PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Dr. in the house?

Bigake
08-20-2009, 17:13
I need help... About every second or third time that I go diving I have an ear issue....My right ear does not completely clear after the dive but not a serious problem.. I usually give it about 2 weeks to clear up but for some reason on certain occasions, it doesn't... Went to the Dr. today and got 2 shots,Rocephin and Celestone, and 2 prescriptions Azithromycin and Clarinex-D...
Why do I keep having this problem? I do the after dive Clear-ears drops thing but I keep having trouble?
Any advise?
Thanks,

Flatliner
08-20-2009, 18:33
If you are haveing problems, I would suggest you do a search for "ear beer" (I think it is 50% alcohol and 50% white vinegar) fill your ear and keep your head on the side for 5 full min. after the dive. Then turn over and do the other side. Those who have the same issue swear by this.

(in the interest of full disclosure I am not a doc, I am a nurse)

Bigake
08-20-2009, 20:02
Thanks Robert.... Dr. told me to dive again when I feel like it. I feel like it..Will try this Saturday after a local quarry dive...

tonka97
08-20-2009, 20:14
I need help... About every second or third time that I go diving I have an ear issue....My right ear does not completely clear after the dive but not a serious problem.. I usually give it about 2 weeks to clear up but for some reason on certain occasions, it doesn't... Went to the Dr. today and got 2 shots,Rocephin and Celestone, and 2 prescriptions Azithromycin and Clarinex-D...
Why do I keep having this problem? I do the after dive Clear-ears drops thing but I keep having trouble?
Any advise?
Thanks,

You may have an anatomic anomaly in your middle ear.

Some ears equalize pressures easily, some are more difficult.

I occasionally have the same difficulty as you, in one ear. A nuisance but manageable.

It doesn't necessarily involve any infection, more a difficulty of equalization.

Flatliner
08-20-2009, 20:23
I made the assumption that it was an infection of some type because the clinician who examined him gave him a script for antimicrobials.

Sansho
08-20-2009, 20:36
If you are haveing problems, I would suggest you do a search for "ear beer" (I think it is 50% alcohol and 50% white vinegar) fill your ear and keep your head on the side for 5 full min. after the dive. Then turn over and do the other side. Those who have the same issue swear by this.

If you want to minimize infections, use "ear beer" for 5 minutes (length of time is important to work) in each ear before and after diving. Good discussion on the DAN.org site on ear issues:
DAN Divers Alert Network : Can You Prevent Otitis Externa, or Swimmers Ear? (http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=48)
DAN Divers Alert Network : More On Swimmers Ear (http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=49)

Bigake
08-20-2009, 20:47
Tonka: What do you do to help this... I try to equalize early in my dives and really have no problems until post dive...

enigmata
08-20-2009, 21:43
My 0.02. You can get an infection from being in the water, but if it happens every time you dive, infection is less likely. Stuff like discharge and redness in the canal usually accompanies outer ear infections.

I agree that it may very well be anatomical as everyone's ear canal is different.

disclosure: i'm 6 months away from getting my MD... so trust your regular doctor, not me. :-D

wgt
08-21-2009, 06:13
Problems clearing point to an issue with the middle ear. Ear beer only affects the outer ear (reducing probabilities of outer ear infection) and is thus likely to be irrelevant to the difficulty faced by the OP.

The tube connecting the middle ear and the throat is normally only about 2.5 mm in diameter (that's small). Irritation of the tube (whether allergic, infectious, or traumatic) can easily impede the movement of air through the tube and thus compromise equalization. The problem is greater in those who may have structural or mechanical issues. In vulnerable persons, decongestants can be helpful, as they may shrink blood vessels and reduce fluid content to faciliate the function of the tube.

I would encourage some reading on the functional anatomy of the ear. I would hate to see somebody injured with a reverse squeeze because ear beer is promoted as a fix-all for ear problems.

Remember, ear bear swishes around in the outer ear and can therefore not help what might be wrong behind the ear drum in the middle ear.

(in the interest of full disclosure I am not a doc, I am a nurse)

Flatliner
08-21-2009, 06:37
Tonka: What do you do to help this... I try to equalize early in my dives and really have no problems until post dive...

Personal experience says if the statement in red is true, it isn't an equalization issue.

Flatliner
08-21-2009, 06:42
Any advise?
Thanks,

OK, reread the original post, if by this you mean it doesn't completely equalize on your last ascent, that is a totally different matter. The advice I got from DAN on that one when I called was to buy the "little noses" nasal spray, tip my head back, and squirt it up my nose (down actually) and then blow little puffs of air in a clearing attempt (not hard) to work it into my tubes. In my case that worked after a day or so. However, on the dive inquestion, I had MAJOR equalization issues.

okieguy
08-21-2009, 08:15
Any advise?
Thanks,

OK, reread the original post, if by this you mean it doesn't completely equalize on your last ascent, that is a totally different matter. The advice I got from DAN on that one when I called was to buy the "little noses" nasal spray, tip my head back, and squirt it up my nose (down actually) and then blow little puffs of air in a clearing attempt (not hard) to work it into my tubes. In my case that worked after a day or so. However, on the dive inquestion, I had MAJOR equalization issues.

I used to have problems clearing when diving or flying (sometimes severe) and now I use I use the NeilMed sinus rinse, which I think would do the same as Flatliner's suggestion but in a much bigger dose. I do it regularly especially with dives coming up but not immediately prior to a dive (within 2-3 hours). If you continue to have problems I would suggest going to a good ENT Doctor to be evaluated. They will be in the best position to evaluate if there is something anatomic going on that is causing this. I also ended up having sinus surgery which decreased the drainage in the back of my throat which in turn helped my ears clearing. It's all tied together. I'm not a doc so my opinion is just that, an opinion. Like I said, an ENT doc would be the best bet to evaluate for continued issues.

NeilMed Pharmaceuticals, Makers of Sinus Rinse, NasaFlo Netipot, Nasal Irrigation (http://www.neilmed.com/usa/sinusrinse.php)