDude
08-20-2009, 15:29
I would expect housings for the G11 from Ikelite, Patima, FIX (Seatool) and Sea & Sea (they make one for the G9 & G10 but they not distributed in the US).

There is a good chance for a housing for the S90 from Ikelite but I would be surprised to see one from others.

Ike made a housing for my S80, so I'm hoping they'll make one for the new S90. They don't make housings for every Canon that comes to market, however, so you never know for sure. The G11 is as near to a sure bet as it gets, however.

As to the S90, while I'm fine with my current brick-shaped S80 housing, I do hope they can use one of their newer compact housings for the S90. They're really slick! :smiley20:

Nemrod
08-20-2009, 16:09
These cameras were just released, of course Ikelite is still evaluating the S90, I hope they evaluate their way to a compact molded housing with a round port with 67mm threads instead of a snork port with that goofy bubble and no threads and rubber bands holding it on. N

DevilDiver
12-16-2009, 22:04
If anyone is interested........

Canon PowerShot G11 Review
Canon PowerShot G11 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong11/)

kat
12-16-2009, 22:10
If anyone is interested........

Canon PowerShot G11 Review
Canon PowerShot G11 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong11/)
Read that today at work....trying to decide between the G11 and SX20 IS. The G11 doesn't do high def video.

samerjb
12-17-2009, 02:40
I also got my eyes on G11 but i wont buy till i see the housing. I played with S90 the other day...very compact & light...sometimes you wonder if its capable of doing the same job as G11?

ScubaCaveman
12-17-2009, 05:48
I also got my eyes on G11 but i wont buy till i see the housing. I played with S90 the other day...very compact & light...sometimes you wonder if its capable of doing the same job as G11?

I actually returned the G11 and purchased an S90. I like the compactness and I can't tell any difference between the pictures produced. I am sure there are situations where the G11 would excel over the S90 but I don't see me being in those situations that often.

CompuDude
12-17-2009, 10:18

I actually returned the G11 and purchased an S90. I like the compactness and I can't tell any difference between the pictures produced. I am sure there are situations where the G11 would excel over the S90 but I don't see me being in those situations that often.

The S90 actually has a faster lens than the G11, for even better low light performance (f/2.0 vs. f/2.8 in the G11). And the same processor chip.

G11 has more zoom for land use, and very easy access to controls if you're shooting manual, but then, the S90's front control ring is a game changer there... until I get mine underwater it'll be hard to compare.

samerjb
12-19-2009, 12:43
but then, the S90's front control ring is a game changer there...

What exactly does that ring do ( for functions required underwater)?

kat
12-19-2009, 12:48
Which external flash would you go with on either the G11 or S90.

CompuDude
12-19-2009, 14:01
but then, the S90's front control ring is a game changer there...

What exactly does that ring do ( for functions required underwater)?

It changes settings. More direct controls is better than pushing buttons and plowing through menus.