PDA

View Full Version : Morgans Spring August 21st 2009

TommyB
08-24-2009, 14:44
On Friday August 21st five of us set off for Morgans Spring, Hamilton County (Denise, TJ, Peter, TommyB and Manual).

http://www.divetraining.net/pictures/2009_aug_23/DSC04319.jpg

Morgan Spring is a less dived/traveled cave northeast of Ellaville. It flows into the Withlacoochee River a short distance away, and the spring pool itself is quite low at the moment. It is located on private property, and all the appropriate waivers must be completed before you dive here. Cave diving here is considered technical diving, so appropriate training, experience and planning are essential.

The owner of the property spent a lot of money a few years back on putting decking around the whole spring, and it looks really good, and makes transporting all those bottles up and down a lot easier.

http://www.divetraining.net/pictures/2009_aug_23/DSC04333.jpg

We mixed all our gas on Thursday and planned for a 30 min dive. We each had backgas (two bottles) of Trimix (21/30 mix), a 32% Nitrox and an O2 bottle.

Plans courtesy of TommyB:

Decompression model: VPM - B

DIVE PLAN
Surface interval = 5 day 0 hr 0 min.
Elevation = 0ft
Conservatism = + 3

Dec to 180ft (3) Triox 21/35 50ft/min descent.
Level 180ft (30) Triox 21/35 1.32 ppO2, 85ft ead,
Asc to 120ft (32) Triox 21/35 -30ft/min ascent.
Asc to 110ft (32) Nitrox 32 -30ft/min ascent.
Stop at 110ft 0:40 (33) Nitrox 32 1.36 ppO2, 90ft ead
Stop at 100ft 1:00 (34) Nitrox 32 1.26 ppO2, 81ft ead
Stop at 90ft 1:00 (35) Nitrox 32 1.17 ppO2, 73ft ead
Stop at 80ft 1:00 (36) Nitrox 32 1.07 ppO2, 64ft ead
Stop at 70ft 1:00 (37) Nitrox 32 0.98 ppO2, 56ft ead
Stop at 60ft 2:00 (39) Nitrox 32 0.89 ppO2, 47ft ead
Stop at 50ft 3:00 (42) Nitrox 32 0.79 ppO2, 38ft ead
Stop at 40ft 4:00 (46) Nitrox 32 0.70 ppO2, 30ft ead
Stop at 30ft 7:00 (53) Nitrox 32 0.60 ppO2, 21ft ead
Stop at 20ft 7:00 (60) Oxygen 1.59 ppO2, 0ft ead
Stop at 10ft 12:00 (72) Oxygen 1.29 ppO2, 0ft ead
Surface (72) Oxygen -30ft/min ascent.

Off gassing starts at 130.6ft

OTU's this dive: 92
CNS Total: 37.6%

133.8 cu ft Triox 21/35
33.6 cu ft Nitrox 32
17.1 cu ft Oxygen
184.5 cu ft TOTAL

There was no duckweed on the surface, and the water was a dark green, with no visible boil on the surface. The visibility in the spring was 10-15 feet, but cleared as soon as we entered the cave. The entrance to the cave is in the center of the spring, a small hole at about 30 feet, and from there, the cave crops sharply down (in an almost zig zag fashion) through a-one-diver-at-a-time shaft to 120 feet. We left our Nitrox bottles on a log here, and followed the line to 180 feet. From there, the cave takes a sharp turn right and continues on at 180 feet for a long time.

This was my first time diving here, and I was amazed at the similarity between Morgans and Peacock I Mainline. The color and texture of the walls, tunnel size and layout are freakingly similar! There was a lot of life down there too, we saw lots of albino blind cave crayfish and hogchokers, swimming around there happily at 180 feet!

Unlike Peacock, there were no mars, scruffs or handmarks, it was just beautiful to see. However, back at the entrance, I found (and removed) some trash, an unwelcome reminder that humans don’t have to visit a place to pollute it :(

We made good time in the cave, and in our allotted 15 minute travel time, we swam to the 600 feet line marker. We turned and TommyB led the way out, and started our decompression at 110 feet. Deco was a bit cramped in the small shaft, but we managed it.

Two gas switches, and 45 minutes later, we were back on the surface. It was a VERY nice dive…..and I hope to see a lot more of Morgans in the future.

Manual took some photos with his camera too, as soon as I get them, I will post the link to them here too.
Here's the Run times and Profile from my X1

Date 8/21/2009
Start 3:04
End 4:17
Runtime 73 mins

Max 174.8ft
Surf Pressure 1007mb
CNS% 0 to 31%

in_cavediver
08-24-2009, 17:03
I gotta look at morgan next time I head down.....
Heck - I still need to see the nest. Maybe this winter...

TommyB
08-24-2009, 17:21
Get with Bill R. He's got the waivers, directions, etc. Cost = 10.00 per person to cover the insurance (Guess that's the reason for the 10.00) :)

LiteHedded
08-26-2009, 07:38
i hear the vis at the nest is exceptional at the moment

in_cavediver
08-26-2009, 11:52
i hear the vis at the nest is exceptional at the moment

Pity I am 900 miles away and at work.........

sucks........

