PDA

View Full Version : Will be doing first night dive over labor day...

BRsnow
08-23-2009, 17:02
Looking forward to it, my buddies have told me just how incredible it is...have dove the reefs in Cozumel during the day we will be hitting at night so it will be fun to see what new shows up. Larry hooked me up with a light package, so I think I am ready to go...will have pics and report after...BR

comet24
08-23-2009, 17:04
Night dives are great. I prefer them often to day dives on a reef. A whole different set of life comes out at night.

jet126
08-23-2009, 17:29
You will love night diving. It's never pitch black - the moon and stars cast a lot of light. Just think about when you're outside at night - you can still see.

But at some point during your dive - maybe on your safety stop, turn off your flashlight and wave your arm. You will see the bioluminescence, like green pixie dust. It is magic.

Splitlip
08-23-2009, 17:39
And since sharks feed at night, good chance you'll see some. They are attracted to the lights.

BRsnow
08-23-2009, 19:56
And since sharks feed at night, good chance you'll see some. They are attracted to the lights.

Good to know, so the brighter the light, the better the dive?

DevilDiver
08-23-2009, 20:29

Good to know, so the brighter the light, the better the dive?

Not really, the bright lights just make it hadder to see everything outside the light so everything else is black.

Thats what makes it cool when the Barricuda come shooting in over your shoulder and snatch the reef fish you had your light on.

jet126
08-23-2009, 20:47
you guys - STOP IT. Although DD does make a good point. When you shine your light on some creature remember its predators can see it, too. So be mindful of how long you're looking at that little fishy. It might become someone's mid-night snack (thanks to you) if you're not careful.

BR - trust me, you will be hooked. Night dives are amazing. You will see so much ... don't forget to check your gauges as it's easy to lose track of time, depth, air ....

BRsnow
08-23-2009, 21:02
I am not worried and appreciate the banter...I love the water and have done a bunch of travel...so I am a bit adventurous...However I live in CO and I hike and mountain bike in the Rockies....I have a far better chance of getting it from a mountain lion than I do a shark...either way I appreciate having saw a mountian lion and enjoy the shark encounters thus far even though they have been only nurse sharks...BR

enigmata
08-23-2009, 21:50
Have fun! I actually enjoy a good night dive over a daylight dive due to all the life that comes out. Brighter lights aren't always better, just get one that suits your needs, which you'll see after a few night dives.

navyhmc
08-23-2009, 21:59
AS Jet said, you will either like night diving and will be hooked or you'll come away thinking "not for me". I love them and hope you havea great dive and many more! And since you posted about it, we expect a dive report!!!! (please....)

BRsnow
08-23-2009, 22:18
No worries, a report for sure..thanks for all the insight...BR

DevilDiver
08-23-2009, 23:59
Although DD does make a good point. When you shine your light on some creature remember its predators can see it, too. So be mindful of how long you're looking at that little fishy. It might become someone's mid-night snack (thanks to you) if you're not careful.

That's right... and at night that's when the 6 footers come out to hunt.

No shiney stuff and don't wave your arms around... :smiley5:

it_mike
08-24-2009, 16:19
Night diving also makes you realize how valuable a light is in the day. The colors will just come alive...

Enjoy!

rfortune
08-24-2009, 16:38
We just got back from Coz last week and did a night dive (our first) on Paradise Reef - spectacular.

Tons of octopi, giant crabs & lobsters, a VERY large moray, along with the other usual suspects.

As funny as it sounds (even to me), I had never seen fish sleeping before.

Very peaceful and beautiful. The bioluminescent critters were out in swarms - turn off your light for a while and just drift, watching what others are spotting.

mrm777
08-24-2009, 18:26
It's neat to go in at dusk and watch the reef changeover.
I especially like nite dives during a full moon. It's cool
to lay back and just gaze and the moon shining thru
the water.

Splitlip
08-24-2009, 18:42
the water.

LOL. It is called a happy hour dive to watch the changing of the shift.

First dive dusk. Get a feel for the site and the day shift leaving and the night shift clocking in. Then the second dive.

Back in the day before GPS and nitrox, we would head out at dusk and set up a marker with glow tubes. Grab a sandwhich during the SI then navigate to the marker for our "night" dive.

