PDA

View Full Version : Dive report from 8/21-23

navyhmc
08-24-2009, 00:12
Had some fairly decent dives but great times this weekend. Missed a few folks, wish you were there, but still all in all a good weekend.

Jeff, Don and I had a couple of dives Friday afternoon, the vis was not the best silty and about 10' but we still did the dives. Jeff and Iwent to the cabin cruiser and then set a line trying to find the dog house-still!-without luck. The three of us adid a followup dive to the door knob and then up the road.

Saturday, Jeff was doing Deep Tec dives so I bummed around the depeer side as there were a lot of students mucking up the shallows-understandable but still low vis is low vis and is to be avoided. A total of 4 dives.

Sunday about the same vis and the smae dive profiles-staying out of the students way.

The water temp is 61f at the cabin cruiser, warm enough that all I wore on Sunday was a skin and the john of my john and jacket. I was a little cool by the end of dive 3, but nothing like it was in Feb!!!

Hopefully I can get back soon, but the wife has plans for me for the next weekends. :smiley19:

DJBadfish
08-24-2009, 07:23
My dive buddies and I were up there on Saturday and had a great time! It was our first visit to Oronogo and had a blast! My first dive was a little shaky as I had a lot of trouble equalizing my ears on descent. Also, I had severely underestimated the blackness when you drop off the wall into the abyss to about a hundred feet. The first dive I only got down to about 80' before heading back to sunlit waters where I surfaced with a profanity laced tirade. After a nice lunch in the sun we went down for the second dive and hit the 110' mark. My ears cooperated more on this dive. We explored the plane and several boats, the golf cart and on the way back to the surface, the air cave. All in all one of the best dives of my short diving career!
I wish I could have met more of you while we were there. It seemed like most of the people there were students so didn't get to talk to alot of people. I was the big guy there with tattoo sleeves...

DivingCRNA
08-24-2009, 07:44
Bob-It was good to dive with you again. You did forget to mention all the debris on the surface at Oronogo. Splitlip could NEVER could have dove there this last weekend. There were STICKS EVERYWHERE!!!!

cummings66
08-24-2009, 10:12
Hey, that's so funny. Dang sticks, so common you'd think they grow on trees...:smilie39:

navyhmc
08-24-2009, 11:53
Bob-It was good to dive with you again. You did forget to mention all the debris on the surface at Oronogo. Splitlip could NEVER could have dove there this last weekend. There were STICKS EVERYWHERE!!!!

I didn't want to scare split, so I left out the part abut the sticks. :smiley20::smiley36:

Yeah, the dead algea was all over the entry on Friday. The wind changed a little on Sat and Sun so it was at the south end those two days.

DJ, where were you at on Saturday? I was the guy solo diving with doubles, had my gear over by the picknick tables (light blue chev pu).

Vlane
08-24-2009, 13:12
Just curious, do you guys usually do single or doubles diving when you go there? Don't exactly have the exposure protection to go there now but would love to join you guys one of these days.

navyhmc
08-24-2009, 13:31
Just curious, do you guys usually do single or doubles diving when you go there? Don't exactly have the exposure protection to go there now but would love to join you guys one of these days.

Both. I will either use a LP121 or double 119s. For me, the biggest advantage to doubles is that you don't have to carry them up the hill for a fill after each dive. But you do have to carry them down and up at the end!

As for exposure protection, right now the surface temps are around 75f and 95' at the cabin cruiser is 62f-63f. I did my dives Sunday in only my 7mm john and was wishing I had brought my 3/2. The 7mm john and jacket was literally too much for me. Others that were there were in a 7mm one piece with hood and gloves and said it was cold. Since you're in Rogers, I would imagine what you wear right now at Beaver will work okay.

DJBadfish
08-24-2009, 14:39
Navy:
I was over in the parking area on the other side of the road down. Drove the grey Nissan Titan. I walked right past you over there when I was getting my tanks filled. I wish I would have stopped and said Hi now.

The temp was actually quite nice. I wore a 5mm standard wetsuit and was comfortable. My buddy had a 7mm farmer john.... On the second dive he didn't wear the jacket at all and was pretty comfortable, though we were not down at depth (100ft)for very long.

K9Pig
08-24-2009, 16:01
Navy (Bob), it was good to finally put a name with a face. Had a good time and will return again, hopefully sooner rather than later. 3 dives just wasn't enough for me, but had good company and that's all that matters.:smiley20:

I finally found my money clip under the back seat instead of the front where I thought I had put it...:smiley29::smiley9::smiley9:

navyhmc
08-24-2009, 16:11
Navy (Bob), it was good to finally put a name with a face. Had a good time and will return again, hopefully sooner rather than later. 3 dives just wasn't enough for me, but had good company and that's all that matters.:smiley20:

I finally found my money clip under the back seat instead of the front where I thought I had put it...:smiley29::smiley9::smiley9:

I am Very happy to hear that! :smiley20: :smiley20: :smiley20:

PTAaron
08-24-2009, 16:13
Sound like a good time!
Glad you finally got in the water!

Vlane
08-24-2009, 19:55
Temperature isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I met one diver at Beaver dam who said temps were usually around 55 so with my 7mm that would be chilly. Don't know if I'll get around to it this year but it's something to shoot for next year.

navyhmc
08-24-2009, 20:21
Temperature isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I met one diver at Beaver dam who said temps were usually around 55 so with my 7mm that would be chilly. Don't know if I'll get around to it this year but it's something to shoot for next year.

Keep an eye on DDCN, we have get togethers on ocasion.

maverick
08-24-2009, 20:25
I'll B looking 4 the next DDCN dive. Couldn't make the last one.

Vlane
08-24-2009, 21:17
Keep an eye on DDCN, we have get togethers on ocasion.
You should make your way down a little further to Beaver :smiley2:.

maverick
08-25-2009, 00:09
Anytime there is a Beaver Lake dive count me in.

jamiejo
08-25-2009, 20:21

I was in line behind you during the sign in process. Guess I should have put two and two together after reading the back of your shirt.

jamiejo
08-25-2009, 20:22
Navy:
I was over in the parking area on the other side of the road down. Drove the grey Nissan Titan. I walked right past you over there when I was getting my tanks filled. I wish I would have stopped and said Hi now.

The temp was actually quite nice. I wore a 5mm standard wetsuit and was comfortable. My buddy had a 7mm farmer john.... On the second dive he didn't wear the jacket at all and was pretty comfortable, though we were not down at depth (100ft)for very long.

I seen you there too...guess we should start wearing name tags or something. I was parked up front with the Toyota FJ Cruiser..

DJBadfish
08-26-2009, 13:15
Well damn... I just about missed everybody I guess. I think I was just too excited (or maybe narc'd) about the dang caves I found. My buddies and I are already planning our next trip up to Oronogo hopefully in the next few weeks.