PDA

View Full Version : Fat to Fit, follow my progress

Flatliner
08-23-2009, 20:01
OK, here's the deal. As those who know me can tell you I am not exactly super fit. I'm not horribly out of shape but I am much rounder in the middle than I would like to be. A few months ago my wife started to walk with a couple of friends in order to do a half marathon next year. I was inspired.

I have been walking every day for a month or so now and I am feeling significantly better than I have in quite a while. I was also inspired by the couch to 5K posts recently so I am going to offically start the program tomorrow morning.

I am going to post my progress on here and I would ask you to all keep me accountable.

One other thing I am doing is the direct life program from Philips. The company is letting all of us employees do it for free if we want and it is really cool. What it is is a small device like a pedometer that measures core body activity to determine calorie burn during the day. Last week I set my baseline and I am now monitoring my activity level and finding things that help me burn calories other than traditional exercise.

As of tonight, I am 6'4" and weigh 258lbs
Yesterday, I burned 1666 Calories with activity according to my monitor

I plan on posting about my walk/run and other exercise activities daily and an update on weight weekly.

chinacat46
08-23-2009, 20:14
Good luck! Not only do I hope you reach your goal but I hope you keep it off after you reach it. Keep exercising!

tonka97
08-23-2009, 20:41
Way to go Flatliner!

Sounds like you have a good program of diet AND exercise....the type that you can include in your lifestyle.

Every day you will be closer to your goal.

gee
08-24-2009, 01:35
Good luck flatliner. It's brave of you to post your progress. :smiley32:Will you be trying the half marathon with your wife?

Flatliner
08-24-2009, 07:19
Good luck flatliner. It's brave of you to post your progress. :smiley32:Will you be trying the half marathon with your wife?

The Jury is still out on that. My wife has always been in better shape than me. If I am at a point where I can do it I might but my bigger motivation is that I want a new dry suit and I promised myself I won't buy one at this weight.

On another note, we are one of those cute couples (She's cute and I make us a couple) that cause people to look at us and ponder the question, "what's she doing with that guy?!" I was the class nerd and (not kidding) she was both the prom queen AND the valedictorian.

BoomerNJ
08-24-2009, 08:04
Good luck Flatliner! I did a program through my FD back in February & lost 55lbs (so far) and I also ran my first Triathlon back in July & now I'm hooked! I am doing another tri this fall & a big one next spring, a 1/2 Ironman. Triathlon is an extremely fun & challenging way to get in shape! I highly recommend it. The entry level is a sprint distance that pretty much anyone can do with a little effort. It's a 500m swim, a 10-15 mile bike & a 5k run. All the distances are plus or minus a few meters here or there, depending on the race director & course. It's an incredible rush to just finish one! Plus the training is different every day. It's a total blast & very addicting (like scuba)... Again, good luck Robert & remember to have fun! If it's not at least a little enjoyable it won't last, so make it fun!

Flatliner
08-24-2009, 08:52
Well, I discovered my first problem this morning. My wife wasn't walking with her friends today so she went with me. My stride when running is WAY longer than hers. I guess we won't be running together. Not the end of the world but marginally disappointing.

BubblesMcCoy
08-24-2009, 09:12
Good for you Flatliner. I've also been working on trimming down as the desk job has had me rounding out over the last couple of years. My only advice is to find what really motivates you. For me its an almost impossible goal that keeps me turning down lunch with the guys to hit the gym.

Once you find what keeps you going, it's all downhill from there. Good luck!

DivingCRNA
08-24-2009, 09:47
Not to discourage you from posting here, but when I was able to run regularly I found the Beginning runners form at the Runner's World Magazine site to be an excellent resource and source of support.

Good luck with the fitness work!

SammyJ
08-24-2009, 15:32
I have subscribed to this thread and you are hereby accountable :).

What is your goal weight? What sort of exercises are you doing?

Flatliner
08-24-2009, 21:23
OK, So I had the day off on PTO today so I had more of a chance to be active than normal. I did step one of the couch to 5k early in the AM and I went for several more walks throughout the day. I also worked on a project in the garage with my dad. All in all a good day. I kept my eating under control and according to the little do-dad I burned 2010 Calories as of a couple of min. ago. 1 down, a lifetime to go...

caburrid
08-25-2009, 20:24
Best of luck Flatliner! I am following ya!!!

Flatliner
08-25-2009, 20:38
Really good day today! I will admit I was pretty hungry at lunch and supper but I didn't overeat. My 5 year old overcame his fear of going fast on his bike so I ran to keep up with him on several "walks" for more than 30 min each in addition to my planned 6am week 1 run/walk. I also went on an hour "walk and chat" with my wife. According to the magic box, I burned almost 2400 Cal. by story time with the munchkin a little bit ago.

