PDA

View Full Version : Pony Slung

Johncalloway
08-23-2009, 02:11
I was wondering if anyone have any pics while diving with their pony's slung. I am fixing to get one about 19cu ft. I was wondering what it would actually look like on someone, and where exactly to sling it. Thanks.

Recon
08-23-2009, 04:00
I will get a few pics maybe next weekend of me with mine slung (that is IF I get to dive next weekend, last 2 attempts have failed due to lack of a buddy). I just went to a DIR stage style setup, not sure on how I am gonna like it, but we shall see. It also depends pretty much on your BC on where you put it, if your BC does not have 2 tank bands... you are severally limited on what commercial products will work for you, with 2 tank bands, you have a few more choices. If you have just 1 tank band... and do not like any of the commercial products out there, and you want to dive in to the DIY world... then I can offer up a couple of ideas. Also, I do not know the reason that you are wanting to sling a 19cf pony, but the reason that I sling one is 2 fold... reason 1. In case of an OOA sitution, I have my own air that I am carrying, 2. When I dive with a couple of different people, their air consumption is ABNORMALLY LOW (*cough DD cough*), so I do not want to end their dive due to my air hogging lungs. So if you are slinging it for an OOA sitution then sling it, but if you are wanting more air cause you are an air hog like me.... just buy a HP steel tank with a higher volume of air. I hope that this post makes some sense, I am falling asleep typing it.

~Recon

fire diver
08-23-2009, 09:42
Sorry, I don't have any pics of myself with my pony. Doing a google search should turn up quite a few.

As for where it connects, the clip by the valve should be connected to the left shoulder D-ring (actually located at about the armpit), and the lower clip shouldbe connected to the left hip D-ring.

honestly, I forget about my pony when diving becuase it sits out of the way.

Since you are asking about slinging a tank, how are you planning on securing the reg / guage?

Johncalloway
08-23-2009, 14:36
I will get a few pics maybe next weekend of me with mine slung (that is IF I get to dive next weekend, last 2 attempts have failed due to lack of a buddy). I just went to a DIR stage style setup, not sure on how I am gonna like it, but we shall see. It also depends pretty much on your BC on where you put it, if your BC does not have 2 tank bands... you are severally limited on what commercial products will work for you, with 2 tank bands, you have a few more choices. If you have just 1 tank band... and do not like any of the commercial products out there, and you want to dive in to the DIY world... then I can offer up a couple of ideas. Also, I do not know the reason that you are wanting to sling a 19cf pony, but the reason that I sling one is 2 fold... reason 1. In case of an OOA sitution, I have my own air that I am carrying, 2. When I dive with a couple of different people, their air consumption is ABNORMALLY LOW (*cough DD cough*), so I do not want to end their dive due to my air hogging lungs. So if you are slinging it for an OOA sitution then sling it, but if you are wanting more air cause you are an air hog like me.... just buy a HP steel tank with a higher volume of air. I hope that this post makes some sense, I am falling asleep typing it.

~Recon

It is for out of air situation. I just don't want to deal with it on my back.

Johncalloway
08-23-2009, 14:41
Sorry, I don't have any pics of myself with my pony. Doing a google search should turn up quite a few.

As for where it connects, the clip by the valve should be connected to the left shoulder D-ring (actually located at about the armpit), and the lower clip shouldbe connected to the left hip D-ring.

My computer is on a d ring retractor right there.

honestly, I forget about my pony when diving becuase it sits out of the way.

Since you are asking about slinging a tank, how are you planning on securing the reg / guage?

I haven't actually thought about that. I was going to get one of those H2oddesy bottles with the reg screwed straight in, but upon deciding on a 19cu ft. (because everyone says 6cuft is to small) I guess I would have to put a regular regulator on it.

comet24
08-23-2009, 15:47
I would avoid the ones with the reg. screwed right into the tank/first stage. Get something that you can grow with as a diver. Also think about deploying it when under stress. You want this for OOA situations. Chances are your going to be stressed whether it's you who are OOA or someone who has jumped you in need of air. By the way I think the best way to avoid a OOA situation is to plan you dive and then dive your plan. Also don't dive with people that run out of air.