DevilDiver
08-24-2009, 18:43
the water.

The full moon really seems to bring out the sharks as well, I guess it's easier for them to feed by the light.

Splitlip
08-24-2009, 19:22
the water.

The full moon really seems to bring out the sharks as well, I guess it's easier for them to feed by the light.
Exactly. And we all know they do not want us. That is why so many "attacks" are really just bite and release;once the animal realizes (by taste) that a diver is not his usual prey.

So the moon is good and bad. The animal can see you (but clear enough?). Will he still mistake an appendage for his prey in the darker light? Not sure. I know as a surfer, the more turbid the water the more the risk. (plus the full moon can have an effect on the fluids in their small brains and what acts like an inner ear. Making them more unpredictable. That is where the Werewolf legends come from.

I always recommend a full wetsuit for night dives. Does two things. Hopefuly the animal tastes the neoprene before he locks his upper jaw, number one. Number two, the suit helps to retain the muscle and tissue it tears loose.

Not to be overly concerned though. Night dives are worth it.

PSYCHE!

Kingpatzer
08-24-2009, 20:48
some of my most memorable dives have been night dives. Spent a whole dive in Bonaire once with a HUGE tarpon swimming circles lazily around me waiting for my light to shine onto something.

He was just an amazing fish to watch. I spent more time looking at him than at the rest of the reef!

Splitlip
09-06-2009, 23:49
Do it yet?:003:
YouTube - Fear of the dark Iron Maiden rare (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx8HwFpxv54)

navyhmc
09-07-2009, 03:33
Don't keep us in suspense BR, how was the dive?

BRsnow
09-07-2009, 12:33
Yep, at the airport waiting for the flight home, the whole trip was incredible...thought I would be a bit nervous on the night dives, but just jumped and enjoyed. Only needed a small light, the primary was too much. Thanks for all the insights, BR

PACKRMAN
09-07-2009, 16:29
Yep, at the airport waiting for the flight home, the whole trip was incredible...thought I would be a bit nervous on the night dives, but just jumped and enjoyed. Only needed a small light, the primary was too much. Thanks for all the insights, BR

Thats it?

I for one want more detail
:smilie40:

BRsnow
09-07-2009, 20:14
No worries, I was using my iphone earlier, I am home now. The whole trip was great. We dive with an incredible dive family business down there, so we saw a ton and dove some great caves that exited over the abyss...day highlights, 6 plus foot moray eel swimming along the reef in the middle of the day, lots of eagle rays, those were a first for me...a bunch of sharks. Some of the sharks were quite large. A bunch of turtles, sting rays, really large barracuda as well.

For the night dive, it was almost a full moon, so that really added to it. From the moment the boat started out, I was overcome with a serious calm. It was very peaceful. Once in the water it got even better. I was super relaxed and I believe it has added about 10 minutes to my air time. I was able to stay down for a long time on the night dive and was able to stay down the last day on the first dive for 47 minutes with a max depth of 111 with 500 psi left and 1 hour two minutes the second dive with a max depth of 53 feet and 800 psi left. This was quite a bit better than pre-night dive. I was so relaxed my breathing was better and I was more focused on the sea life. The crabs that came out were huge, I saw a seriously colorful black/green/yellow spotted eel. Lots of lobsters as well. The angel fish trying to sleep was interesting as well. There was a smaller octopus playing hide n seek with me, I turned my light to another direction to where my buddies were and there was a seriously large grouper hoping that octopus would come out of the coral. My buddy showed me the bioluminesence around the bottom of the tube coral also....it ended relaxing on the surface under the moonlight while the boat motored over.

I really like the day dives better, but will try to include a couple of night ones each trip, a whole different world for sure....BR

p.s. one of my buddies on this trip took seriously incredible photos and videos. He has a real nack for it...they are down for another week or so, but I will post photos we he sends them to me....

PACKRMAN
09-07-2009, 20:37
Sounds great:smiley20:
Can't wait to see the photos

BRsnow
09-17-2009, 19:26
Here are some photos, my buddy John got some great shots. The big Moray out in the middle of the day swimming along was great. There are also some up close and person shots of a very large barracuda I am waiting to have emailed over. Great trip for sure...BR