Flatliner
08-27-2009, 08:43
OK, Last day of PTO was yesterday. Went diving with my son last night and I wore the little doo-dad underwater for the first time. I finished the day just short of the 2K Cal. that is my actual personal activity goal but WAY beyond the goal set for me by the program. I am a little worried about today and tomorrow as I am back in the grind.

bealskt
08-27-2009, 09:23
Good luck Flatliner. I have the same problem running with my girlfriend. Keep up the hard work and keep us in the loop!

Flatliner
08-27-2009, 20:22
This having a job thing is going to severly cut into my Cal. burning. Rather than posting Cal. count every day, I think I will just post thoughts and observations and then post an updated chart on the weekend.

Anyway, all I have time for right now.

Vercingetorix
08-27-2009, 20:31
Recent studies have shown that exercising is not really conducive to losing weight. I know that sounds counter-intuitive, because you're burning more calories. However, the person tends to eat more calories as well or "reward" themselves for their exercise. Watching one's diet is the most effective method of weight loss.

Mind you, I'm not denigrating the cardio-vascular benefits of exercise. The studies show this to be a true benefit. Just, not weight-loss.

Vlane
08-27-2009, 23:08
Recent studies have shown that exercising is not really conducive to losing weight. I know that sounds counter-intuitive, because you're burning more calories. However, the person tends to eat more calories as well or "reward" themselves for their exercise. Watching one's diet is the most effective method of weight loss.

Mind you, I'm not denigrating the cardio-vascular benefits of exercise. The studies show this to be a true benefit. Just, not weight-loss.
I can see how that would work out with quite a few people. Diet is definitely important, big duh though. Only advice I can think of though is drink a lot of water. A lot times when you think you're hungry you are actually thirsty. Sucks going to the bathroom all the time but it can make a big difference.

tonka97
08-28-2009, 06:50

Nope, you are utterly wrong.

A leaner life requires both diet and exercise. (Let's ignore the quick starvation loss or ketotic diets that are temporary and usually result in a rebound of even more fat composition)

The two work together.

Try one without the other, and the result is FAIL.

:smiley2:

Way to go Flatliner!

Flatliner
08-28-2009, 11:34
Perhaps I haven't communicated clearly. I am exercising more AND eating less.

SlvrDragon50
08-28-2009, 17:23

You read that from Time Magazine didn't you :P

It's false IMO. Weight loss requires self control. If the goal is to lose weight, then the person will fix their diet rather than reward themselves for exercising.

Diet is important but exercising help's extravagantly.

dawnvip
08-28-2009, 22:19
Well, I discovered my first problem this morning. My wife wasn't walking with her friends today so she went with me. My stride when running is WAY longer than hers. I guess we won't be running together. Not the end of the world but marginally disappointing.

My hubby has a much larger stride than I do too, but I am in a bit better shape, so if he shortens his stride just a bit and jogs, while I stretch my stride to run a bit faster, we even out! Don't give up! Running is as addictive as scuba or golf and a great share sport with the honey. Just trying to push yourself that extra sprint at the end of the run and you'll be hooked. Keep up the great work and can't wait to read more!
Dawn

tonka97
08-29-2009, 08:00
Perhaps I haven't communicated clearly. I am exercising more AND eating less.

A prescription for WIN.

:smiley20:

Flatliner
08-30-2009, 09:39
Can't figure out how to post my chart and don't have time to mess with it.

Lost 5.2 pounds this week.:smiley20:

Travelnsj
08-30-2009, 10:33
Hey Flatliner....good luck....I trying to do the same thing....although I am a couple of inches shorter I'm sure our body Fat ratio is about the same...Too Much!....I've lost 10 lbs in August....goal was 15lbs. I have at least another 15 lbs to get off before St Croix and an additional 10 lbs before Raja Ampat....That is if I want to fly in the Ultra Lite that Max got for his slim guests.

I tell ya a good Chocolate Chip cookie looks almost as good as that 18 year old hardbody at the gym!

Flatliner
08-30-2009, 13:59
Hi all,

I am needing to be off the board for a couple of days. I am behind on some projects at work and am swearing off ST Forum until I get caught up. Hope to post an update on Tuesday...

SkItZo
08-30-2009, 16:00
FL hope all goes well I was up to 235 at 6'1" and now I'm back down to my healthy 165 Exercise is big key it's gonna take a while but stick with it and you'll see results. DISCIPLINE is the hardest thing but it is KEY. BEST of LUCK!!!!!

bainster
09-05-2009, 22:10
Hi Flatliner

Good luck with the program, I did the same about 18 months ago I was 290lbs and I am only 5 11 so my bmi was really bad, and I wanted to get back into diving. The great news is now that that I am 185 lbs which I am really happy about because I am less weight now than I was when I was 21 and I have more stamina I have a better bottom time now and doing a lot more diving, and I have started doing 5k's and finding them a lot of fun.