I don't have any pics of myself with a stage slung but here are two other with slung tanks for a trip to the Keys. These guys are diving CCR and you can't see how they are attach but you can get the idea where the tank sits. Once you dive with one you really forget it's there.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/comet24/Advanced%20Wreck/AdvancedWreckClass09310-1.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/comet24/Advanced%20Wreck/AdvancedWreckClass09289.jpg

fire diver
08-23-2009, 16:14

I was going to get one of those H2oddesy bottles with the reg screwed straight in, but upon deciding on a 19cu ft. (because everyone says 6cuft is to small) I guess I would have to put a regular regulator on it.

Well, I'm tempted to say that your computer is troubling. If you are looking to add a slung tank, you should be looking at your entire gear configuration. Retractors are huge failure points.

PLEASE stay away from those all-in-one pone regs. Stick with what is simple, easy, and works. Your pony second stage should be bungied to the tank, and you should have your SPG on a 6 inch hose.

A 19cf pony is a decent choice, but you need to understand the reason for possibly needing a 19 as aposed to a 6cf. Do you know what your SAC rate is for resting, swimming, and heavy exertion is?

navyhmc
08-23-2009, 22:40
I would avoid the ones with the reg. screwed right into the tank/first stage. Get something that you can grow with as a diver. Also think about deploying it when under stress. You want this for OOA situations. Chances are your going to be stressed whether it's you who are OOA or someone who has jumped you in need of air. By the way I think the best way to avoid a OOA situation is to plan you dive and then dive your plan. Also don't dive with people that run out of air.

I don't have any pics of myself with a stage slung but here are two other with slung tanks for a trip to the Keys. These guys are diving CCR and you can't see how they are attach but you can get the idea where the tank sits. Once you dive with one you really forget it's there.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/comet24/Advanced%20Wreck/AdvancedWreckClass09310-1.jpg

My God!!! what happened to his face? Is it the same thing that messed with his spool? :smiley36: Wish I would have read this friday, I was out and had a slung 40. Sorry...

Johncalloway
08-23-2009, 23:05
That just seems so akward having that huge tank right there. What size do you think that is under his arm? But, like I said I don't won't to have to worry about it being on my back. I definitely am not going to get one where the reg is attached directly to the bottle.

Johncalloway
08-23-2009, 23:08

I was going to get one of those H2oddesy bottles with the reg screwed straight in, but upon deciding on a 19cu ft. (because everyone says 6cuft is to small) I guess I would have to put a regular regulator on it.

Well, I'm tempted to say that your computer is troubling. If you are looking to add a slung tank, you should be looking at your entire gear configuration. Retractors are huge failure points.

PLEASE stay away from those all-in-one pone regs. Stick with what is simple, easy, and works. Your pony second stage should be bungied to the tank, and you should have your SPG on a 6 inch hose.

A 19cf pony is a decent choice, but you need to understand the reason for possibly needing a 19 as aposed to a 6cf. Do you know what your SAC rate is for resting, swimming, and heavy exertion is?

I don't understand what the problem is with the retractor. If it fails, it is only holding up my computer. Where else would you reccomend I put it?

navyhmc
08-23-2009, 23:08
John, the slung tank looks like an AL40. If the tape is right, he has 32% nitrox in it-would definitely be a pony vs. deco as most deco's are usually either 50% or 100%.

Johncalloway
08-23-2009, 23:34
I came across the quick draw bracket at scuba toys, and I was wondering how would you get this off yourself if it is on the back of your primary tank?

navyhmc
08-24-2009, 00:01
I came across the quick draw bracket at scuba toys, and I was wondering how would you get this off yourself if it is on the back of your primary tank?

Haven't used one myself, but my understanding is that the QD bracket keeps the pony against the tank and you use it with the pony on the tank. it's a QD so it's easy to take off and get it filled or store the pony separate from the main tank. Usually, those who do keep a pony on the main tank will hang it upside down so the valve is easy to get to in a hurry-no reaching over your head, just reach back usually at waist level for the valve and the reg has a hose long enough to either hang from a necklace or is stowed and long enough to reach your mouth without unhooking the tank.

Please note, I've not used one, this is from my observations. Sorry, no picts.