LiteHedded
09-09-2009, 08:43
Tommy,
is morgan a straight shot down to 180ish? I'm trying to plan a dive there and have never been before
bill rennaker tells me it sort of corkscrews down to the bottom. what's the profile like?

LiteHedded
09-20-2009, 21:06
Tommy,
is morgan a straight shot down to 180ish? I'm trying to plan a dive there and have never been before
bill rennaker tells me it sort of corkscrews down to the bottom. what's the profile like?

answered my own question. it kinda corkscrews :P
pretty cave!

TommyB
09-20-2009, 22:02
Tommy,

pretty cave!

Profile - is almost a corkscrew.
Look at the computer profile I posted above and that will give ya a good idea of how fast it drops to 180.
Sorry, I missed the question you posted on the 9th. In the process of getting all my stuff / house / dogs / etc for a move to Switzerland

LiteHedded
09-21-2009, 07:50
oh no worries man.
sometimes not knowing is more fun anyway :P
you don't have a decent map of this system do you? the one I have looks like it was xeroxed from cocktail napkins and you can't read hardly any of the text :( the line is knotted so I'm assuming someone's got a map

TommyB
09-21-2009, 08:33
you don't have a decent map of this system do you? the one I have looks like it was xeroxed from cocktail napkins and you can't read hardly any of the text :( the line is knotted so I'm assuming someone's got a map

Might have better luck over at cavediver.net ..
One of those guys over there might have a map. But a lot of these "off the beaten path" systems only have simple sketches.

While your over here doing Morgans, you might want to check into Edwards. That one is also a really cool dive. It's about 5 min drive from Morgans
Drops to 150, so it's another mix dive.
http://www.scubadiver.cc/forums/gallery/files/3/edwardssprings_1_thumb.jpg (http://www.scubadiver.cc/forums/gallery/showimage.php?i=3496&c=searchresults&searchid=6125)

LiteHedded
09-21-2009, 08:47

Might have better luck over at cavediver.net ..
One of those guys over there might have a map. But a lot of these "off the beaten path" systems only have simple sketches.

While your over here doing Morgans, you might want to check into Edwards. That one is also a really cool dive. It's about 5 min drive from Morgans
Drops to 150, so it's another mix dive.
http://www.scubadiver.cc/forums/gallery/files/3/edwardssprings_1_thumb.jpg (http://www.scubadiver.cc/forums/gallery/showimage.php?i=3496&c=searchresults&searchid=6125)
i've been thinking about that system but I'm not sure what the deal is with access there

TommyB
09-21-2009, 22:05
i've been thinking about that system but I'm not sure what the deal is with access there

You mean how to get there or permission.. No permission needed that I know of. You just go.. It's behind on of those weigh stations / ag stations on hwy 90.
Public land as far as I know.

The entrance to the cave vent is atrocious. It's a steep climb down. Using a rope is usually a good idea. The entrance is interesting. Under a rock boulder, the main line begins at 20 ft which has a rock where you can drop your oxygen bottles. The cave drops straight down a vertical rock fissure to a depth of 120 ft. The cave then levels off and runs under the Suwanee River towards the Suwanacoochee River Spring. Walls in the cave are red in color and lots of silt on the floor. The cave crosses three counties and two rivers. You can actually do a traverse from Edwards to Suwanacoochee if you are familiar with the system. There is an upstream section that you can dive for quite a ways. You can easily do 2,000 ft + penetration in this system.

There are no fees to dive the site. You can solo and DPV this site. Backmount or sidemount configuration is manageable here. The closest dive shop is back in Live Oak at Cave Excursions or Dive Outpost which is probably 30 minutes away. Although this cave is quite popular, it is a little off the beaten path

http://www.floridacaves.com/suwanacoocheecavemap.JPG

http://www.floridacaves.com/edward&Suwanacoocheemap.JPG

Tekdivr
09-21-2009, 22:21
Tommy,

pretty cave!

Profile - is almost a corkscrew.
Look at the computer profile I posted above and that will give ya a good idea of how fast it drops to 180.
Sorry, I missed the question you posted on the 9th. In the process of getting all my stuff / house / dogs / etc for a move to Switzerland

So is this move to Switzerland a permanent one?

TommyB
09-21-2009, 22:45

Nope, just for 3 years. Give or take. Not even selling our house here in Orlando. This way I have a place to come home to every couple of months to go and do "real cave diving" :\ :smilie40:

Maybe when I get back the country will be in better shape:smilie39:

Tekdivr
09-22-2009, 06:03

Nope, just for 3 years. Give or take. Not even selling our house here in Orlando. This way I have a place to come home to every couple of months to go and do "real cave diving" :\ :smilie40:

Maybe when I get back the country will be in better shape:smilie39:

I agree with your first statement, but the second one is obviously way out there!! :smiley29:

LiteHedded
09-22-2009, 07:19
sweet
I thought for some reason it was in the state park and only cindy butler's team had access to it.
I must be thinking of something different. maybe falmouth...