Gregorio
09-06-2009, 03:27
Very impressive all; I'm 5'11" and 200lbs and looking at dropping a fair portion of that too. Good luck to everyone!

tonka97
09-06-2009, 06:50
A suggestion:

Avoid getting that 'gorge instinct' between your scheduled meals by having a calorie sparse/satiety filling alternative.

An assortment of lightly steamed vegetables, bananas, and other fruits is great.

If I'm joining friends at a high fat restaurant, it is handy to eat veggies before the meal, then easily minimize high fat foods. (ex. Mexican) I can enjoy the flavors but avoid excessive intake.

The gorging instinct will win the battle, unless we conquer it by creative food substitution.

:smiley20:

Recon
09-06-2009, 14:51
I am 5'10 238lbs... I have a beer guy... and that is the worst of it... I have a "fairly" muscular build, so the whole fat calc crap does not work imho.. what FL is doing is the key, I went from 270 to 225 (then back up over the last year) starting oct 31st 2007, diet and exercise all the way through july of 2008, then work stepped in and stopped me from getting what I needed to get done.. done... so thus the 20 pound addition, I will get to the point of 205 lbs.. that is my goal weight, anything less then that, and I look like a starving cancer patient (no insults intended).

~Recon

Flatliner
09-07-2009, 09:19
OK,

I am the guy who made a committment to do this publically so here goes. I am not sure what I did wrong this week. My daily average Calorie burn was about 1600 Cal. (a little less than last week but it was a tough week at work) I did very well on my eating except for Friday night when we went out to a bar-b-que place:smiley30: and according to my Sat AM weight I actually GAINED a pound over last week:smiley21:. This was VERY disappointing. I expected a 2-3 pound loss. Emotionally this was pretty discouraging.

I am not doing any weight training at this point or I might chalk it up to muscle mass build up. My wife (who tends to be brutally honest with me) says that she can visabally see my stomach shrinking and encouraged me to NOT weigh myself but I am doing this mostly so I can get to my goal weight so the idea of NOT getting on the scale doesn't really work for me.

This AM I went for a pretty fast 6 mile walk/run with my wife. I will see how I do this week but I really don't understand how I could have gained last week.

Robert

Travelnsj
09-07-2009, 09:30
Flatliner....I'm so pi$$ed at my self...was doing well until last week...stopped my weight loss also! Expected to have off another 5lbs this last week absoutely Nothing was lost! I guess the key is eat half of what ever is in front of you.

tonka97
09-07-2009, 12:54
OK,

I am the guy who made a committment to do this publically so here goes. I am not sure what I did wrong this week. My daily average Calorie burn was about 1600 Cal. (a little less than last week but it was a tough week at work) I did very well on my eating except for Friday night when we went out to a bar-b-que place:smiley30: and according to my Sat AM weight I actually GAINED a pound over last week:smiley21:. This was VERY disappointing. I expected a 2-3 pound loss. Emotionally this was pretty discouraging.

I am not doing any weight training at this point or I might chalk it up to muscle mass build up. My wife (who tends to be brutally honest with me) says that she can visabally see my stomach shrinking and encouraged me to NOT weigh myself but I am doing this mostly so I can get to my goal weight so the idea of NOT getting on the scale doesn't really work for me.

This AM I went for a pretty fast 6 mile walk/run with my wife. I will see how I do this week but I really don't understand how I could have gained last week.

Robert

Your wife is right! (and supportive....appreciate it!)

Weigh yourself every couple of weeks.

The daily weight fluctuations due to hydration and intestinal contents will discourage you!

Before eating at the BarBQ place, a snack of lightly steamed veggies, apple, or banana would have dampened your apetite....resulting in far less calories.

Suggest a fiber supplement too....I mix mine in a fruit smoothie.

Makes a difference!:smiley20:

DJBadfish
09-08-2009, 14:43
The whole weight loss plateaus can be quite discouraging for sure. I hit a plataeu about a month or so ago. I had lost 25lbs just stopped losing. If anything it just made me more aware of what I was eating (I realized I had been grabbing too many "little bites" as snacks between meals) and I also had gotten used to what exercise I was doing so I had to kick it up and vary what I was doing. After a couple weeks of minimal loss I started dropping again. Now so far this summer (14 weeks) I have lost 45 lbs.

Keep up the good work! You will be amazed how much better you feel as the weight keeps coming off!

Flatliner
09-08-2009, 14:47
Thanks DJ.

My coach (through the work program) said essentially the same thing. I appreciate it.

