PDA

View Full Version : EyeFi Card and U/W Set up

BubblesMcCoy
08-24-2009, 09:04
I'm putting together my first u/w photo set up and ran across the EyeFi card which is a memory card with a built in wifi transmitter. Essentially, the card waits until it senses an active wifi network and then starts uploading all of your photos automatically.

My thought it this. If I can set my system up to upload automatically, then that would (theoretically) reduce the number of times that I would have to unseal my housing in between repetitive dives. In theory, reducing the chances of tearing or miss-aligning the seal and causing great electronic mayhem.

As I'm just getting starting with u/w photo my system will be fairly simple. A cannon 770IS with an ikelite housing. I do mostly local freshwater dives but try to take an extended ocean trip a couple of times a year. So, it's not uncommon for my buddy and I to be uploading his camara on shore during the surface interval.

Has anyone tried this kind of set up? Is it worth the trouble? What issues am I not thinking about that will make this a certifiable pita?

fisheater
08-24-2009, 09:40
You'll probably need to change batteries far more often than memory cards, so I don't think that you'd get a whole lot of benefit in that regard.

hooligan
08-24-2009, 09:59
My advice would be to spend that kind money on a 32GB SDHC card instead. Drop the resolution on camera from 10MP to 6 or 7 and you could store a whole helluva lot of pix on once card. I don't know exactly where you dive, but I don't think finding a WiFi hotspot during your SI is going to be all that easy. And as fisheater said, you'll most likely be limited by your battery, not the storage on your memory card. I just think the price of the EyeFi cards are too high for what they do.

PlatypusMan
08-24-2009, 10:27
Essentially, the card waits until it senses an active wifi network and then starts uploading all of your photos automatically.

I have a problem if this is what the card actually does. In a world filled with wifi spots, how do you prevent the card from attempting to upload every single time it senses a network, including those you don't want a connection to?

PPM

BubblesMcCoy
08-24-2009, 11:51
My advice would be to spend that kind money on a 32GB SDHC card instead. Drop the resolution on camera from 10MP to 6 or 7 and you could store a whole helluva lot of pix on once card. I don't know exactly where you dive, but I don't think finding a WiFi hotspot during your SI is going to be all that easy. And as fisheater said, you'll most likely be limited by your battery, not the storage on your memory card. I just think the price of the EyeFi cards are too high for what they do.

The cards around $50, so I don't find it outrageous if there is some advantage to it. I've presently got a 16 gig card and have yet to fill it while topside even at a full 10mp quality. But, then again I don't run a whole lot of video topside.

As far as finding a WiFi hotspot topside is concerned, not so worried as it's easy enough to set up a wireless net on buddy's laptop which he tends to bring with him anyways. Battery is concern though. I imagine that the card will eat up battery. Topside the camera can go for weeks with fairly consistent use between recharges, but with WiFi enabled, there's no telling.

BubblesMcCoy
08-24-2009, 11:54
Essentially, the card waits until it senses an active wifi network and then starts uploading all of your photos automatically.

I have a problem if this is what the card actually does. In a world filled with wifi spots, how do you prevent the card from attempting to upload every single time it senses a network, including those you don't want a connection to?

PPM

You can set the card to only connect to known wireless nets or to hotspots. I completely see where you are coming from, as far as privacy concerns. If it were pictures of anything but fishes and sea weed I probably wouldn't even consider it. But, lets face it, I love gadgets nearly as much I love scuba.

You see the problem?

CompuDude
08-24-2009, 17:10
I unseal my camera after every dive to swap batteries anyway. But I see the attraction. And if I had a camera that could last all day on one set of batteries, this might be a more interesting option.

Thing is, though, WiFi transfer speeds are probably going to be SLOW compared to popping the chip out and dumping it via a reader, or plugging a cord into the camera. And, as was noted, will likely be quite a drain on the camera's battery.

I appreciate tech toys as much (or more!) than most (see my screenname? 'nuff said), but I don't see an advantage to this one... or to those cameras that have this as a built-in feature.

hooligan
08-24-2009, 18:08
I also love gadgets... much to the chagrin of my wife. When I first heard of the eyefi cards awhile ago, I thought it would be an awesome addition to my Nikon D90. After further thought I decided a high speed Sandisk Extreme III SDHC would be a much wiser purchase. I can dump 4 gigs off that card extremely quickly to my laptop. I can only imagine how much time it would take to try to upload 4GB of pictures off some ad hoc (if you can even get it to connect to an ad hoc network) or some coffee shop wifi with 128kbs max upload speed. I just couldn't convince myself that the eyefis were worth their premium price... now my 16x Extreme cards were worth every penny when it comes to burst shooting on my D90. But with a point and shoot, I'd just stick with card you already have.