PDA

View Full Version : dive site suggestions for grand cayman

scubagirlj
08-20-2009, 17:45
Counting down to take-off and would appreciate any input on "must do" dives- we are going out of sunset house and they said that the divers select the locations of the boat trips-thanx

mselizann
08-20-2009, 18:53
Counting down to take-off and would appreciate any input on "must do" dives- we are going out of sunset house and they said that the divers select the locations of the boat trips-thanx

Oro Verde (a wreck with a huge coral garden next to it), everyone does the "OV"..... Trinity Caves (swim throughs, not really caves, but a nice drop off), Ghost Mountain- (a huge pillar that appears out of nowhere, hence the name), Moat's mazes- not sure all dive ops know about this one, it's not buoyed...(sp?), but it is AWESOME....fantastic swim through, black with tarpon, not for the novice diver

scubagirlj
08-20-2009, 18:59
thanx- knew from other posts you know your way around there

diversteve
08-20-2009, 20:49
Big Tunnel, Orange Canyon, Blackie's Hole, Bonnie's Arch, the previously mentioned Trinity Caves - Aquarium for a shallow 2nd dive.

And do Stingray City one afternoon - world's best 12' dive.

jpep
08-24-2009, 09:54
In addition to the above mentioned sites, consider Sand Chute and Dragon's Hole.

A great shore dive is Turtle Reef at the Cracked Conch in West Bay, near the Turtle Farm. It is an accessible reef, located close to shore, beginning at 20 ft., and gradually descending to a 60 ft. mini-wall. There is a wide ladder for easy entry/exit. Sun Divers operates the dive shop at the site and has rinse tanks, showers, lockers, dive supplies and souvenirs. After the dive you can grab food and beverages at Macabuca, a Tiki Bar restaurant adjacent to the Cracked Conch.

If diving on the North, Eagle Ray Pass is not to be missed.

Enjoy and safe diving. :smiley20:

thor
08-24-2009, 09:56
In addition to the above mentioned sites, consider Sand Chute and Dragon's Hole.

A great shore dive is Turtle Reef at the Cracked Conch in West Bay, near the Turtle Farm. It is an accessible reef, located close to shore, beginning at 20 ft., and gradually descending to a 60 ft. mini-wall. There is a wide ladder for easy entry/exit. Sun Divers operates the dive shop at the site and has rinse tanks, showers, lockers, dive supplies and souvenirs. After the dive you can grab food and beverages at Macabuca, a Tiki Bar restaurant adjacent to the Cracked Conch.

Eagle Ray pass was pretty spectacular. I also enjoyed Dragon's Lair. It's all great

jpep
08-24-2009, 10:45

Eagle Ray pass was pretty spectacular. I also enjoyed Dragon's Lair. It's all great

Thor,

Where is Dragon's Lair? On the East End? I remember Dragon's Hole on the West side.

Did you get a chance to dive Babylon on the East End? Heard it is a great dive but that weather/water conditions sometimes result in planned dives being scratched. As we ususally stay on SMB, I have yet to dive the East End. Perhaps will get a chance to do so on the next trip.

thor
08-24-2009, 10:59
Thor,

Where is Dragon's Lair? On the East End? I remember Dragon's Hole on the West side.

Did you get a chance to dive Babylon on the East End? Heard it is a great dive but that weather/water conditions sometimes result in planned dives being scratched. As we ususally stay on SMB, I have yet to dive the East End. Perhaps will get a chance to do so on the next trip.

Dragon's Lair is on the East End, near Snapper Hole. There is a big reef that looks like a dragon's head. I'll have to post a picture.

No, I did not get to dive Babylon. The dive op had already gone there the day before I got there, and did not want to do a repeat the next day. Also the weather was a little dicey due to thunderstorms.

mselizann
10-07-2009, 18:33
Hey thor- where's that picture?