Grin
08-24-2009, 08:34
The Quikdraw is used by leaving the tank on your back(all the time even when your using it) method. For slinging, your slinging! No bracket neccessary. I have used a Quikdraw and they are nice. You simply have a normal reg attached to it and clipped off the 2nd stage to your chest D-ring. A Quikdraw is best for smaller bottles like 13s and 19s. A 30 could be used, but your starting to get to slinging territory with larger bottles. If you decide to back mount it, I'd get Zeagle straps. That's what I use now and they are just a hair nicer than the Quikdraw, and about $100 less expensive.
Someone will post a pic here, sooner or later, of a 19 slung. It is probably not as in the way, as that pic already posted looks.
I'm strickly open water and I prefer back mounted, by a mile, for a small pony. I back mount a 13 or 19 or 30 for different situations.
For stage bottles back mounting is not as preferred. And for tech diving they highly profer slinging also. But for a bail bottle in normal diving conditions, I think back mount is the way to go.

navyhmc
08-24-2009, 12:14
So I was right grin???! :smiley36:

comet24
08-24-2009, 16:37
John, the slung tank looks like an AL40. If the tape is right, he has 32% nitrox in it-would definitely be a pony vs. deco as most deco's are usually either 50% or 100%.

I should have mentioned it's a 40 and not a 19. It's likely 32% as it's bailout for his CCR. Posted it to give an idea of where a slung tank sits.

TommyB
08-24-2009, 17:27
I was wondering if anyone have any pics while diving with their pony's slung. I am fixing to get one about 19cu ft. I was wondering what it would actually look like on someone, and where exactly to sling it. Thanks.

http://www.divetraining.net/pictures/2009_june_21/DSC03716x.jpg
:smilie39:

Prolly easiest way would be

CompuDude
08-24-2009, 18:10
Here you go... this is an Al.40 as well, but you can see here where it rides in use.

http://www.gue.com/files/page_images/equipment/Config/rhea-cayman_stage219.jpg

Johncalloway
08-25-2009, 00:30

I should have mentioned it's a 40 and not a 19. It's likely 32% as it's bailout for his CCR. Posted it to give an idea of where a slung tank sits.

I understand that. Thank you.

Johncalloway
08-25-2009, 00:35

http://www.divetraining.net/pictures/2009_june_21/DSC03716x.jpg
:smilie39:

Prolly easiest way would be

Thanks alot guys, I just can't get used to all of this hanging off of me. I just want a pony for saftey though. I guess you have to make sacrafices somewhere.

it_mike
08-25-2009, 04:02
Thanks alot guys, I just can't get used to all of this hanging off of me. I just want a pony for saftey though. I guess you have to make sacrafices somewhere.

Don't confuse what your seeing with what you'd actually have to carry to sling a 19. I'd swear some of these guys have a Mr. T complex :smilie39:

Seriously, most of these shots are of divers who've obviously planned long dives. A 19 is much smaller, and will not be in your way while diving.

CompuDude
08-25-2009, 13:26

Don't confuse what your seeing with what you'd actually have to carry to sling a 19. I'd swear some of these guys have a Mr. T complex :smilie39:

Seriously, most of these shots are of divers who've obviously planned long dives. A 19 is much smaller, and will not be in your way while diving.

Agreed, most of those shots are of divers with highly technical rigs, carrying multiple bottles and multiple mixes. WAY outside the realm of what the OP is looking for.

The shot I posted of the guy carrying ONE Al.40 is far more appropo, and even that is a bit bigger than the Al.19 the OP is looking to carry. Same position, smaller tank.

mike_s
08-25-2009, 16:39

My God!!! what happened to his face? Is it the same thing that messed with his spool? :smiley36: Wish I would have read this friday, I was out and had a slung 40. Sorry...

I'd blur my face too if I had an entanglement like that which appears self inflicted.

in_cavediver
08-25-2009, 17:02

I'd blur my face too if I had an entanglement like that which appears self inflicted.

And that ladies and gentleman is why my spools only live in pockets anymore. 1 to many self deployments.

cummings66
08-25-2009, 18:07
My spool self deployed this weekend on the boat. I wound it back up and stuck it in my pocket where it belongs.

Johncalloway
08-25-2009, 20:22
Thanks alot for all of your help. I am definitely going to sling it.

comet24
08-25-2009, 21:06

Sorry guys it's not me. I blurred the face for other reasons. If I remember right he was using a crapped cheap reel.

WD8CDH
08-27-2009, 15:21
Personally, for a 19 or smaller, I prefer the pony attached to my main rig whether it is single or doubles. I only sling the larger ponys with big doubles.