Flatliner
09-19-2009, 08:55
---Under 250---
I was under 250 for the first time in years (249.2) this morning. I should have lost a little more but it has been insane at work and it really cut into exercising the last few weeks.

snagel
09-19-2009, 09:19
Hey Flatliner,

Great Job and Great Committment (I need to be there with you). Yes, work does sometimes get in the way of things. I remember one of the contestants on last years "Biggest Loser" saying, "I thought I never had time to workout, but I always had time to lay around an watch TV".

Keep in mind also that weight loss is not the only good thing you are doing. The increased cardio is making you healthier. Being more active is a good thing and losing weight while doing it is a plus.

Snagel

Flatliner
09-19-2009, 09:36
LOL, to give you an idea, Monday and Tuesday were 6am to Midnight in a NICU installing a new wireless network to some patient monitors and training nurses how to use it. I haven't watched TV (except for a Nebraska game with my son) for months.

Travelnsj
09-19-2009, 09:54
Flatliner....I have been dieting for the last 6 weeks...feel like I am starving...I eat nothing after 4pm....sensible meals for lunch....And I exercise daily...I have only lost 2 to 3 lbs a week....so far 15 lbs....I expected to lose 4 to 5 lbs a week. But if I can get another 5 lbs off before St. Croix October 1st....I guess I'll be happy!

Noob
09-19-2009, 15:50
:smiley20:Keep up the good work

Mik52
09-29-2009, 13:35
We need an update FL. Want to make sure you are continuing the good work.

Flatliner
09-30-2009, 15:13
Still walking/running a couple of times a day and eating a LOT better. I am still losing weight but I haven't been on the scale since I last posted my weight. I figured this Sunday morning I was due to weight again. I have kinda fallen off the wagon on the 5k program though.

DJBadfish
09-30-2009, 15:35
Great job sticking with it! You should be proud! Thanks for keeping us updated! I've hit another weight loss plateau now, so I'm trying to push through by adding some interval work as well. I didn't really try the whole couch to 5k program and didn't follow it, but I ran my first 5k this last week! Keep up the good work brother!

palmboy
11-09-2009, 05:34
good on you mate from aus a tiny bit of effort and a lot of commitent can change a life keep going

GMDGeek
11-09-2009, 08:20
Have to tip my hat to you ... not easy finding the time or motivation to get back into shape. I like you using the forums to put some accountability on yourself.

I had knee surgery 3 months ago and just got cleared to start hitting it heavier and decided I was going to kill myself and try out the P90X program... my bud did it and dang he dropped weight and shaped up endurance fast. So I figured what the heck. I'll let ya know how it works if you are interested.

5'9" and 253lbs here want to get to 210lbs.

Thanks again for the post and the motivation it brings.

Gerry

Doug B
12-25-2009, 21:27
After nearly 20 years, I got back on my bicycle in June 2009, and started riding about one hour, as hard as I could, at least five nights a week.

In my highschool and college days, I was riding in excess of 200 miles a week. I was in tremendous shape, and could knock out thirty miles in 90 minutes with no problem.

After three months, I set the 20 year old bike aside and bought a new bike.

I haven't really weighed myself, so I don't know if I'm losing weight or not. I got much stronger though, rather quickly.

I was riding up until mid November, but the cold weather and black of night when I get home from work now has pretty much put a stop to that. I put the bike on an indoor trainer, but that is BORING.

But, I'm 230 pounds, 5'11'', and I want to get down to 200 pounds by next summer.

One benefit I noticed..... My normal dive buddy has for years always had 500 to 800 psi more air than me at the end of a dive. Not anymore. Now I have 500 to 800 more air than him. My air consumption is MUCH better now.

thesmoothdome
12-26-2009, 14:58
After nearly 20 years, I got back on my bicycle in June 2009, and started riding about one hour, as hard as I could, at least five nights a week.

But, I'm 230 pounds, 5'11'', and I want to get down to 200 pounds by next summer.

One benefit I noticed..... My normal dive buddy has for years always had 500 to 800 psi more air than me at the end of a dive. Not anymore. Now I have 500 to 800 more air than him. My air consumption is MUCH better now.

I just bought my first road bike last month with the goal of getting from 195 to 175 in the next few months. My rides have been averaging around 25 miles with some stretching out to 35-45 with lots of climbing.

To keep pushing myself, I've signed up to ride a century for diabetes in April. Since I've already received donations, I'm totally committed. Hopefully, I can get my mileage up to around 70miles a shot by the end of January.

I'm also hoping to see the benefit in bottom time :).

whichwayis_up
12-30-2009, 13:03
Best thing to do when you fall off the wagon is jump right back on when you can.

Filippo
01-05-2010, 04:21
Keep it up!